collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Where Are the Ducks  (Read 5807 times)

Offline Bucks2Ducks

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Re: Where Are the Ducks
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2020, 10:24:01 PM »
Flooded corn complexes are holding a lot of birds right now. No reason for them to go elsewhere if they have food and water and roost ponds in the same spot.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Lodge/Eagle-Lakes-Ranch-Lodge-262553643754667/
Well actually there is when they're getting shot at. But good to see your still blaming everything on the flooded corn
When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters and we want our freedom-Sitting Bull

Offline hunterednate

• Scout
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2020, 10:22:01 AM »
Flooded corn complexes are holding a lot of birds right now. No reason for them to go elsewhere if they have food and water and roost ponds in the same spot.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Lodge/Eagle-Lakes-Ranch-Lodge-262553643754667/
Well actually there is when they're getting shot at. But good to see your still blaming everything on the flooded corn

True, hunting pressure will push birds off flooded corn. But most corn pond complexes employ strategies to reduce or distribute hunting pressure (such as rotating which ponds they hunt, never shooting into big groups, hunting midday instead of early morning/last light, etc.). Smart managers can thereby keep birds on their property throughout the season. Eagle Lakes, for example, advertises over 40 corn ponds (each of which can hold thousands of birds). A smart manager will carefully select which ponds and which ponds to rest in order to keep the birds on their property.

Another factor to consider is to what extent corn ponds influence mallards' nocturnal behavior. This article has some info along those lines (and may explain why corn ponds are still holding tons of birds, but have become less effective as hunting tools, even for those with access to them):

https://www.wildfowlmag.com/editorial/are-mallard-ducks-becoming-nocturnal/374937

Keep in mind that most large clubs designate "roost lakes" that never get hunted, period. The ducks can loaf on these lakes midday, feed in the flooded corn at night....and never have a reason to fly over public land again for the rest of the season.

Good public hunting can still be had on the eastside, but I'd be very surprised if the explosion of flooded corn over the last decade has not had a big influence on local duck distribution.

Offline ClemsonJosh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2020, 10:25:04 AM »
There’s probably an influence, but I am not trying to debate factors I don’t have any control over right now.

Went and shot a few ducks this weekend, but again kind of stale and not much fat on them my best guess is there hasn’t been a big push. But was just trying to confirm if others were seeing the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2020, 10:59:07 AM »
There’s probably an influence, but I am not trying to debate factors I don’t have any control over right now.

Went and shot a few ducks this weekend, but again kind of stale and not much fat on them my best guess is there hasn’t been a big push. But was just trying to confirm if others were seeing the same.

Contrary to the popular line of thinking- birds with little fat on them ARE the migrators.

Big fat mallards are birds that have been around for awhile.
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Offline hunterednate

• Scout
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2020, 12:08:54 PM »

Contrary to the popular line of thinking- birds with little fat on them ARE the migrators.

Big fat mallards are birds that have been around for awhile.

Very true. I've read that it takes 2-3 weeks for mallards to rebuild fat reserves after a big flight. Skinny birds are the fresh ones!

Offline hunterednate

• Scout
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2020, 12:10:43 PM »

Nice! Keep after it. My wife just had a baby so I'm grounded from duck hunting for now. Hoping by the time I'm back into it in Jan there will be another push of birds.

Offline Sneaky

• Savage
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2020, 01:43:36 PM »
factors that have most negatively impacted waterfowl hunting in washington in my lifetime:

1. climate change

2. flooded corn

Migrations aren't occurring the way they used to. We just haven't had the weather. The few ducks that are around are being harvested and controlled in general like never before through careful management and legal baiting that cannot be accomplished on public lands to the same extent. Anyone who can't see this in simply in denial. Compared to previous years, a lot of guide services are struggling to kill birds this year. Some have even resorted to having clients hunt big water and shoot divers. Doesn't make sense when you own flooded corn mallard mecca.

That being said, there are still some birds to kill and you just have to think outside the box and pay attention to what is happening in your area.

Offline GFB_Recon

• Tracker
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2020, 11:07:13 PM »
Their hiding out at my daughters soccer field
Breath Aim Relax Squeeze

Offline Oldpirate

• Pilgrim
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2020, 01:09:37 PM »