collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Study on Coho mortality  (Read 10959 times)

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Study on Coho mortality
« on: December 04, 2020, 08:43:12 PM »
If this is true, what are they going to do about it?  What would you do about it?

https://www.adn.com/nation-world/2020/12/04/killer-of-returning-puget-sound-salmon-is-hidden-in-plain-sight-scientists-say/

A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
Re: Study on Coho mortality
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 08:45:40 PM »
If this is true, what are they going to do about it?  What would you do about it?

https://www.adn.com/nation-world/2020/12/04/killer-of-returning-puget-sound-salmon-is-hidden-in-plain-sight-scientists-say/

Can you paste it, I don’t have a subscription
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 08:55:27 PM »
Interesting one to follow along with. 
Going to have to go back to more eco friendly tires or horses and trains.  Maybe the tire companies will have to tack on some extra cost and then pay to mitigate fish loss like hydro does? 
I've also seen claims that brake dust has a certain amount of copper in it that runs down to streams and kills fish.   :dunno:

Offline Camo

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 09:00:10 PM »
Probably design a West Coast tire that costs twice as much, or take out the chemical and tire breaks down twice as fast?
Albacore, the better white meat.

Offline Hilltop123

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 09:01:56 PM »
I have a problem with this, it kills ONLY COHO.No mention of trout, sculpins, other salmon species, stickleback ect. If tire residue is so toxic to kill mature Coho, in pretty quick order, then why is it not killing everything else? :twocents:

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 09:16:06 PM »
Sounds suspect.

I have yet to see any sign that Puget sound coho are mysteriously dieing. And I fish allot.

If it's one river (creek) in Seattle maybe they should test the waters for narcotics. All the homeless druggies going to the bathroom along river beds. I know salmon around Bremerton tested positive for several different drugs a year or so ago..

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 10:16:40 PM »
 Here is another link.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/environment/tire-dust-is-killing-salmon/

Anybody else see the agenda? Stop driving cars and use the new sound transit trains. :rolleyes:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline westsidehntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2020, 10:18:42 PM »
I bet money will fix it...

Offline Hilltop123

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2020, 10:30:48 PM »
I bet money will fix it...
Yup, just pay this tire tax, to save the salmon. What a load of shire.

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2020, 11:11:40 PM »
I have a problem with this, it kills ONLY COHO.No mention of trout, sculpins, other salmon species, stickleback ect. If tire residue is so toxic to kill mature Coho, in pretty quick order, then why is it not killing everything else? :twocents:

I believe it's from the timing of when the cohos return, from reading the story. They usually return when the fall monsoons hit.

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2020, 11:31:54 PM »

I believe it's from the timing of when the cohos return, from reading the story. They usually return when the fall monsoons hit.
The majority of the returns hit the sound at the end of August and early September, not much rain around that time the last several years. :dunno:

Offline Camo

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2020, 12:06:25 AM »

The majority of the returns hit the sound at the end of August and early September, not much rain around that time the last several years. :dunno:
[/quote]

Yeah, but not quite in the rivers yet. Seems two of the last three years during peak of the run the rivers have been blown? I think peak (fishing)of the river run is a few weeks prior to spawn. Not that I have bought into this yet, but do find it interesting that it kills pre-spawn adults but not outgoing smolt in the spring. Maybe it just hasn't been noticed yet?
Albacore, the better white meat.

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2020, 12:30:23 AM »

Yeah, but not quite in the rivers yet. Seems two of the last three years during peak of the run the rivers have been blown? I think peak (fishing)of the river run is a few weeks prior to spawn. Not that I have bought into this yet, but do find it interesting that it kills pre-spawn adults but not outgoing smolt in the spring. Maybe it just hasn't been noticed yet?
[/quote]

Peak of the run in the south sound area hasn’t seen hardly any rain at all. :twocents:

Not only that, I’ve not seen a single fish floating dead the entire season...as far back as I can remember....and I fish almost daily during that time. :dunno:

Offline Hilltop123

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2020, 08:35:26 AM »
You can argue timing all you want. To me the real question is, why does this chemical only kill Coho? Why is there not a major fish kill every fall, of every species when the fall rains do come?
I will use Lake Washington as an example. That body of water probably recieves about as much roadway runoff as any, probably more. But yet, every fall at the start of the rainy season, we never see a major fish kill. If it were to happen, it would be all you would see on local news. KING, KIRO and KOMO would be showing it to you every night, as an example why we need to submit to climate change. Now do I think this chemical is harmful? No doubt it is, I just wish news like this was not treated as the next dooms day crisis we need to fix right now. Or it is death to all of us. This chemical also absolves all parties of there responsibility in the salmon solution, its now Les Schwab's fault. :twocents: 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Pairs by nwwanderer
[Today at 07:02:59 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]

Holster for FNS 40C by bb76
[Today at 06:37:56 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by Ridgeratt
[Today at 06:34:07 PM]