collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Rim Fire Rifle use during fall turkey season  (Read 32516 times)

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Rim Fire Rifle use during fall turkey season
« Reply #105 on: December 17, 2020, 05:18:25 PM »
They can sell access to use the permit, but then they waive rights for damage claims.
The stipulation that the state has with land owners is they open up access for hunters for damage tags.  Most are harvesting them selves or family only. 

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Landowners may sell access associated with Landowner LHP permits, but then must
waive the right to claims for wildlife damage. Selling access may also affect landowner
liability as described in RCW 4.24.200 and RCW 4.24.210. It is the responsibility of the
landowner to ensure they are protected against liability claims.

There are two sources of tags, a public draw and the ones given the landowner.  They can't sell the tags they are given but can sell the ability to get on the property - so in essence very close to the same thing.

I'm not an expert, just reading what is online.  I could be wrong.  There is also what is supposed to happen and what actually happens.

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #106 on: December 17, 2020, 05:42:26 PM »
So, the argument is that "good people" are poaching every fall, so we should change the law so they can be legal?

Some of the arguments made here resonate with me, but not that one.
Well happens all the time marijuana laws may be a good example for ya.
I'm not sure how it got on the table as a rule change but it might be interesting to know. :dunno:
No one is out using a .22 to hunt turkeys but i can bet they are using high power rifles during modern fire arm season.

Yes your right
I don't think anybody has hunted or harvested Turkey with a Rim fire. :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Just like nobody road hunts,goes behind non motorized gate with ATV,Legal,non legal,ethical stuff that goes on every fall. :chuckle: :chuckle: :dunno: I guess you must be right.

I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #107 on: December 17, 2020, 05:52:01 PM »
I don't know, do you think a .22 would be more lethal overall?  Vitals on a turkey are pretty dang small.
.22 LR are good, I thought .22 mag was pretty good too.  Some states don't have the gear restrictions as here.  In those states you could use centerfires, too; but that was usually a bit overkill.  I'd imagine the .204 or .17 rounds would be great for turkeys.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #108 on: December 17, 2020, 05:56:40 PM »
I've hit more than one gopher with a .22 that ran off never to be found.  We had to switch to hollow points or you would never see them.  They would get hit, flip up in the air, land on their back, scramble up and then take off like nothing happened.

The rancher would only pay for dead bodies, so we had to get the more expensive ammo which cut into our profit margins. :chuckle:

That said, I have never hit a turkey with a .22.

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #109 on: December 17, 2020, 07:05:20 PM »
I see two problems with this:

22 is not enough for a body shot on a turkey. They are tough and don't leave good blood trails.

If you allow rimfire then people will shoot them with scoped 22 mags. Not very sporting.

I also don't see how this would help get kids involved. A kid is better off with a 410 and you can get one for under 200.

Just not seeing it.

I'd like to see some proposals to improve the eastern populations.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #110 on: December 17, 2020, 07:47:45 PM »

22 is not enough for a body shot on a turkey. They are tough and don't leave good blood trails.

If you allow rimfire then people will shoot them with scoped 22 mags. Not very sporting.

I also don't see how this would help get kids involved. A kid is better off with a 410 and you can get one for under 200.

Just not seeing it.

It would appear that they want to reduce numbers... by increasing harvest...
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #111 on: December 17, 2020, 07:51:52 PM »

Just not seeing it.

Yup I agree but I highly doubt we will see any more turkeys brought into this state.  The state was abaolutley against that the last time we all talked about it.

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
« Reply #112 on: December 17, 2020, 08:25:31 PM »

Just not seeing it.

Yup I agree but I highly doubt we will see any more turkeys brought into this state.  The state was abaolutley against that the last time we all talked about it.

I just want to go over this.
22lr very poor choice won't kill a turkey even a body shot.
22 mag will stack turkeys like cord wood.
410 is the best youth option for turkeys.

WDFW won't bring anymore turkeys into our state that has a very sustainable population.
🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
  :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #113 on: December 17, 2020, 08:33:42 PM »

Just not seeing it.

I don't think they are doing this for sport. They want the population reduced.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #114 on: December 17, 2020, 08:46:14 PM »

Just not seeing it.

You may have said this previously...Are they also against translocation within the state?
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #115 on: December 17, 2020, 09:09:08 PM »
WDFW won't bring anymore turkeys into our state that has a very sustainable population.

Sure let's go over this.

22 is a poor choice for body shot. They are not crows. You can find videos of them running off after being shot with a 1.5 inch blade. Most people will aim for the body.

I can hit a turkey sized target at 100 yards with a 22 mag. Yes that is unsporting as everyone else would have to get closer.

Yes 410 is the best option for youth. It's low recoil and tungsten shot has improved its range.

Was talking about Easterns as in the subspecies. Not Eastern Washington. No they do not have a sustainable population.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
« Reply #116 on: December 17, 2020, 10:00:07 PM »

Sure let's go over this.

22 is a poor choice for body shot. They are not crows. You can find videos of them running off after being shot with a 1.5 inch blade. Most people will aim for the body.

I can hit a turkey sized target at 100 yards with a 22 mag. Yes that is unsporting as everyone else would have to get closer.

Yes 410 is the best option for youth. It's low recoil and tungsten shot has improved its range.

Was talking about Easterns as in the subspecies. Not Eastern Washington. No they do not have a sustainable population.
Sure we can
22lr shot placement something you seem to have with a 22mag and not a 22lr.

22mag you say you have shot placement.
But it's unsportsman like-thats a matter of opinions.

410 is a great youth caliber,just like 22lr,22mag,and any other Rim fire most youth learn to shot first .But with ANY firearm ,safety rules taught in hunters ed-and by parents still apply.Myself I would grab a Rim fire over a 410
Most expensive shells on the planet is what you get with a 410 .If you can find them this Turkey season.just my opinion.

Eastern sub spices well maybe they could have more time and money to deal with it.If they could deal with some of the problem birds in the northeast by passing a simple rule change.

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #117 on: December 17, 2020, 11:29:25 PM »
22lr shot placement something you seem to have with a 22mag and not a 22lr.

What I can shoot and what the public will shoot given the legalities are two different matters.

If you legalized 22lr most shots on turkeys would be to the body. That is the reality.

Legal 22 = more lost birds.

But it's unsportsman like-thats a matter of opinions.

Well yes there is no scientific or legal definition or sportsmanlike. But 22 mag hunters with a scope would have an advantage over shotgun hunters. So now you are giving out advantages....why? This doesn't make any sense.

Most expensive shells on the planet is what you get with a 410 .If you can find them this Turkey season.just my opinion.

Relative to other turkey hunting costs they are minor. Even at $5 a shell.. so what? You spend way more in gas and food. When you finally get on a group of turkeys you don't care about 5 dollars a shot. Anyone trying to save money by hunting turkeys should not be hunting turkeys. Butterball is the low budget option.

Eastern sub spices well maybe they could have more time and money to deal with it.If they could deal with some of the problem birds in the northeast by passing a simple rule change.

The whole thing smells of BS. What farmer can't afford a Wally World shotgun to deal with problem turkeys? How many farmers have a 22 but not a shotgun? This doesn't make any sense. This just comes from unethical land owners that want to mow down a flock of turkeys with a 10/22 even if half run off to the woods.

There are already programs for land owners with problem turkeys. Eastern populations are the problem, not Eastern Wa farmers with too many turkeys.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 11:35:00 PM by konradcountry »

Offline ne kid

• Scout
« Reply #118 on: December 18, 2020, 12:48:40 AM »
I got denied for a depredation permit, and getting any compensation from WDFW LOL. Answering a phone or email would be a good first step they are a complete joke.

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #119 on: December 18, 2020, 04:45:43 AM »

Just not seeing it.

You may have said this previously...Are they also against translocation within the state?
Trapping and translocation is a sticky subject.  They say no but they are doing in and around Spokane and then relocating them north of Spokane and west but not far.  There has been no turkey plan in place for this state in 10 plus years.  So no management plan of birds.  When we sat with them 5 years ago and started on a trap and transport SOP we made suggestions of the Yakima Valley.  I even had them thinking about the NW part of the state.  Department turn over and that SOP disappeared.

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]