collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Final hunt?  (Read 7624 times)

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
Final hunt?
« on: December 01, 2020, 10:04:28 PM »
So I’m doing something here I never imagined I’d ever do.

I’m asking for a place to hunt.

Now before any of you get too excited, plz hear me out. The old boy in my avatar is over 13 years old and just might be on his final season in the field (& sadly, I haven’t gotten him out nearly as much as I did prior to the past few years due to work/life, etc.)

I’m driving one of my daughters over to Pullman this weekend to pick up the last of her things as she’s just finished her degree there. She was with me at age 8 or 9 when I picked him up as a pup from Portland. But she was always too busy as a youngster to ever bird hunt behind him with me (that was my other 3 kids).

I’m hoping somebody might be willing to let us hunt (this weekend only) on their property or spot along the route to Pullman for a few hours. I have old standby spots where I’ve always found pheasant & quail but they’re either Out of the way. Or thick/wet cover and my daughters not equipped for anything over the ankles, And most importantly, my dog is losing his hearing and sight...so thicker cover’s  a challenge (It’d be a bummer to lose him on his final hunt😱 (I sold his Garmin tracker this summer for COVID $)).....

So would love to hear from anybody willing to help.🙏

Of course any PMs would be gladly received! Thanks HW!
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline bracer40

• Sourdough
Re: Final hunt?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 10:06:03 PM »
Meant to throw this up there too. Mine’s the orange & white one...
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline GoldenOscar

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 11:48:08 PM »
Not sure if the funds are there for you but double barrel ranch release site is pretty great for young and old dogs alike. You know you will get some action and the terrain is nice.  I know this doesnt answer your question just a suggestion.

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 12:02:03 AM »
 :'(
yeah you can see it in his eyes too...
But not really on the way???? But on highway 12 just out of Walla Walla there is some feel free to hunt.
Spring creek road I think or sapolil is the name of the road. not hard ground the windmills just before Pomeroy if that is the way you're going?
right there at dodge junction too??? you do going that way have to pass that spot going up the hill so...???
Good Luck.
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline BD1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 12:10:07 AM »
Not sure if the funds are there for you but double barrel ranch release site is pretty great for young and old dogs alike. You know you will get some action and the terrain is nice.  I know this doesnt answer your question just a suggestion.

:yeah: :tup: it is where I would take mine on her last upland hunt....great people and a great place to stay for the night if need be. Best of luck
Mike
BD1

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 05:26:11 AM »
What route do you take to Pullman?
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 05:26:56 AM »
What a great old dog. I have a brit in the same situation. Its hard to see them get old and fade. Lifetime of memories
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline 2MANY

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 05:45:29 AM »
Separate subject but you better get a puppy for Christmas..

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2020, 05:50:31 AM »
@elkboy

Elkboy lives in Pullman. He might have some ideas. Great guy, too.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline bracer40

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2020, 07:06:16 AM »

Good suggestion and one I’d considered, but I’m not interested in paying nearly $200 for five planted birds....I mostly want the chance for him to work birds and my daughter to  get to experience that. I have a freezer full of game already.
― Groucho Marx

Offline bracer40

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2020, 07:09:00 AM »
What route do you take to Pullman?

Have always taken 26 all the way except when I was making sales calls in Walla Walla (pre-COVID)
― Groucho Marx

Offline bracer40

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2020, 07:10:24 AM »
:'(
yeah you can see it in his eyes too...
But not really on the way???? But on highway 12 just out of Walla Walla there is some feel free to hunt.
Spring creek road I think or sapolil is the name of the road. not hard ground the windmills just before Pomeroy if that is the way you're going?
right there at dodge junction too??? you do going that way have to pass that spot going up the hill so...???
Good Luck.

I’ve noticed those in the past while passing thru, but have never hunted them.
Thanks for the tip!
― Groucho Marx

Offline bracer40

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2020, 07:11:48 AM »
Separate subject but you better get a puppy for Christmas..

That brown one, the Griff, is puppy enough for now!
― Groucho Marx

Offline bracer40

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2020, 07:12:32 AM »
@elkboy

Elkboy lives in Pullman. He might have some ideas. Great guy, too.

Thanks Pianoman!
― Groucho Marx

Offline 10Key

• Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2020, 02:09:50 PM »
Revere has a ton of public ground nearby and it has quail and roosters...plus it is pretty along Rock Creek...not too far North from Pullman.

Our Brit is 11 now and with 3 little kids, he is last in line for attention, so I get it. Good luck to you and your pup :)

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]