collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Truck stolen twice in one week  (Read 14623 times)

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
Re: Truck stolen twice in one week
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2021, 08:42:13 AM »
A fuel cutoff switch would throw constant check engine lights

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
No it wont, wired in to cut the relay and the engine will just crank but not start (other than the initial time while the existing pressure lets it, for a few seconds)
It would just be a crank/no start condition with all the PCM inputs still present, no different than a failed fuel pump

To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2021, 08:43:42 AM »
Just pull the negative battery terminal.
Put a board with nails right where you stand  at the battery.
Sounds like they need a whack to the knee with a shovel,then you tell em as they run off ,if they come back you'll bury them with that shovel.
I've never been quick to use a gun ,but there is always different way to skin a cat.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2021, 09:10:04 AM »
A fuel cutoff switch would throw constant check engine lights

No it wont, wired in to cut the relay and the engine will just crank but not start (other than the initial time while the existing pressure lets it, for a few seconds)
It would just be a crank/no start condition with all the PCM inputs still present, no different than a failed fuel pump
Well heck, no brainer then.

A driveway alert monitor would chime in your house soon as they opened up the door, with the fuel system cut you'd have time to get out there and

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2021, 09:30:16 AM »
I don't think I would be disconnecting the battery every time. Unless you want to reset radios,etc.. If you can pull the coil wire and keep it with you. They are sneaky little Bast@#ds
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2021, 12:00:25 PM »
As mentioned above install a fuel pump cutoff switch

Do not install a fuel cutoff, install a starter kill.

Fuel cutoffs can leave you with a dead car while driving down the highway, resulting in loss off power, steering and braking. The worse case with a starter kill is the starter won’t crank, no potential to kill anyone. :twocents:
This is hilarious as most modern (20+ years of vehicles) have 3+ fuel pump failure points already on them, you have a greater chance of catching covid 19 and dying from it then the above scenario  :rolleyes:
A properly installed fuel pump disconnect is not a problem, in fact it will allow the vehicle to start briefly then shut off which may alert you or the dog and will make the thief bail  :twocents:

There are so many other reasons your car may lose power and die while driving resulting in the above scenario, but hey do you 

If you are  scared of your vehicle shutting off while driving and you will lose control then please stay out of vehicles and off the road  :DOH:

Try to have any business in the industry install a “fuel kill“ security system in your vehicle, then get back to us on which one will do it.

Go ahead, I’ll wait for your documented reply! :tup:
Never said to have a shop do it, some people can do things themselves
I know in the past and im sure they still do but Viper aftermarket security systems did disable fuel systems and most likely Clifford alarms do also. Car toys sells and installs them.  :dunno:
Some factory alarm systems when activated or do not recognize a key kill the fuel system.
So there is already potential for a fuel system to shut down due to an equipment failure already installed in vehicles.....
Ever had an inertia switch in a Ford fail? I have had Fords where the switch is in the trunk and has been tripped while driving due to an item in the trunk sliding around and smacking the side, Which shuts off the fuel pump.

With all due respect Buckmark, you have been misinformed. Car Toys and other companies will never install a security system that disables a fuel system, nor does Clifford (who owns DEI, makers of Viper) recommend or condone fuel system cut offs. I happen to know his for a fact, Dan is friend and coworker from before April Fools Day 1987. ;)

Here is a Viper install manual clip, discussing the “starter kill”. You will notice it clearly shows the “starter” wire being cut and hooked up with a relay, not the “ignition” wire or “fuel pump” wire. No business owner is going to risk their company with those other type of cut offs! :twocents:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 12:08:26 PM by huntnphool »
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Buckmark

• Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2021, 01:06:05 PM »

Fuel cutoffs can leave you with a dead car while driving down the highway, resulting in loss off power, steering and braking. The worse case with a starter kill is the starter won’t crank, no potential to kill anyone. :twocents:
This is hilarious as most modern (20+ years of vehicles) have 3+ fuel pump failure points already on them, you have a greater chance of catching covid 19 and dying from it then the above scenario  :rolleyes:
A properly installed fuel pump disconnect is not a problem, in fact it will allow the vehicle to start briefly then shut off which may alert you or the dog and will make the thief bail  :twocents:

There are so many other reasons your car may lose power and die while driving resulting in the above scenario, but hey do you 

If you are  scared of your vehicle shutting off while driving and you will lose control then please stay out of vehicles and off the road  :DOH:

Try to have any business in the industry install a “fuel kill“ security system in your vehicle, then get back to us on which one will do it.

I know in the past and im sure they still do but Viper aftermarket security systems did disable fuel systems and most likely Clifford alarms do also. Car toys sells and installs them.  :dunno:
Some factory alarm systems when activated or do not recognize a key kill the fuel system.
So there is already potential for a fuel system to shut down due to an equipment failure already installed in vehicles.....
Ever had an inertia switch in a Ford fail? I have had Fords where the switch is in the trunk and has been tripped while driving due to an item in the trunk sliding around and smacking the side, Which shuts off the fuel pump.

With all due respect Buckmark, you have been misinformed. Car Toys and other companies will never install a security system that disables a fuel system, nor does Clifford (who owns DEI, makers of Viper) recommend or condone fuel system cut offs. I happen to know his for a fact, Dan is friend and coworker from before April Fools Day 1987. ;)

Here is a Viper install manual clip, discussing the “starter kill”. You will notice it clearly shows the “starter” wire being cut and hooked up with a relay, not the “ignition” wire or “fuel pump” wire. No business owner is going to risk their company with those other type of cut offs! :twocents:
With all due respect Huntnphool, Clifford back in the day (awhile ago  :chuckle:) had an optional wireless immobilizer kit for some of their systems, which disabled the fuel pump circuit..
Maybe not anymore, but i wonder if they ever installed one of those? You apparently can ask. Clifford part #905210 wireless Immobilizer
From the installation instructions: (only the good parts)
Wireless Immobilizer
The Wireless Immobilizer can be installed anywhere in the vehicle where there is a 12V line that will shut down the engine when
cut.
1. Find a positive ignition wire or positive fuel pump wire.
5. Connect the BLACK wire labeled Ignition Fuel Input +12V to the key side of the cut line.
6. Connect the BLACK wire labeled Ignition Fuel Output +12V to the engine side of the cut line.

So lets agree to disagree, i am sure they no longer interrupt fuel systems, but they did

Good luck to the OP whatever he chooses to do
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2021, 10:22:48 AM »
They could probably install a remote starter disable as part of your keyfob unlock.

They won't mess with the fuel line.

If your vehicle is getting hacked through onstar they could probably disable that and just add a standard alarm.

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2021, 10:47:49 AM »
can you get the entire system "re-key'd" what ever that takes with complete different fobs/ door locks/ electronic codes? file with insurance if you can do this,  if they say know, just make sure and add theft to your insurance and let them have it and get another truck!
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2021, 11:04:17 AM »

With all due respect Huntnphool, Clifford back in the day (awhile ago  :chuckle:) had an optional wireless immobilizer kit for some of their systems, which disabled the fuel pump circuit..
Maybe not anymore, but i wonder if they ever installed one of those? You apparently can ask. Clifford part #905210 wireless Immobilizer
Wireless Immobilizer
The Wireless Immobilizer can be installed anywhere in the vehicle where there is a 12V line that will shut down the engine when
cut.
5. Connect the BLACK wire labeled Ignition Fuel Input +12V to the key side of the cut line.
6. Connect the BLACK wire labeled Ignition Fuel Output +12V to the engine side of the cut line.

So lets agree to disagree, i am sure they no longer interrupt fuel systems, but they did

They may have tried it at one point, until the lawsuits came pooring in from those that armed while driving. That doesn’t mean it’s an option today. And doing a home job would make me nervous It could void a warranty.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline Norman89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Proud holder of 110 Zardos points!
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2021, 11:01:48 AM »
Those chevys are wicked easy to steal if they know the trick. Worked in a junk yard, you find every way possible to start an engine without keys to verify if it can be pulled and sold to insurance company's. My personal advice would be wire the horn to the starter. Every time starter is engaged, horn goes off. Fool proof and will scare the crap out of anybody in a heart beat. Neighbors and wife at 5am when I leave for work as well

Offline Buckmark

• Old Salt
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2021, 12:00:37 PM »

Wireless Immobilizer
cut.

They may have tried it at one point, until the lawsuits came pooring in from those that armed while driving. That doesn’t mean it’s an option today. And doing a home job would make me nervous It could void a warranty.
Agree 100%
I was unaware that it was no longer part of systems or unavailable anymore and appreciate phool pointing that out, i was though pointing out how it was available in the past from companies and installed by installers as i was told it never ever was, that was all.
I can see where it could be a huge liability for a shop and a starter disconnect is the way for them to go, at home guys do a myriad of things ive seen through the years.
Lots of manufactures disable fuel systems as part of the security systems, but that is OEM so less liability i would imagine.
I like the starter to the horn trick  :tup: :chuckle:

Offline snit

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Hunter
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2021, 06:13:19 AM »
Remove tire(s)? LOL

After reading the entire thread, I just have to add my sympathies to the OP! Not much worse than a THIEF, I think we can all agree on that. We work hard to accumulate our assets, regardless of our socioeconomic status, and to then be subjected to repeated acts of thievery is downright despicable! Reading this experience(s) reinforces how fortunate I am to live where I do, but it also makes me examine my laissez-faire attitude towards the overall security of my outfit. I need to be more diligent before I become a statistic. I wish you the best in your future security!

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal