collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: "High End" dog kennel / crates  (Read 2878 times)

Offline CSherwood

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Pilgrim
"High End" dog kennel / crates
« on: December 22, 2020, 11:12:28 AM »
I have a new pup on the way and was shopping for her kennel/crate.  I don't remember these high-end rotomolded ones the last time I had to buy.

Is there any need to fork out the dough for these at about $200 (or higher priced ones) or does the ol' garden variety suffice?

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: "High End" dog kennel / crates
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 11:28:27 AM »
I've never understood what advantage they have over the cheap ones other than a bigger theft target.  I will say I'm on the west side so it doesn't get 20 below which may justify additional heft.

I bought a cheap 2 piece on on Amazon 4 years ago and add a cheap insulated cover in the winter.  Zero problems, dog goes in, dog comes out.

Offline MR5x5

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 11:31:11 AM »
Oh hell no.  $40 for a used crate.  Another $100 for Mud River cover if that is your thing.

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 11:31:21 AM »
IMO they are no doubt cool looking. And I am sure they are stronger. But I would have a really hard time buying one over just a regular vari-kennel or whatever.

I am sure they are worth it to some- but for me, I can think of no reason I would need a "technical" kennel. My kennel sits in the back of the truck with a cover on it. I do not pack it in to places, I do not use it for anything other than traveling over the pass with my dog in it.  :twocents:
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 11:54:34 AM »
Will you be using just in the house or using to take her place in your vehicle like hunting.  Only reason to buy a high end one woudl be the latter.  Some off them are build to better protect he dog if you have an accident.

Other wise just pickup a used crate from offerup/craigslist/facebook/here.

Offline CSherwood

• Pilgrim
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2020, 12:38:29 PM »
That's where I'm at too.  My other dog has been fine in the $40 Pet Porter for years.  Then I saw these and was shocked by the price tag.  There are others in the $400 range too.  They are definitely sturdy looking and I have no doubt would be more crash resistant.

I will be putting the dog in the crate for trips to the pheasant grounds on the east side as well as using it in the house.

Offline tank21

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2020, 12:48:57 PM »
I have the cheaper ones and have zero issues with them...they work great .  Trolled craigslist, nextdoor app, etc. and bought two of them for $50 each and were basically brand new.  I've entered sweepstakes and raffles to win one but that is as far as it goes.  Only thing I can figure for needing the fancy ones would be if you guided or simply used the heck out of it and could justify that way.  Or if you have the bucks to get it.  My vote is to save the money and buy birds with the left over $$

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2020, 01:15:17 PM »
One of those next to a thousand dollar cooler would look pretty sweet :chuckle:
Go hawks

Offline CSherwood

• Pilgrim
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2020, 01:48:50 PM »
One of those next to a thousand dollar cooler would look pretty sweet :chuckle:

:chuckle: like Stein said above - good theft target!

Offline JBG

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2020, 02:00:33 PM »
I'm a sucker and bought the $400 one.  Ya never know when some idiot is going to crash into you.  The real nice thing about mine is that the door locks so I feel a little more confident with the dog in there when I go into a store.  I also take the dog on work trips and hunt around appointments so its nice to know she's locked in.  I do have a bike chain attached to it for security.  I've spent enough money on the dog already whats another $400 for something that will outlast the next 4-5 dogs. 

Offline Backstrap

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2020, 02:10:26 PM »
I have the ruff tuff and really like it. It’s stronger and better built than the cheapies, but other distinguishing features are;

- you can get them with multiple doors, front, rear, sides,
- they come with threaded insert molded in the top, so can be stacked easily,
- lots of accessories available to compliment them.

Are they essential? No. Are they a waste of money? Not in my book.

I'm a sucker and bought the $400 one.  Ya never know when some idiot is going to crash into you.  The real nice thing about mine is that the door locks so I feel a little more confident with the dog in there when I go into a store.  I also take the dog on work trips and hunt around appointments so its nice to know she's locked in.  I do have a bike chain attached to it for security.  I've spent enough money on the dog already whats another $400 for something that will outlast the next 4-5 dogs. 
Step once, look twice...

Offline 10mmg

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2020, 02:16:27 PM »
I think the main advantage the “cheap” boxes have over this one is the fact they come apart. Maybe I am bad at hunting with my dog but I have never had a dog come out of the field clean. Consequently I DONT want to have to climb into a single piece box to scrub out what ever chemical compound the dog has created inside that crate. I like the thicker plastic of the expensive one for really cold environments as the others crack just by looking at them. If they made a 2 piece one I would be in.

Offline CSherwood

• Pilgrim
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2020, 02:38:42 PM »
I think the main advantage the “cheap” boxes have over this one is the fact they come apart. Maybe I am bad at hunting with my dog but I have never had a dog come out of the field clean. Consequently I DONT want to have to climb into a single piece box to scrub out what ever chemical compound the dog has created inside that crate. I like the thicker plastic of the expensive one for really cold environments as the others crack just by looking at them. If they made a 2 piece one I would be in.

That is a valid point.  I've had a dog get car sick from a real windy road and there was a mess all over the place inside the crate. I was glad it came apart so I could hit it with the hose more thoroughly.

It's funny how I don't feel bad spending $ on other high-end items, but I'm not quite there on the dog crate.  I do like how the doors open from either side.

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2020, 02:59:57 PM »
It depends on how you’re going to use it. If it’s just riding in the back of your pickup or suv, the pet porter types are fine and will last you a long time.  I’ve had mine for at least 10 years & just broke it last week trying to get the stuck halves together while they were frozen. They’re popular here because a lot of people use hem on the back of their atv. Come spring & I need a replacement, I’ll go the ruff-tuff route for that reason.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2020, 02:38:17 PM »
We have two of the cheaper versions. One large, inside the house where she sleeps and a medium one outside for when we leave her outside. They work perfectly well.  Both were craigslist pics $50 each.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101