collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mississippi pot roast  (Read 10887 times)

Offline brewzer13

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Mississippi pot roast
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2021, 07:21:50 PM »
We tried the recipe today, added carrots and potatoes part way through. It was great! The wife really loved it and sent the recipe to the rest of the family already. Browning the meat first and adding a little Wooster was the perfect combo.

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2021, 06:18:19 PM »
Browned it this time added more peperoncinis(probably 10 total) and maybe 1/4 cup of the juice from the Pepper jar. Cut carrots smaller so they cooked all they way with purple taters (veggies in for last two hours). Angus chuck was on sale at Fred Meyer for 3.99 a pound smoking deal. 9 hours total time on a roast just under 4 pounds. It was fall apart tender delicious. Extra peppers and juice gave it the perfect tang.

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2021, 06:47:00 PM »
Browned it this time added more peperoncinis(probably 10 total) and maybe 1/4 cup of the juice from the Pepper jar. Cut carrots smaller so they cooked all they way with purple taters (veggies in for last two hours). Angus chuck was on sale at Fred Meyer for 3.99 a pound smoking deal. 9 hours total time on a roast just under 4 pounds. It was fall apart tender delicious. Extra peppers and juice gave it the perfect tang.
If you have any left over, in a day or so get some buns that toast up nicely and put it in with some Havarti or horseradish cheddar and dip in some au jus  :EAT:
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2021, 08:43:53 AM »
If you have any left over, in a day or so get some buns that toast up nicely and put it in with some Havarti or horseradish cheddar and dip in some au jus  :EAT:

Thanks I will have to try that, maybe on a good peace of french bread. Aaaaaaand, I'm hungry just thinking about it.

Offline asmith

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2021, 03:35:15 PM »
The wifes been making this for years.  Does in fact make the best elk roast out there.  I don't use pepperoncini's though, instead I use Sierra Nevada Regular Chileno Peppers from where I grew up.  These are the best pepper in the world, to me.  I buy them by the case and eat them with everything.  We always dump a whole jar in, liquid and all and double the au jus portion.
Right wing shooter, I aim for the left!!!

Nowhere in your incoherent rambling did you come close to what can be considered a rational thought. Everyone is now dumber having heard it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2021, 05:33:54 PM »
The wifes been making this for years.  Does in fact make the best elk roast out there.  I don't use pepperoncini's though, instead I use Sierra Nevada Regular Chileno Peppers from where I grew up.  These are the best pepper in the world, to me.  I buy them by the case and eat them with everything.  We always dump a whole jar in, liquid and all and double the au jus portion.

That's a nice take on the recipe. I thought to myself there is myriad of peppers or other pickled stuff with tang that could be substituted or added in there.

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2021, 10:12:56 AM »
First I have to say thank you Igor for posting this! I didn’t realize it was an internet craze. I don’t do to much else on the internet but visit here or a you tube video to help me fix something.

This turned out fantastic!!! I did it on a 6 pound angus chuck roast. I happened across other recipes to get a few different takes on how they were doing for comparison to your recipe here. Some used gravy instead of au jus but I figured I’d keep to the au jus.

I also heated a cast iron med hi and browned the outside. Some were talking about 1- 1/12 min but I just used my eye until it was a perfect light brown golden color little crust prob not even a minute.  The rest I followed just as you posted and when I served it I added a side of chopped peperoncini’s if someone wanted to add a little more on their own. We had friends over and they both added the extra. So adding more on cooking would probably be just fine.

With the leftovers I re heated it and made what I’m now calling Mississippi cheese steak. On a outdoor hoagie roll, I first lightly toasted in a pan with butter just on the inside portion, take it off and add meat and more butter To pan. While that’s heating add mayo on one side and two pieces of Havarti. By now the meat needs to be flipped and add mozzarella to the top so it starts to melt in. On the other side of the bun I spread honey mustard. Take the meat out and set on top of the havarti it’s a soft cheese and it melts easy. I topped it off with pickled sweet hot jalapeños we grew and canned up and it was another hit!

Two nights later we used the remainder for street taco’s and had another masterpiece 🤤 there are so many topping combos to add for tacos you can’t try them all in one night!!! Whatever you do on taco’s it will be great I’m sure. Guess I was so exited about the cheese steak I didn’t take a pic but was awesome!  :tup:

Oh the Tacos have caramelized onions, sharp and jack cheese, pickled sweet hot Jalapeños and avocado hot sauce.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 10:21:44 AM by M_ray »
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline dc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2021, 03:10:18 PM »
Im 6 hrs into the 8 hr cook on my first attempt at this method.  Good lord does it smell good.  I cut a nice whitetail roast from last seasons deer.  I will give my report in roughly 2 hrs.

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2021, 04:19:21 PM »
Im 6 hrs into the 8 hr cook on my first attempt at this method.  Good lord does it smell good.  I cut a nice whitetail roast from last seasons deer.  I will give my report in roughly 2 hrs.
Hope it is good, this recipe tends to work best with fatty more connective tissue roasts
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline dc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2021, 07:13:52 PM »
Ok, the jury is in.  I was mostly disappointed.  I believe I will try it with a fattier beef roast and see if that is better (for my liking)  It was to dry for my taste, but the flavor wasnt bad.  I really thought the Whitetail would be the bomb, since I think it is the best eating of the 3 (huntable) deer that occupy Washington.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 07:42:11 PM by dc »

Offline northwesthunter84

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2021, 08:40:55 PM »
I have made this for years with deer and elk roast but I sub in Italian dressing for the ranch and I finish it on Hoagie rolls, topped with provolone and toasted in the oven.  Tastes so good.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal