collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Elk Hunting Boots....  (Read 14831 times)

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: Elk Hunting Boots....
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2020, 01:47:55 PM »
Geeeez, I remember when Rocky boots were good, does that make me old???

No, it just makes you a bad judge of boots. :chuckle:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2020, 02:06:14 PM »
Normally I wouldn't add my opinion to a boot thread 5 pages long, but I thought I'd throw this in:
Last year my VA doc told me that I should start wearing orthopedic shoes.  I noticed that Kenetrek started making an orthopedic version of the Mountain Extreme.  No way I was going to fork out $700 for them, but I noticed a pair on Ebay for a couple hundred bucks in my size, so I bid on them.  Wound up getting them for under $300.  When they arrived, they basically looked like a set of Mountain Extremes, with some kind of rod on both sides of the uppers for support.  The midsole was stiffer than my old Kenetreks, but that could be just because they are new. :dunno:
I wore them this year elk hunting in Idaho.  They're great.  Probably the first year that I haven't twisted my ankle in some way (my ankles are shot, as is my knee, hip and back).  I also noticed that I am much less fatigued after hiking in them than in my old boots (I wore the old boots the first day). 
Just thought I'd throw that out there if anyone is thinking about buying a pair.
I still don't know that I would fork out $689 for them.  I don't see $200 worth of "extra" features from regular Mountain Extremes.  I suspect the cost is the result of people buying them with their health insurance or HSAs.  I do like mine though. :)

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2020, 03:01:14 PM »
Never even thought about trying to buy a pair of boots using HSA money...…  Guess if they are bought to keep planter facia at bay it could qualify? 

Looks like I need to do some research later  :chuckle:
In God we trust, all others bring cash.

Do not say, Why were the old days better than these? For it is not wise to ask such questions.
Ecclesiastes 7 10

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2020, 04:31:31 PM »
My all time favorite and current boot I use are Lowa Tibets, my current set has been through 500+ miles including tundra, mountains, snow, shale and west side swamp. They have never let me down. They are by far the best fit for my feet and have everything I could ask for in a hunting boot. I like them so much I wear Lowa Renegades as my daily boot.

I tried Crispi Nevada's and may be the only person on the planet that hates them. They create pressure points on the top of my foot. For what they cost I returned them within a week.

Danner pronghorns, were ok but a tad on the narrow side for me and I would get blisters.

Irish setter elk trekkers, great in cold weather if sitting still. Like a brick if you are hiking, I think they are over 3 lbs a boot insulated.

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2020, 04:44:44 PM »
I guess too, if you are an archery hunter. The Lowa Renegades are awesome, super lightweight but colder than my Tibets. Renegades are not quite as good (my opinion) if you sidehill a lot.

Offline b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2020, 11:15:19 PM »
Love my Renagades, looks like I need to try out some Tibets based on feedback in this thread
In God we trust, all others bring cash.

Do not say, Why were the old days better than these? For it is not wise to ask such questions.
Ecclesiastes 7 10

Offline niersfan80

• Pilgrim
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2021, 06:59:42 PM »
Crispi Nevada's for me. Still water proof 3 years in with many miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2021, 11:52:44 AM »
I guess too, if you are an archery hunter. The Lowa Renegades are awesome, super lightweight but colder than my Tibets. Renegades are not quite as good (my opinion) if you sidehill a lot.

I like the stiffness of my Ranger GTXs for side hilling.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2021, 12:16:03 PM »
I’ve had my Lowa Tibet GTX (Highs) for two seasons now. Absolutely bombproof boots that will probably last longer than I’ll be able to hike the steep country that necessitates mega ankle support. I’ve been digging around for a lighter, early season boot and came across Zanberlan,s new 1104 Storm Pro GTX RR. The big brown truck delivered them on Friday and my initial thoughts are “like x 10”. I think these will serve me just fine. Here’s a link if you’d like to scope em out.  https://www.zamberlanusa.com/product/20821860/1104-storm-pro-gtx-r-rr-men-s-hunting-boots-dark-brown. I’ll start hiking/breaking them in soon.

Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2021, 09:31:27 PM »
Glad you got it figured out and made a decision. Hope they work the way you want.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2021, 05:21:38 AM »
interesting to see what you think of them
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Hart

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2021, 08:07:34 PM »
I picked up a pair of Hoffman's a couple years ago, the Armor Pro I think? I love them. Super comfortable, really tough, and don't leak a drop. I went with the 8" boot. They are definitely several steps above boots I've had in the past (Wolverine, Irish Setter).

They are composite toe so a bit heavier than your normal hunting boot, but that meant work paid for half of them. Otherwise the price tag would have given me pause...but it's a case of you get what you pay for.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal