collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Which gun I should Buy?  (Read 5709 times)

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: Which gun I should Buy?
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2021, 08:16:11 AM »
If I was to buy another bolt action new at this point it’d probably be a Winchester m70 featherweight. Nice to carry and tend to shoot well. As someone who owns rifles running the gamut between .250 savage and .375 ruger I’d say it’s hard to go wrong with a .308 or .30-06, but the 6.5 creedmoor and .270 are plenty adequate as well.

I tend to think most here over scope their rifles big time though.  I like lighter weight, lower powered scopes myself. Reduces “target panic”. I don’t own anything over a 3-9x40 these days, my favorite hunting rifle (a .358 win) wears a 1.5-5x20 leupold. Can you hit a target at 50 yards with open sights? With a 4x fixed scope, that target will appear the same size at 200 yards as it would be at 50 with irons.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Online wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2021, 08:31:58 AM »
If I was to buy another bolt action new at this point it’d probably be a Winchester m70 featherweight. Nice to carry and tend to shoot well. As someone who owns rifles running the gamut between .250 savage and .375 ruger I’d say it’s hard to go wrong with a .308 or .30-06, but the 6.5 creedmoor and .270 are plenty adequate as well.

I tend to think most here over scope their rifles big time though.  I like lighter weight, lower powered scopes myself. Reduces “target panic”. I don’t own anything over a 3-9x40 these days, my favorite hunting rifle (a .358 win) wears a 1.5-5x20 leupold. Can you hit a target at 50 yards with open sights? With a 4x fixed scope, that target will appear the same size at 200 yards as it would be at 50 with irons.
I agree with Mr. Tuna (@BigGoonTuna) 100%. I have two rifles with something bigger than a 3X9 both varmint guns .223 & 22-250. Everything else has a 3X9X40-50, with an exception my single shot 45-70 runs a fixed 2X.
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Online bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2021, 06:00:58 AM »
 :yeah:  Good point about hunters being over scoped!

Every year I see the implications of hunters who are over scoped. I could not tell you how many times animals have gotten away because hunters had their scope on too high of power and couldn't find the animal in the scope or times that they were playing with dials when they should be shooting and the animal disappears without a shot being taken. Happens a lot!

Hunters should be able to shoulder their rifle and the target should be in the scope, if they can't do that then they need to practice more or get lower powered scope so that they can do that.  :twocents:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal