collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Truck stolen twice in one week  (Read 14628 times)

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Truck stolen twice in one week
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2020, 12:14:26 PM »
True, but if you sat around the corner and waited for them to leave the house, wouldn't it be hard for them to say they had no idea a truck they didn't own was in the driveway?  Or, wait for it to move again?

Seems like something could have been done.  If someone is getting into a newer truck and starting it without the owner's keys, it sure doesn't sound like this was their first or last time at it and well worth the effort of getting them off the street.

Offline BIGDOG253

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Go COUGS!
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2020, 01:43:55 PM »
Well not sure how they are starting it, but I would install a fuel cut off switch, or battery cut off, and place it under the dash or center console.  Have it set to beep the horn when switched on. 
As mentioned above install a fuel pump cutoff switch, until then just pull the fuel pump relay when parked at your house.
Also get 2 of these, one obviously for the driveway and the other put in the truck when parked at your house, then you will know when they are there.
https://www.harborfreight.com/wireless-driveway-alert-system-93068.html

I like these ideas, I will look into this! Thank you  :tup:

Since you said "Chevy"  Watch this,

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=how+does+onstar+unlock+my+car&docid=608014172528838434&mid=1EED146209D1A17218F21EED146209D1A17218F2&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Could be how it's happening

Yeah I saw this the other day and a few people mentioned this may be how they are getting in. Onstar is also how I was able to locate the truck from my phone.

Sux they keep targeting you..you might consider getting a new key fob programmed for your truck. They may have used your Vin to order replacement fob's.

As for the lack of arrest. Not uncommon. Pretty easy for a property owner to claim ignorance. If it just "showed up" in the middle of the night. Unless someone saw who took it, who was driving it, or someone was in it when recovered arrests for abandoned stolens are uncommon. Something about the courts and jury's wanting proof.

And just because an arrest wasn't made doesn't mean something isn't in the works. Does no good to assume Leo in the area are being lazy.

Possession of stolen property is a crime.  Wait a 1/2 day so they can't claim they didn't know it was there, make the arrest and then get fingerprints they could match to the interior and exterior of the truck.  Even if they get off, it sends a message and gives the police their fingerprints.

I know nothing about law enforcement, but it seems like they could at least have given the guy some more information about what was going on, especially if they were doing something.  I know I called the cops in my town probably twice in the 12 years I have been here and both times they called back and let me know what happened and why and that was for far less than getting a truck stolen once, let alone twice.

Not to de rail the thread to much but having a stolen item in your property doesn't always meet the criteria for possession of stolen property. If someone ditches a stolen car in your driveway or throws a stolen gun in your front yard should you, the property owner go to jail, or is it possible that the investigation would prove you most likey lacked the knowledge of said item therefore probable cause would not exist for your arrest...

And I may know a thing or two about LE... :chuckle:

Any..back on topic...

The op could put a manikin in a sleeping bag reclined in the front seat...that would get a rise out of em if they came back .

Im looking into getting new keys/locks and reprogramming the key fob, gonna be expensive though, insurance should cover this.

fishngamereaper is correct, as LEO explained to me, just because it was on their property doesn't mean they were the ones who took it. They could only make an arrest if they were physically driving the vehicle. LEO did surveillance on the truck while it was on the property hoping someone would come back to the truck but no one came out.

Offline 10thmountainarcher

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2020, 02:35:56 PM »
Bigdog, what city is this occurring in?

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2020, 03:30:54 PM »
As mentioned above install a fuel pump cutoff switch

Do not install a fuel cutoff, install a starter kill.

Fuel cutoffs can leave you with a dead car while driving down the highway, resulting in loss off power, steering and braking. The worse case with a starter kill is the starter won’t crank, no potential to kill anyone. :twocents:

The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline millerwheeler

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2020, 04:06:01 PM »
First off what mode is your truck not all new vehicles have a chipped key as an FYI , second was ignition column broken? If not usually a blank key  with a lot of shaking and wiggling can unlock any ignition.

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2021, 05:20:50 PM »
I would do a fuse box kill switch. Not a big deal if you mess it up or later want to swap in a regular fuse.

Put gun and hunting stickers on the vehicle.

Get a security cam or at least a fake one.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2021, 05:38:00 PM »
Hidden Driveway alert monitor in the truck

Ding Dong your truck is gone

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2021, 05:43:20 PM »

Fuel cutoffs can leave you with a dead car while driving down the highway, resulting in loss off power, steering and braking. The worse case with a starter kill is the starter won’t crank, no potential to kill anyone. :twocents:
This is hilarious as most modern (20+ years of vehicles) have 3+ fuel pump failure points already on them, you have a greater chance of catching covid 19 and dying from it then the above scenario  :rolleyes:
A properly installed fuel pump disconnect is not a problem, in fact it will allow the vehicle to start briefly then shut off which may alert you or the dog and will make the thief bail  :twocents:

There are so many other reasons your car may lose power and die while driving resulting in the above scenario, but hey do you 

If you are  scared of your vehicle shutting off while driving and you will lose control then please stay out of vehicles and off the road  :DOH:
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Legend
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2021, 11:31:54 PM »

This is hilarious as most modern (20+ years of vehicles) have 3+ fuel pump failure points already on them, you have a greater chance of catching covid 19 and dying from it then the above scenario  :rolleyes:
A properly installed fuel pump disconnect is not a problem, in fact it will allow the vehicle to start briefly then shut off which may alert you or the dog and will make the thief bail  :twocents:

There are so many other reasons your car may lose power and die while driving resulting in the above scenario, but hey do you 

If you are  scared of your vehicle shutting off while driving and you will lose control then please stay out of vehicles and off the road  :DOH:

Try to have any business in the industry install a “fuel kill“ security system in your vehicle, then get back to us on which one will do it.

Go ahead, I’ll wait for your documented reply! :tup:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2021, 05:25:53 AM »
Sounds like with the frequency of the occurrences it calls for a few nights of missed sleep sitting up with a ailing shotgun that keeps projectile (00 buck) vomiting when your truck is tampered with
Then the potential thieves can assume a spread eagle position in the dirt, regardless of weather, until police arrive.with their attempted theft recorded on camera open and closed..This takes the thief out of circulation instead of having them on the street to steal another day.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 05:36:29 AM by Jingles »
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2021, 06:39:44 AM »
The problem is they are back at it before you can replace the 00

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2021, 07:26:30 AM »
Oh I don't know  only takes 1 round for the perps to crap their pants and yes I guess there are folks that have had their heads buried in the sand for the past year and don't have ammo laid in. Guess my training about PPPP has paid good dividends at present
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2021, 08:03:39 AM »
A fuel cutoff switch would throw constant check engine lights

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline Cougartail

• Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2021, 08:28:41 AM »
Oh I don't know  only takes 1 round for the perps to crap their pants

Depends on where you hit them. :chuckle:
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2021, 08:39:21 AM »

Try to have any business in the industry install a “fuel kill“ security system in your vehicle, then get back to us on which one will do it.

Go ahead, I’ll wait for your documented reply! :tup:
Never said to have a shop do it, some people can do things themselves
I know in the past and im sure they still do but Viper aftermarket security systems did disable fuel systems and most likely Clifford alarms do also. Car toys sells and installs them.  :dunno:
Some factory alarm systems when activated or do not recognize a key kill the fuel system.
So there is already potential for a fuel system to shut down due to an equipment failure already installed in vehicles.....
Ever had an inertia switch in a Ford fail? I have had Fords where the switch is in the trunk and has been tripped while driving due to an item in the trunk sliding around and smacking the side, Which shuts off the fuel pump.
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal