collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Which gun I should Buy?  (Read 5708 times)

Offline Prepp_45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Which gun I should Buy?
« on: December 23, 2020, 10:51:43 AM »
I need to buy a new gun for hunting. However, I got stuck in taking the correct decision on the gun the brand, caliber, or type. I have one Marlin 336. So can you guys please suggest to me one of the affordable and good rifles for hunting? I also did some research on this and read several blogs on this. Still need some advice :) Thanks for any inputs.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 10:36:19 AM by Prepp_45 »

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
Re: Which gun I should Buy?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 10:54:29 AM »
Savage makes a fine rifle and depending on your budget you can spen anywhere from 300-1500 dollars.  As for caliber that depends on what your hunting?   You should provide more info on what your hunting and budget. 

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 10:55:58 AM »
Any Savage whatever caliber you're comfortable with.
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 10:56:11 AM »
What is affordable to you?

Offline Buckhunter24

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2020, 11:45:46 AM »
I had the same question a couple years back. I went with a savage axis in 30 06. Was 330 bucks with a scope and shoots great. The scope is definitely on the cheap side that I will upgrade at some point.

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 11:48:16 AM »
And maybe where, as in open country or timber.  Capable at one may not be stellar at the other.

Offline highside74

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 12:30:52 PM »
Savage or Tikka for a gun under $800 that will shoot factory loads well and be very accurate.

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2020, 01:11:42 PM »
Tough to beat Savage or Ruger American for basic value.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2020, 03:09:59 PM »
Take a look at the Savage 110 Storm.

Real happy with mine.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Curly

• Legend
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2020, 03:20:12 PM »
I need to buy a new gun for hunting. However, I got stuck in taking the correct decision on the brand, caliber, or type. I have one Marlin 336. So can you guys please suggest to me one of the affordable and good rifles for hunting? I also did some research on this and read several blogs on this. Still need some advice :) Thanks for any inputs.

What species are you going to be hunting?  deer, elk, antelope, bear, moose........???

What type of hunting will you be doing? Road hunting, spot and stalk, sitting in a stand, still hunting, etc?  :dunno:
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2020, 03:59:59 PM »
Take a look at the Savage 110 Storm.

Real happy with mine.

This. I have one also, put a Sig Sauer scope on it. Great rifle and value IMO.
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2020, 04:05:32 PM »
Tikka in .300WSM it covers all the above

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2020, 04:09:32 PM »
Assuming you are asking about deer hunting...
Last year I bought a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor.  Paid less than $400 for it at BiMart, bought it as a "backup rifle" on the advice of several buddies that have one.  I took it to the range one time and was shooting a sub-MOA group with Hornandy 143 gr ELDx bullets.  I let my 12 year old try it.  His first 3 shots were nearly touching.  He announced to me that he was going to hunt with it that fall.  He has used it this year and last year, as did my 21 year old.  They have killed 4 mule deer, 2 antelope and a bear with it. Closest shot was 115 yards, longest was 355. None of those animals ran more than 50 yards and none needed more than one shot.  This year I upgraded the scope to a SIG Whiskey 5.  My 13 year old rings steel at 500 yards without trouble shot after shot.  He is less than 100 lbs and can shoot it all day without the recoil bothering him.
Unless you are going for "bigger game" (Elk, Moose, etc...) I would recommend this rifle. I bought the "Predator" model (it's green) because it comes with a factory mounted rail for your scope.
I keep hearing this comment over and over and I'll add my voice to it:  "This rifle shoots WAY better than a $400 gun has any right to shoot".
 I know there's a lot of controversy about this round, but needless to say; I am impressed with mine.   :twocents:
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline BreezyBear

• Scout
  • RMEF Life Member
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2020, 04:12:44 PM »
Tikka 7mm Rem Mag, mine is my favorite rifle, smooth and accurate!

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Online elkrack

• Framer
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2020, 06:47:18 PM »
Looking at the ammo shelves at sportsman’s warehouse I would buy 300wsm, 25-06, 28 nosler or 7mm wsm. These calibers actually have plenty ammo stocked!
life's tough its tougher if your stupid (john wayne)

If you ain’t first your last☝🏻

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2020, 07:04:06 PM »
Looking at the ammo shelves at sportsman’s warehouse I would buy 300wsm, 25-06, 28 nosler or 7mm wsm. These calibers actually have plenty ammo stocked!
:yeah: same at sportco just now.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2020, 07:07:59 PM »
Go look at a local store and see what ammo you can get ahold of right now, then buy one of those!
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2020, 10:22:13 PM »
I would NOT select a rifle/caliber based on what ammo is available at this moment.  Get whatever caliber you've been wanting in whatever rifle you decide to get.  Ammo will appear back on the shelves like it always does.  The ammo companies are going all out to get shelves restocked, they say it may be 6-9months.  Don't get a caliber you aren't thrilled with just because that's what's there now.  Or do, if you just like buying a bunch of rifles, I mean that is fun too.

Offline MeatMissile

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Hunter
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2020, 02:06:57 AM »
A: What are you hunting?
B: What terrain/vegetation?
C: What is your preferred hunting style?

For example, the rifle I would carry on a pronghorn hunt in open prairie would be different than what I would carry if still-hunting timber for blacktails.  If I were shooting forest grouse, I might carry a 22.  If I were hunting pheasants, maybe a 20 or 12ga. 

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2020, 11:39:14 PM »
Ruger American 6.5 or 7mm-08.

Warning: You will piss off people that paid $1200 for a rifle.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2020, 05:26:37 AM »
Pretty tough to beat a Ruger American for cost and basic quality. I'm not a savage fan but they also make some basic rifles that are reliable and very accurate.

The next best option, a little more cost and a little higher quality is a Weatherby Vanguard which is available in most popular calibers. They shoot very well!

For the average person it makes sense to buy one of the most versatile and popular calibers such as .243, 270, 7mm RM, 308, 30/06, 300WM. If you can't find ammo just post a classified on this forum that you need to buy some ammo, someone will have ammo available.

After you purchase a rifle then get a good scope, the rule of thumb is to spend as much or more on the scope, if you have to get the cheaper rifle get the cheaper rifle rather than the cheaper scope! FWIW: If you buy one of those savage rifles that has a cheap scope mounted on it, discard the junk scope and get a better scope as soon as you can afford a better scope. 

I know a lot of guys like Vortex but they have thin tubes and I know of a lot of Vortex that had have to be warrantied. I prefer Nikon or Leopold for affordable quality scopes. I think you are better off buying a used Nikon or Leopold than a new Vortex!

These are just my opinions and preferences. There probably isn't a rifle for sale that won't get the job done one way or another.  :twocents:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2020, 05:57:15 AM »
Pretty tough to beat a Ruger American for cost and basic quality. I'm not a savage fan but they also make some basic rifles that are reliable and very accurate.

The next best option, a little more cost and a little higher quality is a Weatherby Vanguard which is available in most popular calibers. They shoot very well!

For the average person it makes sense to buy one of the most versatile and popular calibers such as .243, 270, 7mm RM, 308, 30/06, 300WM. If you can't find ammo just post a classified on this forum that you need to buy some ammo, someone will have ammo available.

After you purchase a rifle then get a good scope, the rule of thumb is to spend as much or more on the scope, if you have to get the cheaper rifle get the cheaper rifle rather than the cheaper scope! FWIW: If you buy one of those savage rifles that has a cheap scope mounted on it, discard the junk scope and get a better scope as soon as you can afford a better scope. 

I know a lot of guys like Vortex but they have thin tubes and I know of a lot of Vortex that had have to be warrantied. I prefer Nikon or Leopold for affordable quality scopes. I think you are better off buying a used Nikon or Leopold than a new Vortex!

These are just my opinions and preferences. There probably isn't a rifle for sale that won't get the job done one way or another.  :twocents:
Mostly agree with this except for the Nikon part.  They stopped making rifle scopes, while their scopes were good for their price point, I wouldn't buy one just for the fact that eventually you won't be able to get service or parts for them.  Vortex has always treated me well.  A good Leupold will last a long long long time.

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2020, 07:20:07 AM »
I didn't know Nikon quite building scopes? Sorry to hear that.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2020, 07:27:14 AM »
With the Vortex scopes I would use 6 screw rings.  Like stated thin tubes move under narrow rings.   Twice scopes sent back were determined to be moving within the rings.

Offline Houndhunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2020, 08:53:41 AM »
I've become a big fan of the 6.5300wby, expensive ammo but that gun sure is sweet to hunt with. Very flat and hits hard.

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2020, 11:31:16 AM »
Even admitting to owning 2 6.5cm, which is a great caliber (as is any .264), and having both smaller and bigger, and having had rifles from 22-250 through .338 win, If I had to give them all up and replace them with one rifle, it would be some what of a return to roots for me as I would get a .270 win in a blink. Ive killed deer elk and bear in the past with the .270 handily.

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2020, 04:19:09 PM »

Have you tried the Axis 2? Put a boyds stock on it and you have a really nice rifle.

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2020, 04:44:59 PM »
Weatherby vanguard
Darn nice rifles
Have 2
257 mag
Great shooters
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline havershap

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, CRPA, Wyoming Wildlife Foundation
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2020, 05:51:39 PM »
I have a Tika T3 light hunter in .300 WSM.  I can highly recommend the make and model.  It is very smooth, shoots any ammo that I  feed it into 1 MOA and my handloads into .5 MOA.  But I wouldn't by that caliber again.  If I had it to do over again, I'd get in .30-06 or, if you're willing to sacrifice some ballistic performance to reduce recoil, .308.

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2021, 08:16:11 AM »
If I was to buy another bolt action new at this point it’d probably be a Winchester m70 featherweight. Nice to carry and tend to shoot well. As someone who owns rifles running the gamut between .250 savage and .375 ruger I’d say it’s hard to go wrong with a .308 or .30-06, but the 6.5 creedmoor and .270 are plenty adequate as well.

I tend to think most here over scope their rifles big time though.  I like lighter weight, lower powered scopes myself. Reduces “target panic”. I don’t own anything over a 3-9x40 these days, my favorite hunting rifle (a .358 win) wears a 1.5-5x20 leupold. Can you hit a target at 50 yards with open sights? With a 4x fixed scope, that target will appear the same size at 200 yards as it would be at 50 with irons.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Online wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2021, 08:31:58 AM »
If I was to buy another bolt action new at this point it’d probably be a Winchester m70 featherweight. Nice to carry and tend to shoot well. As someone who owns rifles running the gamut between .250 savage and .375 ruger I’d say it’s hard to go wrong with a .308 or .30-06, but the 6.5 creedmoor and .270 are plenty adequate as well.

I tend to think most here over scope their rifles big time though.  I like lighter weight, lower powered scopes myself. Reduces “target panic”. I don’t own anything over a 3-9x40 these days, my favorite hunting rifle (a .358 win) wears a 1.5-5x20 leupold. Can you hit a target at 50 yards with open sights? With a 4x fixed scope, that target will appear the same size at 200 yards as it would be at 50 with irons.
I agree with Mr. Tuna (@BigGoonTuna) 100%. I have two rifles with something bigger than a 3X9 both varmint guns .223 & 22-250. Everything else has a 3X9X40-50, with an exception my single shot 45-70 runs a fixed 2X.
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2021, 06:00:58 AM »
 :yeah:  Good point about hunters being over scoped!

Every year I see the implications of hunters who are over scoped. I could not tell you how many times animals have gotten away because hunters had their scope on too high of power and couldn't find the animal in the scope or times that they were playing with dials when they should be shooting and the animal disappears without a shot being taken. Happens a lot!

Hunters should be able to shoulder their rifle and the target should be in the scope, if they can't do that then they need to practice more or get lower powered scope so that they can do that.  :twocents:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Woodchuck
[Today at 07:05:51 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]