collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Thinking about buying a E caller  (Read 12064 times)

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
Thinking about buying a E caller
« on: December 03, 2020, 08:23:31 PM »
 Looking for opinions from guys who are actually coyote and cat hunting a lot.... worthwhile?
Tell why I should or shouldn't and if so which callers are the ones to get?

The last caller I played with took cassette tapes...  :chuckle:

Offline highcountry_hunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Thinking about buying a E caller
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 04:09:33 PM »
In my humble opinion you really get what you pay for with e callers. All the different functions are cool and the capability to store hundreds of different sounds, but the main difference in a 80$ caller and one for a few hundred bucks to me is sound quality. Don’t get me wrong I’m sure a ton of dogs have been called in with calls that didn’t cost much at all, and will still get the job done. But when it’s late in the season and the educated dogs have heard a hundred rabbit distress’s that sound like they’re coming out of an old tin can, top notch sound quality could be the deciding factor to get em to come a running. I personally use the foxpro shockwave and have 0 complaints!

Offline bsharp

• Tracker
  • Groups: bsharp321@frontier.com
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 04:29:52 PM »
I purchased a Lucky Duck Revolt and absolutely love it.  It has increadible audio and you can easily add mp3s to it.  The remote works great.  I would also recommend buying the lithium battery.  With the battery you can call all day on a single charge.  I hunted two weekends and got a bobcat and coyote.  I'm still pretty new and trying to learn how to use it but I like it so far. 

Cheers, 

Tim

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 04:45:52 PM »
I’m getting one for Christmas, going w the fox pro hammer Jack, it’s $200. 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 04:49:25 PM »
Not having listened too, or hunted with them all, I can't really say what to spend your money on.   

I do know that no matter how good or how expensive the E caller is, it's still a challenge to call in predators. 

I bought the best one possible, and it doesn't ensure that I'm successful, I still have to do my part. 

but at least I know it's not a cheap caller that's keeping me from being successful. 

maybe I should have bought a cheap one  :chuckle:  :chuckle:  :chuckle:

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 05:44:20 PM »
I'm in the market for a new e-caller so will watch this thread.  My nearly 20 year old Minaska bit the dust a couple of weeks ago, doggone.  Herewith some of my recent research.

I have used several brands of e-caller, including a FP Inferno yesterday.  Good sound but the remote was a nightmare to use.  Poking the correct button 14 times to get it to respond, then once the next time, then a dozen...  Changed batteries in the remote and still spent too much time fighting the remote instead of looking for a lion.  I am spoiled, no doubt.

In all the years with Minaska I only played the wrong sound about four times total, and that unit obeyed each poke of a button.  I liked the way sounds could be organized in banks.  I had a bank for each kind of animal I called so I never had any lion sounds mixed in with coyote calls, etc.    Apparently Minaska is not making e-callers anymore.  Good calls, but apparently not good enough businessmen.

I had zeroed in last week on maybe buying a FP Fusion, but after using the Inferno remote, gonna check it out some more.   I like the FP C24 but the external wire assembly looks vulnerable to brush, jamming in a pack, riding loose in the cab of a 4x4.   

Am also looking at Iotec and Lucky Duck and still haven't eliminated the Mojo.  I'm in touch with some manufacturers.  I know the features I want.  I want a call that will take sounds I record myself, that can add a large external speaker, that will run on an external SLA battery if internal batteries run low, and that will run a decoy controlled by the remote.  The remote needs to work from as far away as possible.  (Long range remote does not mean that I am taking long shots.)

All this research is making my head hurt.  Someone pick out a call and buy it for me!  :P

« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 06:03:31 PM by Okanagan »

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 05:58:51 PM »
FWIW here is an e-mail from an Iotec tech support man.  It has all but one of the features I want but does not accept an external battery power source.  Like most e-callers, it has a ton of extra features I don't want, but most gizmos are like that from computers to phones.   :)

my recommendation would be the Sabre model. It has a 10watt paging speaker that cranks out volume with clarity. It plays our encrypted GCX sounds from ICOtec as well as MP3 or Wav audio files. The remote is easily navigated and has a range of 300 yards, two favorites banks that store 10 sounds each, a play, pause, stop, volume up/down, channel up/down (for sound selection) a menu to change settings to day/night display, display brightness, sequence delay and sleep mode timer. It also has a “Coax” button, that button changes to a users pre set sound that can be changed to immediately, for example, a lot of people set it as a pup distress for after a shot on a coyote, me personally I set it as a mouse vole to sucker them in closer to shorten up the drag after the shot!
You’ll find that our callers are excellent on battery life, I use the ICOtec C4 rechargeable pack in mine, I hunt a lot and get almost two months per charge.

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 06:11:17 PM »
Fox pro shockwave !

Offline tank21

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 06:20:06 PM »
Riding along...

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2020, 06:22:08 PM »
I have the icotec decoy, seems well built and hasn't let me down.

The price point on icotec is great.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2020, 06:45:02 PM »
Fox pro shockwave !
$500 , that’s a big investment
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2020, 06:51:08 PM »
Fox pro shockwave !

It's also a pretty big form factor.   I'd love to check one out.   too bad you can't rent them lol

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2020, 06:53:36 PM »
I really like my $120 Lucky Duck Rebel. The best thing about it is that the volume and sound quality is equivalent or better than many calls that are hundreds of dollars more. Now the downside is that it only has 12 sounds and you can't add more. But that's also an advantage in my mind in that the remote is very simple to use because of the small number of sounds. And the remote works reliably at 100 yards.

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2020, 07:51:17 PM »
Fox pro shockwave !

It's also a pretty big form factor.   I'd love to check one out.   too bad you can't rent them lol
its one of those buy once cry once the sound is incredible and it’s actually worth every penny
KF if you were closer I’d let you run it

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2020, 08:04:42 PM »
I bought a Shockwave last week at Cabelas. On sale for $399. To bad I can’t use it tell after Christmas  :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]