collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hearing Protection  (Read 9754 times)

Offline Phishead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Hearing Protection
« on: December 09, 2020, 10:19:52 PM »
Curious if anyone has a recommendation on hearing protection for the field. I’ve been looking at the Walker earbuds but the reviews are very inconsistent. Ears are starting to ring after a day of waterfowl hunting. Not a fan of the foam plugs given they reduce noise across the board. I normally wear muffs at the range but they’re not ideal for the field. I need something to reduce blast while amplifying ambient noise like geese in the distance. Any products y’all like?

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
Re: Hearing Protection
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 03:56:29 AM »
I have the Walker Silencers which are the ear bud ones.  Love them.  I would imagine they would be awesome waterfowl.  I use them on the range.  Turkey hunting is hard because it muffles my calling so I don't know how loud I am calling.  I see that the have an over the ear bone style out.  https://www.walkersgameear.com/raptor-headset/.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 06:28:28 AM »
I use over the ear muffs, several different electronic ones on the market in the $50-75 range and they work great for hunting.  I have a Peltor set that need replacing after about 10 years of use.

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 06:28:38 AM »
I have the Walker Silencers which are the ear bud ones.  Love them.  I would imagine they would be awesome waterfowl.  I use them on the range.  Turkey hunting is hard because it muffles my calling so I don't know how loud I am calling.  I see that the have an over the ear bone style out.  https://www.walkersgameear.com/raptor-headset/.

Looking at those Raptors there are for enhancement.  You would have to use foam plugs in yiur earsbfor protection but you will still be able to hear with the bone induction.

Russell McDonald

Offline Emptyhanded

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 07:11:18 AM »
I have a set of the walkers ear buds also, but both of them died with in a year of purchase. I used them for upland hunting and moving through cover with the dogs, the wind and brush noise was pretty bad with them in unless I turned my head a certain direction. I personally would not buy them again.

I have been looking at alternative options also and came across these companies.

https://www.decibullz.com/custom-molded-percussive-shooting-filters/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInanl-tfD7QIVFR-tBh15MgTbEAQYASABEgIRU_D_BwE

I am interested in these but am conserved with how well I’ll be able to hear with the “percussive filter”.

Here are two other electronic options I e been looking at. I’m hoping someone has some feed back.

https://www.goaxil.com/product-category/all-in-one-ear-buds/

https://www.soundgearhearing.com/collections/instant-fit/products/hearing-protection-for-hunters-shooters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 09:16:19 AM »
Walker slim electronic muffs at $40 are only rated 23db but work fine for hunting for me with a braked Lapua.  Not sure about waterfowl but would think fine.

Offline northwesthunter84

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 09:25:04 AM »
I switched to the Axil Ghost Strike Extremes this year.  Very happy with noise reduction and with battery life.  I used them duck hunting and deer hunting.  I love being able to talk in the blind without having to scream.  That said the over the ears Walkers did better with wind outside the blind.  If I knew my dad would not loose them (common theme), I would buy him a set.  Still trying to convince the misses to use some because she runs a lathe at work all the time.

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 09:34:37 AM »
I have a set of the walkers ear buds also, but both of them died with in a year of purchase. I used them for upland hunting and moving through cover with the dogs, the wind and brush noise was pretty bad with them in unless I turned my head a certain direction. I personally would not buy them again.

I have been looking at alternative options also and came across these companies.

https://www.decibullz.com/custom-molded-percussive-shooting-filters/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInanl-tfD7QIVFR-tBh15MgTbEAQYASABEgIRU_D_BwE

I am interested in these but am conserved with how well I’ll be able to hear with the “percussive filter”.

Here are two other electronic options I e been looking at. I’m hoping someone has some feed back.

https://www.soundgearhearing.com/collections/instant-fit/products/hearing-protection-for-hunters-shooters

Were those the rechargeable ones?  I have had mine for a couple years now. 

Russell McDonald

Offline Emptyhanded

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2020, 09:56:58 AM »

Mine took the hearing aid batteries.

Offline The Big Game Hunter

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
    • https://www.facebook.com/biggamehuntingadventures
    • Big Game Hunting Adventures
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2020, 10:31:01 AM »
I use Howard Leight Impact Sport over the ear muffs. They provide really good hearing enhancement (and protection) and they don't get in the way when I shoot shotguns or rifles. I've done quite a bit of waterfowl and big game hunting with those ear muffs with good results.
They cost around $50, so they're pretty reasonably priced. I bought my first pair almost 10 years ago and they're still working fine. As an added bonus, they use regular AAA batteries.
https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/best-hunting-ear-protection/

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer

Offline TheStovePipeKid

• They call me MISTER KID!
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • I. Kill. Turkey.
    • TheStovePipeKid
  • Groups: NWTF Annual Member, NRA Extended Pay Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2020, 11:24:03 AM »
I have a set of the original style Axil Ghost Stryke ear buds. They've lasted for several years of hunting and work well. They are the entry level model for the Axil brand if I'm not mistaken. If you plan on using the hearing protection several times a year for many years I would recommend saving up and getting a quality pair. Seems like most of the sub $100 pairs are hit or miss.
I laugh in the face of Danger. Ha ha ha Danger Face!

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2020, 08:45:36 PM »

Mine took the hearing aid batteries.

Yeah I had those and hated them.  New gen us awesome.

Russell McDonald

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2020, 09:02:16 PM »
I've been using Howard Leight - Impact Sport muffs for years. Thin and use a common AAA battery, use them on the range, duck blind and on walkabout big game hunting. I've used Walkers and Peltors and the Howard Leight just out perform and the other two. During duck season when I had a lease I used them every weekend for the entire season with only one battery change.   
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline BeWitty

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2020, 12:56:15 PM »
Has anyone used the higher end options? Sound gear or Tetra?

Wondering if anyone has tried going through insurance or an HSA?

Offline hunterednate

• Scout
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2020, 01:30:19 PM »
I'm on my second season using Tetra, and I'm happy with them. Pricy, but comfortable. Time will tell how durable they are. Sound quality is better than anything else I've tried.

Offline BeWitty

• Hunter
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2020, 01:40:02 PM »
How’s the sound while calling? Can you hear yourself?

Offline hunterednate

• Scout
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2020, 04:25:43 PM »
Definitely. You can hear yourself calling crystal clear.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2020, 04:51:16 PM »
I really should start wearing hearing protection while duck hunting but I can't decide which route to go. Muffs are nice because I don't have to worry as much as losing them like I would with an earbud falling out of my ear. The thing I don't like about muffs is that after wearing for a little while, I tend to get a pressure headache. The other issue I have with either style is how loud they can get in the wind, especially if you are in the reeds.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Brushcrawler

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2020, 06:41:27 PM »
I’ve been wearing the same pair of SoundGear for four years. Put them in when I leave the truck, take them out at the end of the day. Still comfortable 12 hours later and have never fallen out or had any problem in the rain.
There is not enough wilderness left in the world, or in the hearts of men.

Offline BeWitty

• Hunter
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2020, 07:38:45 AM »
I’ve been wearing the same pair of SoundGear for four years. Put them in when I leave the truck, take them out at the end of the day. Still comfortable 12 hours later and have never fallen out or had any problem in the rain.

Which Soundgears do you have? The custom fit Silvers or Platinum or the orange instant fit ones? Did you pay out of pocket or successfully get insurance or and HSA to pay?

Offline Brushcrawler

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2020, 09:13:07 AM »
Just the instant fit, although I might upgrade if I ever have to replace them. It never occurred to me to try to get reimbursed for them. That’s a great idea and worth a try!
There is not enough wilderness left in the world, or in the hearts of men.

Offline BeWitty

• Hunter
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2020, 08:45:00 PM »
I got a Letter of Medical Necessity from my Dr and now my HSA will pay for the electronic Hearing Protection. I have it narrowed down to Tetra Alpha Shield or Soundgear Platinum. I’m leaning towards the Soundgear.

Any additional info? I’m all ears.

Offline BeWitty

• Hunter
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2020, 04:42:58 PM »
Hearing Clinic near me is a distributor for SoundGear so I decided to go with those. I went with the Phantoms since they are rechargeable and Bluetooth capable. Should get them in a couple weeks.

Offline BeWitty

• Hunter
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2020, 05:26:56 PM »
I got my SoundGear Phantoms today. I will use them for a hunt on Saturday and report back how they are.

Offline longrange7mm

• Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2021, 05:30:14 AM »
Id highly recommend the Otto NoizeBarrier's I just finished a review on them you should check out.

https://www.rokslide.com/otto-noizebarrier-micro-ear-protection-review/
Never to far, Just grab another minute!

Offline spoonman

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2021, 06:47:18 AM »
I have the walker ear buds and like them. If it’s windy they are annoying.

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2021, 07:30:47 AM »
I can vouch for 3M brand Peltor.  The TEP-200 is their top of the line tactical ear plugs.  Amazon had a "prime" sale on the industrial version of that, the EEP-100 model, two summers ago at 50% off so I bought one of those instead....same darn thing they're just far less expensive than the "tactical" model and neon green color instead of black.  Get the "skull screw" ear inserts as they just screw into your ear and stay put....no worries about coming out.   My only complaint is they pick up noise too well, so if I wear them while stalking I hear my clothes rustling...mostly just an annoyance....but nice when sitting to pick up animal footsteps or a distant bull bugle.  But they shut off pretty well in high wind which is nice.  I use them for everything: duck blind so I can hear my buddies talking until the shot goes off, big game hunting, upland hunting (again putting up with my clothing noise), chainsawing/splitting firewood, and working in the shop with wood/metal cutting tools, etc.  They get used alot and I love them.  Still going strong with no issues after two years of heavy use.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-PELTOR-Tactical-Earplug-TEP-100-1-Kit-EA-Case/?N=5002385+3292682142&rt=rud

Offline High Climber

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2021, 07:46:46 AM »
Id highly recommend the Otto NoizeBarrier's I just finished a review on them you should check out.

Thanks for that review, looks like a good option

Offline longrange7mm

• Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2021, 08:48:47 AM »

Thanks for that review, looks like a good option

:tup: you bet
Never to far, Just grab another minute!

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2021, 09:18:27 AM »
I have the walkers razer bone conducting headphones since I have severe to profound conductive hearing loss. The little hammer and anvil bones don't move, and my eardrum doesn't vibrate, but my nerves are fine. 

Walkets Bone conduction bypasses the bad parts of my ears, but I wouldn't reccomend them unless you have conductive hearing loss. I woyld opt for high end in ear products that aren't Walkers.

The Walkers razors work ok, but as with all Walkers products (after they outsourced to China) you pay heafty premium prices for junk.

I have ear surgery coming in a month or two see if they can free up those tiny bones and get them moving. It affects my hunting a great deal, as I can't hear a cow elk and have to be on top of a bull to hear a bugle.

If that doesn't work then its perminant conductive hearing aids for me.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]