collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Backpacker magazine delusional  (Read 2054 times)

Offline Maybach Outdoors

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter

Offline Doublelunger

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough

Offline hunterednate

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Re: Backpacker magazine delusional
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 01:50:49 PM »
I disagree with the premise of that article entirely, but it's worth noting it was published under "opinion," and they've also recently published this piece:

https://www.backpacker.com/stories/hunters-pay-for-conservation-hikers-should-too

Offline Maybach Outdoors

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 01:56:20 PM »
Huh I did not see that conservation piece. Good to see it out there though.

Offline Maybach Outdoors

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 01:57:08 PM »
Whoops looks like the twitter link didn't work. Yes doublelunger that one!

Offline MonstroMuley

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 03:25:42 PM »
The one "Nugget" from this article is found @ very bottom of Comment Section by:
J.S.  trail trekker (on topic of CWD)
"There is a scientist with Louisiana State, Frank Bastian, that is in the works in making a cure so that's a win."

Googled "CWD Cure Louisiana State Scientist Frank Bastian" and discovered:
Several articles (some controversial) but, Sounds like "Hope for a Cure"?

DDH - BACTERIA AND CWD CURE: DR. BASTIAN SPEAKS
https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/content/articles/deer-news/bacteria-and-cwd-cure-dr-bastian-speaks

"Everyone has a Gut Pile..." - "The Nuge" (TN)

Offline elkboy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 04:00:52 PM »
Wow, so much wrong in that opinion piece, it is difficult to know where to begin. 

* Minorities and women are rapidly ascendant demographics within the hunting community, and a new generation of hunters, often oriented around food source values, are getting in the game.  I've witnessed this firsthand, having mentored four women (one African-American) to their first deer. 
* Managing landscapes for ungulate prey is not just a good idea for generating game animals, it is critical if we are going to allow predators to return to historic habitat.  The writer's argument is convoluted on this point.
*  Land management in no way resembles that of the 1920s, which was the first decade that fire suppression could really be recognized as generalized throughout the lower 48.  We have strongly rounded the corner not just on that, but on the value of complex older forests and complex post-disturbance (early successional) patches that are good for deer, elk, and host of others.
* Managing for hunters first may occur on some private lands throughout the nation, but I'd really like to see examples of where public lands are primarily managed for game animals or hunting.  I think it is a lot less common than the author seems to think.   Most public lands have strong orientation to other values, like conservation of rare habitats, generation of some commodities (timber, grazing, etc.), and non-hunting recreation.   If anything, I'd like to see more of our public lands managed with ungulate habitat in mind, especially here in the West. 
* The problems that the author cites (Lyme disease, vehicle strike, starvation) are more typical of eastern US landscapes, which are largely in private hands- and thus making the arguments a good bit less relevant to our issues in the public land-rich West. 
* Lastly, is managing for an elevated hunting experience so bad? At a time when we need more Americans to connect to the land, rather than disengage from it, we should seek to enhance all forms of outdoor recreation.  And, like it or not, that includes hunting, with its 12 million + adherents. 

I only wish Aldo were still alive to offer a strongly worded response. 

Offline Maybach Outdoors

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 07:42:35 AM »
Wow, so much wrong in that opinion piece, it is difficult to know where to begin. 

* Minorities and women are rapidly ascendant demographics within the hunting community, and a new generation of hunters, often oriented around food source values, are getting in the game.  I've witnessed this firsthand, having mentored four women (one African-American) to their first deer. 
* Managing landscapes for ungulate prey is not just a good idea for generating game animals, it is critical if we are going to allow predators to return to historic habitat.  The writer's argument is convoluted on this point.
*  Land management in no way resembles that of the 1920s, which was the first decade that fire suppression could really be recognized as generalized throughout the lower 48.  We have strongly rounded the corner not just on that, but on the value of complex older forests and complex post-disturbance (early successional) patches that are good for deer, elk, and host of others.
* Managing for hunters first may occur on some private lands throughout the nation, but I'd really like to see examples of where public lands are primarily managed for game animals or hunting.  I think it is a lot less common than the author seems to think.   Most public lands have strong orientation to other values, like conservation of rare habitats, generation of some commodities (timber, grazing, etc.), and non-hunting recreation.   If anything, I'd like to see more of our public lands managed with ungulate habitat in mind, especially here in the West. 
* The problems that the author cites (Lyme disease, vehicle strike, starvation) are more typical of eastern US landscapes, which are largely in private hands- and thus making the arguments a good bit less relevant to our issues in the public land-rich West. 
* Lastly, is managing for an elevated hunting experience so bad? At a time when we need more Americans to connect to the land, rather than disengage from it, we should seek to enhance all forms of outdoor recreation.  And, like it or not, that includes hunting, with its 12 million + adherents. 

I only wish Aldo were still alive to offer a strongly worded response.

Well said elkboy. One comment I do have is this idea of managing for an elevated hunting experience. It seems that the hunting community should figure out a better way to reframe this idea. I completely agree with you in that it is not so bad as it brings people back onto the landscape. However, it may add to the stereotypes that we already have to deal with... not sure how to reframe the idea of managing for fun/adventure/experience/ etc. without making it seem selfish.

Cheers,
M

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal