collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ultrasonic Cleaning Solution  (Read 1144 times)

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
Ultrasonic Cleaning Solution
« on: December 04, 2020, 03:57:45 PM »
What do you use, especially homebrew recipes?

Thanks.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Ultrasonic Cleaning Solution
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 04:02:59 PM »
I don't remember where I read it, but I use Krud kutter in the red bottle and it's been working great for several years now for everything from carbs to firearm parts to tools and auto stuff.

If it's aluminum, I don't leave it in for very long, maybe 30 minutes tops.  I also only add an ounce or two to hot water to fill the tank.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Krud-Kutter-32-fl-oz-All-Purpose-Cleaner/50296427

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 04:19:30 PM »
Dawn works great.  Avoid acidic solutions; brass comes out nice and bright, but quickly corrodes.

Offline Encore 280

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Encore 280
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 04:24:17 PM »
I use Super Clean on my front stuffer and it really gets the crap out and off of pieces. Great stuff. :tup:

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 02:37:46 AM »
I don't remember where I read it, but I use Krud kutter in the red bottle and it's been working great for several years now for everything from carbs to firearm parts to tools and auto stuff.

If it's aluminum, I don't leave it in for very long, maybe 30 minutes tops.  I also only add an ounce or two to hot water to fill the tank.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Krud-Kutter-32-fl-oz-All-Purpose-Cleaner/50296427

Glock Talk was first link that comes up talking about the stuff.  Apparently, it is citric acid based, like Lemi Shine that people rave about.

I used a bit of vingear and Dawn, and it seems to do OK.

Dawn works great.  Avoid acidic solutions; brass comes out nice and bright, but quickly corrodes.

I will be rinsing it adequately, and they are deprimed, so residual acid is not a worry.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 09:40:25 AM »
I don't know what the affects are in an ultrasonic but my experience using Lemi Shine in a wet tumbler is less works MUCH better than does more.  Just a tiny tiny sprinkle of that stuff in my tumbler with Dawn works great and it'll make the nastiest brass bright and shiny but a tiny bit to much Lemi Shine and the brass comes out dull and looking like shat.  So if you're using Lemi Shine and you aren't getting the results you'd like try using less of it.

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 10:40:19 AM »
I've used a few different things, the Hornady one shot to me leaves a film that quickly started to tarnish and dull. So I went to a home recipe of dawn soap and a tiny bit of lemi shine. If you are getting corrosion after then you're using too much Lemi shine or not rinsing it well enough or both. For Fn7 brass Water and simple green only.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 11:08:39 AM »
I will clarify I don't use the ultrasonic for brass, I use the standard vibrating thing with walnut husk.  I've never put brass cases in Krud Kutter, so can't comment on whether it works or not.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal