collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Incredible season so far....  (Read 9874 times)

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
Re: Incredible season so far....
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2020, 05:46:14 PM »
I been lucky enough to get 7 bands. Closest was banded in Ephrata, Furthest was remarkable. It was an extra large drake mallard, banded in St. Johns Newfoundland. I'd love to know that birds entire trip route. Other bands were Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Alberta, California.
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline Bucks2Ducks

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2020, 06:28:16 PM »
I been lucky enough to get 7 bands. Closest was banded in Ephrata, Furthest was remarkable. It was an extra large drake mallard, banded in St. Johns Newfoundland. I'd love to know that birds entire trip route. Other bands were Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Alberta, California.
Newfoundland to WA? That's one I haven't heard of, pretty cool
When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters and we want our freedom-Sitting Bull

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2020, 06:29:38 PM »
I guess I only shoot the super smart birds that the banding guys can't catch.   :chuckle:

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2020, 06:48:55 PM »
The last banded mallard I shot was near moses lake. He was almost nine years old, banded in Cataldo ID, and he had rice breast.
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Offline Blacktail135

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2020, 04:11:46 PM »
 I gotta fess up before this thread gets too old or I forget about it. When I posted it I was at work reading about how Wuhan flu numbers were being skewed. So I thought, hmm, I can do that with my duck hunting so far this year. So I posted what I posted knowing that those that know duck hunting would call me out on it. Anyway, my original post of 40% still stands and this is how....I’ve shot 5 ducks so far this year. The first duck of the year was a banded Mallard drake. The last duck was a Eurasian wigeon drake that landed just outside my decoys. Just barely. I told my granddaughter that with #4’s in it was too far. He left and went to the north end of my swamp (275 yds away) and we watched him thru binoculars for 1hr and 20 min. Then he got up and flew right towards us and I shot him. Blind faces north, we had wind and sun at our back. It was almost like slow motion on a duck I thought I may never get. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it! 😂

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2020, 04:47:57 PM »

I assume these are Washington birds.  If so holy smokes :yike:

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2020, 04:50:20 PM »
100% of the ducks I've ever taken in the last 17 years were not banded. Up to 120 ducks in a single season. Now think of all those years. No bands.  :chuckle: congrats dude
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline Blacktail135

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2020, 06:15:50 PM »
 Thanks. Numbers of ducks killed mean nothing to me anymore.....used to. Bands are a nice “bonus”. I would like to get mounted all of the ducks available to our flyway and a Eurasian is a good one to get. I see them on my place every year and have finally gotten one. Getting it with my granddaughter was especially special. I could shoot lots of ducks on my place if I really wanted but that’s not important to me anymore. I invite friends over that hunt with their friends and it’s (to me) fun to watch them enjoy a hunt that they normally wouldn’t have.

Offline Phishead

• Tracker
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2020, 10:20:51 PM »
Since we’re sharing band stories,about 10 years ago on a field hunt outside Ephrata we shot 13 geese in one go with 5 guys. 13 banded birds. No joke it felt like Christmas morning. All local birds of course but still pretty damn cool.

Offline Blacktail135

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2020, 06:59:59 AM »
 That’s a bunch of bands. Did ya’ hear any BB ricochet’a? 😂 Congrats!

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2020, 07:08:51 AM »
Stupid question here from someone who doesn't hunt ducks, why are bands so cool?  Are they rare?
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2020, 07:18:00 PM »
In WA, particularly on the westside they are pretty rare as you can see in this thread.  No reason really, just something different and you can keep the band as a mini trophy to show Instagram how cool you are.  You can look up the band number online and see where the duck was banded, sometimes right next door and sometimes across the continent.

I don't know how many duck's I've shot in WA, maybe 250-300, and haven't got one.

Offline KopperBuck

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2020, 11:59:21 AM »
Bands are cool, sometimes. Couple places we hunt they're locally banded. We've had 7 bands in one day, and if we're hunting 3 or more I bet we average a band at least every other trip.

But there's tons of instaflatbrim - "FOR THE PICS!" - dbags out there that specifically target those types of areas to fill up their lanyard. So while I used to think it was neat before, I don't get excited until I see something from out of state or non-mallard. Seems the last 6 or so have been incorrectly sexed. Can't blame em, I ain't good with chickens either.

Offline wa.hunter

• Hunter
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2020, 08:45:21 AM »
I was hunting with a friend whom harvested a brant about 6 years ago that was both banded and collared..he was told it was a mature bird when banded 12 years earlier in Russia.

Offline metlhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2020, 09:45:16 AM »
Why are people that target bands dbags? Sounds like a challenge that some can't handle. Is the person that passes on a raghorn in hopes of a 6x6 a dbag?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]