collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Rookie crabbing move  (Read 4961 times)

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
Re: Rookie crabbing move
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2020, 07:44:43 AM »
Hats off to you Angry Perch for doing the right things.

I’m close by and am also a water dog so if ya need a mate to go out in the rough and pull them I would be glad to help.

All the best.
Andy.

Thanks Mech. Appreciate the offer.
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2020, 08:59:43 AM »
You've already gotten plenty of positive feedback, but I'll also chime in to say you made the right call.  Always got to be ready to throw in the towel on big water.  Sometimes it's tough to make that decision because you can always go a little further, and you don't realize you're in a bad spot until you're in a really bad spot.

Leaving out crab pots too long or losing them isn't ideal, but if you die trying to retrieve them...you still lose the crab pots.  And then you're dead, too, which is also not ideal. 

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2021, 11:27:46 AM »
Do you think that they will have a south sound 2021 season this year?

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2021, 01:19:28 PM »
I really doubt it.

Offline Igottanewknee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2021, 03:45:13 PM »
You've already gotten plenty of positive feedback, but I'll also chime in to say you made the right call.  Always got to be ready to throw in the towel on big water.  Sometimes it's tough to make that decision because you can always go a little further, and you don't realize you're in a bad spot until you're in a really bad spot.

Leaving out crab pots too long or losing them isn't ideal, but if you die trying to retrieve them...you still lose the crab pots.  And then you're dead, too, which is also not ideal.
:yeah:
A guy I worked with doing sheetmetal 25 or 30 years ago told me he lost 2 or 3 of his brothers in the sound by Everett or Seattle. Little boat, rough waters and then the boat capsized. I believe 2 drowned and one maybe made it to shore. Don't remember the details.
Also lost 2 schoolmates on the same weekend in different mishaps with rivers and small boats.

Offline Fidelk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, JCSA
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2021, 10:26:59 AM »
I went out on a bottomfish/crab charter out of Bodega Bay, CA a few decades back in a 35 foot boat. Only boat that went out. The bottom fishing part was dropped due to conditions, so we just went and pulled pots and got nice limits of large crabs. As we motored along the string, we skipped some pots because the floats were snorkeling under the surface. On the way back in, we got slammed with a wave that almost rolled the boat. I was on the port side and a guy dropped straight down on top of me from the starboard.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal