collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 410 Reloading Nontoxic  (Read 5127 times)

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
410 Reloading Nontoxic
« on: December 23, 2020, 04:02:00 PM »
Looking for load data for 410 reloading nontoxic shot. 3 inch loads. Open to suggestions. Steel, bismuth, tss, etc. Depending on loads and availability of components I will load what I can come up with. Anyone have any info that would be great. Thanks and looking forward to discussing this topic.
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
Re: 410 Reloading Nontoxic
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 04:19:43 PM »
I have the load data for bismuth that I can get for you tomorrow. We used to load #5 bismuth for decoying ducks, it worked great for us. Best day both using O/U's 4 ducks 4 shots on the same flock it was cool  :IBCOOL:
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 04:35:50 PM »
That would be great. Thanks Wadu1.
Info is limited for 410 load data and trying to find several loads for future hunting from quail/ pheasants, turkey, waterfowl.
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline TooTallMike

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 04:38:46 PM »
I'm in the same boat as you! If anyone can get us on the right track it's wadu1. However based on all the Googles I've done it seems that the only was to use for steel or nontoxic shot is one made by BPI TPS wad. However it's all out of stock with no date in sight for restock. I took apart a shell of commercial loaded steel shot #6 by winchester and examined the was to see if I could find the maker or something like that but no luck.

Ill tag along here to get the same info as you and pass any along I can.

Offline BTStewart

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2020, 04:45:10 PM »
Unlike steel/hevi shot you don't need to use special wads for Bismuth as it pretty much as soft as lead. Hodgdon has several recipes on their website for 5/8 ounce Bismuth using either Lil Gun or H110. Availalbe for 3" Federal, Remington, and Winchester hulls.

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/shotgun

Best place to get Bismuth online is Roto-Metals, it's very high quality stuff:

https://www.rotometals.com/bismuth-shot/

I use the #7 for quail hunting where non-tox is required and it works great.

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 04:49:54 PM »
Unlike steel/hevi shot you don't need to use special wads for Bismuth as it pretty much as soft as lead. Hodgdon has several recipes on their website for 5/8 ounce Bismuth using either Lil Gun or H110. Availalbe for 3" Federal, Remington, and Winchester hulls.

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/shotgun

Best place to get Bismuth online is Roto-Metals, it's very high quality stuff:

https://www.rotometals.com/bismuth-shot/

I use the #7 for quail hunting where non-tox is required and it works great.

As BTStewart said with bismuth a lead wad works great, with 3" I prefer H110 powder.  :twocents:

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 05:45:42 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. Bismuth does appear to be the easiest to work with for non toxic loads. And you guys did answer a very important question I had which was concern about wad usage. This info is great.
When looking into other non toxic shot such as steel I did notice that the TPS wad is what you want but saw the same thing about everyone being out of stock.
There are huge advantages in reloading 410 for nontoxic loads once set up and having the info and components to reload. Can't wait to get started doing so. And I want to keep this thread alive and I'll post results after I get things going as well.

Offline TooTallMike

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2020, 10:31:52 PM »
Here's the wad from a 3" winchester steel shot. Has 3 slits instead of what appears to be 4 on the BPI TPS wad.

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2020, 08:28:36 AM »

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2020, 08:37:14 AM »
That's good to know information for bismuth shot. I was wondering if the 2.5 inch wads would work in 3 inch shells. As far as any steel loads or tss goes I will be patient until I see the TPS wads from ballistic products. But with bismuth or if I play with some lead loads this will get me started.  :tup:

I'm thinking overshot cards might be a good thing to use in some scenarios with the 410 as well so might order some of those too.

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2021, 08:40:15 PM »
Just a little update on things. Still waiting for the press to arrive. But I now have a good stock of some supplies to start out. I've been lucky to find a few components online as well as having member Wadu1 walk me through some things on loading 410 as well as setting me up with some stuff. Huge shout out to Wadu1 for taking the time to help me out. Greatly appreciated. Great guy. Thanks again man. Can't wait to load up some bismuth loads. That's where I'll be starting out with reloading for this little gun.
As far as another aspect of the 410 I can now say that the #9 shot TSS is lethal on geese as well. In the future I will start loading tss when I can come across the TPS wads to use with it. I love the capability of that shot. Very impressive. And will be using the BBQ tomorrow with bacon wrapped goose.

Offline TooTallMike

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2021, 10:55:17 PM »
Just a little update on things. Still waiting for the press to arrive. But I now have a good stock of some supplies to start out. I've been lucky to find a few components online as well as having member Wadu1 walk me through some things on loading 410 as well as setting me up with some stuff. Huge shout out to Wadu1 for taking the time to help me out. Greatly appreciated. Great guy. Thanks again man. Can't wait to load up some bismuth loads. That's where I'll be starting out with reloading for this little gun.
As far as another aspect of the 410 I can now say that the #9 shot TSS is lethal on geese as well. In the future I will start loading tss when I can come across the TPS wads to use with it. I love the capability of that shot. Very impressive. And will be using the BBQ tomorrow with bacon wrapped goose.

Awesome! I too am waiting for the TPS wads to become available. I'm also trying to figure out how to make a slug mold so that I can just roll my own.
Keep the info coming and thanks for the update!

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2021, 08:12:07 PM »
The press has arrived. Got it set up and worked with multiple loads and components. All went pretty well but a few notes I took away from my first loads. Loaded up bismuth #4s and bismuth #6s. As well as lead #6.
1. Factory hulls that have been once shot I believe to be high pressure from the factory with small splits in the hull where original crimp was. Some were cleaner than others. The ones used with cracking do not get a good looking crimp. Although after firing straightened out great and saw no effect on patterning. But I like my stuff looking perfect. The hulls in better condition looked great with crimping.
#2. When running the #6 bismuth I was able to run a full 5/8 load. But when loading #4s it had to be settled alot before giving room to crimp. Which in my opinion I need to subtract a few BBs from the load to give less pressure. When running the full load of #4s with a claybuster wad I ran into an issue with the bismuth packing into the base of the wad and not releasing. The few BBs compressed together as the load broke free. See picture. I will reduce load compacity and try again. Although full load of #6s with federal 410sc wads I had great results with load separating and no issues.
3. Some times I saw a little powder residue around the 209 primer but primers looked good after firing and saw no effect of any other ill result. Any thoughts? Used hogdon 110 and lil gun powder.
Overal most test loads I saw very promising results. Tested patterns vs factory loads. Factory was a touch tighter but was satisfied with my results. I will try to post pics on patterns when I can. Tested most shots at 25 to 27 yards, which I think is perfect with this gun. And took a shot at 30 with decent a decent pattern.

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2021, 01:44:43 PM »
With the #6 bismuth loading well and having good patterns i got to test on some ducks. 25 to 30 yards. 3 ducks 3 shots stone dead. And as far as the gun goes for the season it's 19 for 20 on ducks with birds 30 yards or less. 1 wiff on a mallard because I got excited.  :chuckle:. Also smoked a goose as well.. Pretty happy with the performance so far. Gonna hopefully hit a gun show soon and I'll see what I can find component wise. In need of hulls, the bulk 10lb bags of steel shot, and tps wads. As well as if I find the wads I'll start going with TSS as well. Having fun with the new loader. Although I'm using the rcbs digital scale for powder and shot weight measurements right now. Its working out well. I'll try and start taking more pictures of everything soon. Next trip to the range I have 11/16 oz loads of lead for clays. Should be fun.

Offline BTStewart

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2021, 07:46:14 PM »
Ballistic Products finally has more of the .410 TPS wad in stock. Get 'em while you can.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/TPS-410-bore-non-toxic-wad-preslit/productinfo/3224100/

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal