collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WTB entry level compound bow  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Huntnfish89

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
WTB entry level compound bow
« on: November 30, 2020, 09:11:10 PM »
 I'm looking at getting into archery with a fairly low budget of $300-400  at this time. I just wanted to see if there is anything on here as many of the shops nearby are running pretty low on stock and it seems like a lot of the entry level bows being manufactured are unavailable or on backorder like much of everything else these days.

Preferably something adjustable so I can build up in draw weight and I practice and get stronger.

Offline Parasite

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
  • Mansplainer
Re: WTB entry level compound bow
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 01:35:15 AM »
Honestly, I'd buy a used higher end bow before I'd buy a new entry level bow. Head over to Archerytalk forum. I have a 2007 and 2008 Diamond Liberty that I will never get rid of and they can be found fairly inexpensive on ebay. I've got newer bows and tested new bows, but anything made in the last 10-15 years from the big bow companies are pretty much th same speed range. You're basically just paying for refinement, features, and what fits your style.

Offline OltHunter

• Non-Hunting & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 06:58:03 AM »
 :yeah:

it's worth spending a little bit more, if not the same on a used flagship bow than a cheap entry level bow new.  they will be easier to tune, hold a tune, less vibration, less handshock, etc.

I've gotten numerous last years models top of the line for the $600 - $700 range.  A few years past that and you are in your budget range.

I've seen a few Prime CT's going for $600 brand new around, but probably harder to find now.

Bowtech's newer bows are geared towards the press free tuning crowds and almost all of the tuning can be done without a press.

Offline mcrawfordaf

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 08:09:31 AM »
IDK much about bows but someone in Post Falls has a Diamond Infinite Edge for sale for $250 on Offerup https://offerup.com/item/detail/1019030978/

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 08:23:43 AM »
Used can be a good way to go. But get educated first. I work in the industry, I see lots and lots of used bows that are not weight or length adjustable to fit the buyer without significant cost. It's terrible to be the person having to crush someone's excitement because their "great deal from a buddy" will cost another hundred or more to get setup for them.  Do your homework.

Your age and strength are also factors. If your growing or need to start at very light poundag entry level equipment often fills that niche better than more expensive equipment.

Offline Huntnfish89

• Pilgrim
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 09:16:43 AM »
Thanks everyone. It sounds like I need to do some more research and just keep my eyes open for something to pop up.  As far as used bows what exactly should I be looking for as far as signs of damage or misuse etc?

I sort of feel like I am jumping into the deep end here without much knowledge, and bows seem to be a whole other beast compared to firearms, which I have bought enough used to know what to look for (bore, pitting, cylinder timing, etc.)

Offline rainshadow1

• RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
  • Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
    • RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 09:49:35 AM »
Find the bow, then research make/model. Lots of reviews and etc online. Look for fraying and rubbing on the strings/cables. Look for good care and ownership on the rest of it. Look for crazing on the edges of the limbs and cams. Pretty straightforward.

Don't overlook pawn shops... I've found 3 really nice bows at pawn shops the last two times I've been browsing them. (Bought one of them!) The "expensive" bows from a few years ago are to be had there for 1/3 the original price.

There's that good shop in Deer Park, a branch shop of the Spokane shop... I don't know about the Idaho side.
- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Offline Dhoey07

• Political Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 09:53:57 AM »
I have a 10 year old Bowtech that you can shoot if you want.  Fairly inexpensive bow but it has killed critters.

Set at 28" draw and 58#. 

Offline b0bbyg

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2020, 10:07:46 AM »
I would pop into a bow shop and figure out your measurements, once you know your draw length and what your comfort range for beginning weight is you can start looking around at the sources mentioned already as well as Ebay.  I have bought all my bows from Ebay as used when people move up to new bows.

Ebay and Craigslist can be a little riskier so you want to do some research and even having a 2nd person to bounce listing off of is not a bad idea.

I have a Matthews Icon that is still a useable bow it was a 29inch draw with 70lb limbs. If you get measured and are interested we could arrange to ship it your way.

Offline nicz

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2020, 11:24:42 AM »
Look at the Diamond carbon series (Edge, Deploy, Prism) if you want a light one, most of them are highly adjustable from 7lbs-70 LBS pull weight and 15-30-32" draw.
Also PSE makes very affordable bows and they are highly adjustable.

Offline Parasite

• Scout
  • Mansplainer
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2020, 04:38:29 AM »
Definitely good advice in this thread. A compound bow is FITTED to you, so make sure you go to an archery PRO SHOP, not a big box store, to find out your correct draw length first. Shooting a bow with 1" short draw length isn't so bad, but just a 1/4" too long and you'll know it. Pro Shops will know what they are doing. Big box stores, it's a crap shoot. If the bows draw length is too long for you, the string will slap your forearm. Some bows are draw length specific, and can only be changed by changing out the cam. Some you just change a cheap module. While others have adjustability built into the cam.

Things to watch out for on used bows (and even new bows for that matter) is cracked limbs. Cracks can be seen with the naked eye. But sometimes they can be hairline cracks and hard to see, so you'll watch to run a cotton ball on the limb to see if it catches that fine edge of the crack. Cracks tend to run parallel to the length of the limb.

Bent axles are hard to detect unless you disassemble the bow and roll the axles on a flat surface.

Look for fraying/cut fibers on the string/cables. A nick in the cams will tear up the string/cable.

Unless you are young and still growing, I would not worry about building up draw weight. Pick a bow with adjustable draw weight of 50-60# or 60-70# is the norm. The lighter draw weight will still kill, it will just be a tad slower. But, less fatigue, and more enjoyable to shoot.

Also, most bows these days are designed to be shot using release aids (not fingers).

Here's how I'd do it to stay in your budget:

Used bow
Used dropaway arrow rest
3 carbon fiber arrows (note: arrow length and spine are also fitted to the bows draw length and weight)
Used release aid
Used sight
Used peep

I've literally built a used bow setup as I've described above for cheap, and still had money left over to have a Pro Shop set it up and tune it. You might even have guys chime in and give you some freebies (I'm actually clearing out some stuff lately. Some will be sold, others will be given away).

Things like noise dampeners, stabilizer, quivers, broadheads, bow case, wrist sling don't need to be bought at this time.

Offline Huntnfish89

• Pilgrim
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2020, 09:30:31 AM »
WOW, thank you everyone for all the information. I am going over to Spokane Valley Archery this afternoon to take another look at the Diamond Sb-1. I was about to purchase one the other day, but when paper tuning they discovered that there was an issue with one of the limbs causing every shot to veer off to the left and they sent it back to the factory (thankfully the guy helping me noticed and actually said something rather than just sending me out the door with something faulty.)

Anyways they have a few in stock at the Spokane Valley shop for $399 with all the basic accessories minus the release. While I try to stay away from package deals since they can tend to be of lower quality and I end up replacing everything within a year or so, I think this may be an economic way to get my feet wet and get a better feel for everything so when the time come to upgrade I will have a better idea of what I am looking for/ need.

I am going to take another look, get properly measured, and possibly see what/if they have anything used, or any other recommendations. 

Just for reference, the other day was my first time shooting anything other than a longbow (when I was a kid, I"m 31 now). It felt ok to shoot, and I like the feel of it a little better than the other bow that I tried (PSE Stinger), but then again with that limited experience anything is going to feel ok due to lack of exposure if that makes any sense.

Dhoey07- I might take you up on that offer.

BObbyg- I will see what my measurements are and go from there.

Once again thank you everyone for all the help.
- Eddie

Offline Dhoey07

• Political Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2020, 09:54:56 AM »
Not a problem.  I live 2 minutes from SVA. 

Offline huntnfmly

• Political Topics
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2020, 12:14:37 PM »
The diamond sb1 is a great way to go bought one for my daughter last year
Very adjustable at home no press needed
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please donít wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline tonymiller7

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Longhunter
Bear Motive 6 w/125 Wasp Drones and Black Eagle Carnivores, Sako A7 300WSM w/ Leupold VX3 4.5-14, T/C Hawken 50 cal.
"Whatever he hits...he destroys!"

* Advertisement