collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Midwest guides?  (Read 2022 times)

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Midwest guides?
« on: November 30, 2020, 01:18:10 PM »
We are thinking about booking a goose and or duck hunting trip out in the midwest somewhere and rates for some of these guided hunts seem pretty affordable but that is tptally uncharted territory for us. I know what to expect with some of the nice floating fishing lodges up in Canada as far as hospitality and services offered but know nothing about any of hunting lodges

Does anybody have any experience out there? Whats a fair price.to pay? We got the basics as far as gear and a couple pump shotguns but most of these places seem to rent out semi auto benelli guns... I know some fishing charters dont like it when you bring your own gear, are hunt lodges the same? We arent rich and are thinking 2500$ for a few days hunting plus airfare should be about our price range...

Any stories? Good/bad experiences? Advice?

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Midwest guides?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 01:29:28 PM »
You could save airfare by just driving to eastern WA and hunting a lodge out there.  Save even more if you find a nearby hotel and arrange your own food.

I have been thinking about trying this one year with my son, seems to have good reviews around here but I have never been there.

https://eaglelakesranch.com/pricing-info/

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 01:42:29 PM »
You could save airfare by just driving to eastern WA and hunting a lodge out there.  Save even more if you find a nearby hotel and arrange your own food.

I have been thinking about trying this one year with my son, seems to have good reviews around here but I have never been there.

https://eaglelakesranch.com/pricing-info/

Uhhhhhh those prices are horrid!

This is what gave me the idea

https://thegooseguys.com/ they have hunts as cheap as 175$ up to 250$ a day with lodging, you provide food and transportation

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 01:49:07 PM »
Yeah, but when you factor in a flight, airport parking, rental car, checked bag fees, it's going to be a bargain to hunt 2 days in WA.  You also don't have to run around the airport, go through TSA or mess with checking a gun or figure out how to get the birds home. 

If it's cost or ease or even hunt quality I would hunt WA.  If you really want to hunt another state, go for it, sounds fun too.

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 02:19:30 PM »
Hmm.... I suppose....

Generally on fishing trips we take a big cooler with gel ice packs and pack some gear in it and check it in at the gate, before we leave for home we freeze up the gel packs no problems. Everywhere ive been has refrigeration for the catch, worst case bring the vacuum sealer and bags

Alaska Air allows two bags under 50lbs per person and one piece of sporting equipment per person to be checked in

My main thoughts would be dealing with TSA with the shotguns but i hear you have to go to their security office and check the guns in with your ticket and retrieving them is the same.process,

Get dropped off/picked up at the airport- preferably a small one like Everett or Bellingham and should be easy peasy

Im not opposed to checking out eastern WA as i already got the license but prices in this state just seem super spicy

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 02:44:11 PM »
Yeah, checking a firearm isn't a big deal you just need a locking case and then go to the TSA spot.  I'm not sure if anything changed with COVID, probably not.  You just need to show up early in case there is a line or you need to work with the gate agent.  In Seattle, about 3/4 have no problem and 1/4 have no idea and you have to show them on their own website how to do it.  I would buy ammo there just to simplify the process, rent the gun to simplify it even more.

Each bag will cost you unless you have status or a credit card.  $30 for the first, $40 for the second and $100 for the third, each way.  It may be cheaper to buy a cooler over there since you would have to pay $40 in bag fees just to get it there.

You are probably looking at two checked bags per guy, so that's another $140 round trip per person. 

I would think per person it would be $200-300 for a ticket, $140 for bags, $40 for the rental car, so $380-480 plus the hunt.   Say the hunt is $175 a day, for two days you are at $730-830 plus license, tips, food & lodging. 

Eastern WA would be maybe $50 a guy for gas and $700 for two days of hunting, so $775 a guy, again plus license, tips, food & lodging.

If you don't have to pay for bags or get a screamer ticket or use miles, could be a bit cheaper than in state.

Plus, in WA you get one more bird a day and they can all be mallards.   :chuckle:

If I was going out of state, I would also look into things you can't do here like get a swan or sandhill tag as well as ducks.

Offline northwesthunter84

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 03:05:44 PM »
I just did a Midwest deer hunt so a little different but similar. Flying out of SeaTac round trip was $250. Parking was $100 valet. Have a double gun case and you can load it out with two guns or guns and cloths still the same price, $30. Rental suv for 6 days $450 unlimited mileage/insurance, but yours would be half that so $225. 2 days hunting should be $600 or less. Shipping back I get a non stop flight, freeze my meat and check it in duffle bags.  Cost $80. For up to 100#s.

If I do the math roughly per person:
Plane $250-400, I just priced Little Rock last week, not sure on dakotas or Minnesota
Parking $100
Rental $225
Baggage there $80 with firearm and bag with hunting cloths(waders?)
2 days guided hunt $600 with lodging included
Baggage back worst case $180
Total- approximately $1500 plus the experience

Washington based on the eagle lakes advertisement $2150 for two days duck and geese or $1600 per waterfowl type.

Personally I would be down for the adventure. Plus more people cuts the cost down per person Washington’s doesn’t.

Plus don’t forget money for a tip. Guiding is a service so bring as much as you think a fantastic day is worth for their time.

Offline BD1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 05:13:59 PM »
I have been to Eagle Lakes many times over the past 20 years. We normally went for one night and ducks only. It is a pretty epic experience. The food and people are great and the accommodations are top shelf. I haven't been in several years as I felt they priced themselves out of my tax bracket. The last time a family member went, they got skunked. No refund but an invite back during that season which is better than nothing. On the right day you will think the world has been overthrown by mallards!!! However I am with you on wanting a different experience...mine would be a flooded timber hunt in Arkansas or something along those lines. Sorry I couldn't provide more help...at the end of the day, money comes and goes, but time spent with your kids, enjoying what you love to do...together...is priceless. Be sure and share your adventures with us   :tup:
Mike
BD1

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 08:01:04 PM »
Yeah i could care less about the food at these lodges, after my last trip to canada the sheer amount of d1ck measuring that goes on around those dining room tables when all the guests are together is rather gross, im in it for the sport, the adventure, and meat in the freezer, not to brag up some big story on how much money one makes.... If im gonna socialize im going to make buddies with the guide and learn what I can, otherwise not really interested

I live.with a professional chef so, the food cooked.in my tent over a wood stove with no drink limits.on the whiskey is just fine by me.

Gotta admit i cant get the idea.of fresh ground goose burgers with homemade.pickles and mustard out of my head.

If im going long distance to the mid west a lodge sounds nice because of everything being in one place but eastern WA im just as content in my tent. Its win win either way  8)

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2020, 08:06:40 PM »
I learned something there.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline BD1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2020, 08:44:38 PM »
So if you don't care about the food, why go to a place that includes everything?  No "measuring" at any place I have gone but I am sure there are places that do. From what I am reading why not go somewhere fun and local and not spend 1K+ for whatever you have at home? Have fun  :tup:

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2020, 09:00:38 PM »
Adventure and curiosity thats why. Everything is a learning experience.

I what I was insinuating. Is that maybe over christmas break i should load up my rig with tent decoys and whatever floating craft i have and head east and go wander around the potholes area and see what I can make of it before I go blowing a few grand, and that perhaps i was just around a bad crowd once and left an impression.

Im more or less curious about getting a guided trip next season, cant make that happen this year.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]