collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Blazed Ridge Goat  (Read 2333 times)

Offline Jimmy33

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
Blazed Ridge Goat
« on: January 18, 2021, 01:01:11 PM »
Does anyone know if they are doing counts this year? Im hoping this unit will get opened up again. Seeing a bunch of goats...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
    from violent people you save me.

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Blazed Ridge Goat
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 12:14:50 AM »
@jackelope, any ideas?

I sure hope it opens eventually for everyone who wants a chance to hunt them. I counted 52 one day in December in 3 areas and wasn't able to get to a couple spots up off the 19 road system.

While I was on the quest for goats in December, I did some adventuring in other zones.

Bumping River goat numbers seem to be good from what I saw on American Ridge and in the main rattlesnake and up the north fork rattlesnake. Didn't adventure over to the White Pass side.

I didn't get a good feel for the Naches Pass numbers as I haven't been able to track down where exactly the Goats are wintering up certain creeks and fifes ridge since the fire went through. Did see a few dozen from 410, but I used to see a lot more before the fire. I think most of them moved down towards the DOT/state repeaters.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 05:20:49 AM »
I heard that quite a few of the Olympic goats were transferred there which would explain the increase in population.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 06:38:29 AM »
I only spend time in a small area of the goat habitat there but I never had trouble finding a dozen or so when I looked for them. Took my wife up there on our first date to show her mountain goats. Really hope it opens back up, got a lot of good memories up there with my dad looking at them, goats to of my bucket list and a goat off a particular mountain would be extra special.

Offline Jimmy33

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 07:00:08 AM »
I only spend time in a small area of the goat habitat there but I never had trouble finding a dozen or so when I looked for them. Took my wife up there on our first date to show her mountain goats. Really hope it opens back up, got a lot of good memories up there with my dad looking at them, goats to of my bucket list and a goat off a particular mountain would be extra special.
Im in the same boat...i never noticed a drop in population to begin with. A few years ago I was contacted by WDFW to find some areas to go in a do some counts...couldn’t believe they couldn’t count enough goats to open it up. Both my Grandpa and my Dad shot goats off of the same ridge and I would like to do the same but I will never have even a small chance if they don’t at least open up the unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
    from violent people you save me.

Offline tankcdr66

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Death Before Dismount - Cav Leads The Way!
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 06:44:03 AM »
I used to hunt deer and elk up in the area and there were always lots of goats up on North Ridge.  I have 18 goat preference points and decided last season to stop giving the state free money in the hope that they would open the Blaze Ridge Unit back up.  Having hunted the Little Naches unit since the mid 80s, the state has done a poor job of game management, and the joke with the wife is that I am going on my annual camping trip rather than hunting.   
Big Bulls Travel in Pairs

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal