collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Manke Timber Access  (Read 3274 times)

Offline DamnDams

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Just another millennial adult onset hunter
  • Groups: BHA, TU, RGS
Manke Timber Access
« on: November 30, 2020, 10:40:19 AM »
Has anyone had any luck getting permission to hunt Manke land?

I have my eye on a piece of their property in Thurston County where I've seen some bucks. Looking to fill my ML tag, but they dont have their access policy listed anywhere. I callled the Shelton office and was told to email a guy named Kellen. Do they grant permission to hunt on their land or is asking a futile endeavor?

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
Re: Manke Timber Access
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 11:20:12 AM »
I tried a couple years ago, talked with one of manke’s, he was a member here.  Nice guy but told me they don’t allow access to hunt on their land.  I was bummed, had a nice spot.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline highside74

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 11:28:37 AM »
They will give access but they are trying to limit it. They are doing email written permission by the piece of property. Most guys treat it as a free for all. Kellan was at the property behind my buddies house a couple weeks ago and told my buddy that he would have exclusive access. But it doesn't stop other neighbors because my buddy runs into guys all the time. They will give you his number and he will talk to you. The Mankes are nice people and don't bigtime anyone as far as I can tell.

There is the rare instance that some neighbors complain about the excessive hunting and they shut that piece down but that is not often. One of the pieces in Eatonville is shut down and the neighbors call if you try and hunt it.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 12:29:36 PM »
They will give access but they are trying to limit it. They are doing email written permission by the piece of property. Most guys treat it as a free for all. Kellan was at the property behind my buddies house a couple weeks ago and told my buddy that he would have exclusive access. But it doesn't stop other neighbors because my buddy runs into guys all the time. They will give you his number and he will talk to you. The Mankes are nice people and don't bigtime anyone as far as I can tell.

There is the rare instance that some neighbors complain about the excessive hunting and they shut that piece down but that is not often. One of the pieces in Eatonville is shut down and the neighbors call if you try and hunt it.
Thats good to hear, the piece i was trying for was inside a gated property. 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 07:08:27 PM »
Out on the Kitsap Peninsula, Manke Timberlands used to always be open once fire season ended.  Same with Harstene Is.  I've seen more signs on their properties recently this year restricting access, but I believe the general population still treats them as open to hunt.  You have to spend some time of the phone to figure out what's what.  Please let us know what you find out.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline DamnDams

• Pilgrim
  • Just another millennial adult onset hunter
  • Groups: BHA, TU, RGS
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 07:30:50 PM »
I emailed about hunting the spot I was hoping to gain access to. And received a speedy reply granting me written permission via email. They just asked that I request permission next year. Sounds like they are pretty friendly about access but trying to keep tabs on it for various and legitimate reasons. 

Offline Quackaddict

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 09:32:35 PM »
I got permission on a very small chunk once for archery. It was a prime elk traveling area. I called the office, she gave me an email And phone number of one of the owners, I ended up getting a call back and he just said to be respectful of neighbors and be careful. Very nice guy I talked with. He was a big hunter himself, and wasn’t aware of the elk in the area  ;)

Offline Goshawk

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 10:13:48 AM »
Manke Lumber can be "complicated" at times regarding land access.

30+ years ago they were a very open access company when Virgil Manke was running the show.  It slowly got harder to get access mostly due to an employee who was, and still may be making side deals with access sold or traded to local guides, or wanna be guides, often without upper management .  He tried to run myself and my daughter off a patch of ground quite a few years ago and was very vulgar about it.  My signed letter of access from Mr. Manke sent him off in a huff spraying gravel in his company truck.

Since that episode he slowly has choked off public access of some great spots, saving them for himself and paying customers.

If you're really wanting to get access to a specific patch of ground, my advice would be to call and ask to talk to Kellen Manke himself and make your request.  He may or may not grant access depending on operations, and of course prearranged deals his log buyer may have arranged on the side, at times without his knowledge. 

Overall, I've been very pleased with getting access compared to real estate developers like Jorgensen Timber.
You'll never get a Big'un if you keep shooting Little'un's.

Offline Platensek-po

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2020, 10:18:14 AM »
I have Kellen Manke’s number if you want it. They own the property next door to my house. He is super nice guy but they have different restrictions now. No target shooting on any of their lands with firearms. He also may or may not allow hunting on the land depending on the situation. Again super nice guy who has a very laid back approach. Don’t mess up their lands and they are pretty ok.
“Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.”

If you are not willing to die for freedom then take the word out of your vocabulary.

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2020, 04:46:39 PM »
That's good to know... there is a spot near one of my areas that Manke has a small chunk and I was wondering about it.

Offline swanderek

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Hunter
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2020, 07:59:39 PM »
Kellen has been very nice to
Me
Over the years with letting me hunt. But the areas in Graham and Vashon are heavily hunted and recreated. I didn’t see much sign anywhere. Lots of people though.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal