collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mink???  (Read 2157 times)

Offline ibuyre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, SAF
Mink???
« on: January 01, 2021, 01:30:13 PM »
This is my first time trying to post a photo. So hope it works. Don't mind the date on the photo it's wrong. So I put up some pre bates and this showed up in the photos... I have never seen a mink before and just wanted to make sure it's a mink and not a marten or Fisher. I am a little surprised at how big it looks in the picture. I did think mink where this big.

Offline ibuyre

• Hunter
Re: Mink???
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 01:44:34 PM »
another photo

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 03:31:37 PM »
Yep

Offline ibuyre

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 03:40:12 PM »
Thank you. I was just surprised how big it looks next to the beaver. I have never seen one before. :) Can't wait to get a trap out for him... It's him and a small grinner that have been going at that beaver. So going to sent a couple of traps. hmmm Koro attempt. I have another beaver up and it's got a bob cat hitting it. :). I am excited. Thanks guys.

Offline JakeLand

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 03:48:12 PM »
Set a couple koro traps catch the grinner and the mink And toss that grinner  in the River

Offline Bullytrout

• Tracker
  • Groups: Cca
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 05:41:05 PM »
If it were me I would set a cage for him.  There’s too many raptors in that type of environment and I have had every mink in my koros eaten by birds.  Once you catch him keep running the trap as the smell of the first mink will bring in more.  When I get a big one like that usually the catches afterwards all end up being large males but that said my experience with this is a little further into the spring.

Offline redi

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 07:13:33 PM »
Congrats on the mink photos and welcome to trapping. If the mink won’t go in a cage after beaver meat then try some muskrat meat. Good luck

Offline ibuyre

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 08:24:37 PM »
On using a cage trap for a mink. I have a few cheap cage traps but they are a small mesh wire and pan type trap. I have a few of Bruce's traps and LOVE them. I am thinking I don't want to use one of Bruce's traps for a mink, his are 2" sq so that a spotted stinker can get out. lol so far I have just been just using his because I don't want to get a stinker in a cage. BUT I am guessing a mink can get out of one of his traps though that 2" mesh. Is that the case? Should I use a harbor fraught or tractor supply type pan cage, for a mink? If I do that, I am thinking a stinker in a cage is in my future (knowing my luck). I am thinking of setting the cheap store traps for the mink and griner and putting Bruce's out where I have photos of bobcats, and beaver/otter sets. Fingers crossed I don't have a stinker in the cage. Didn't get one on cam... sooo hmmm Thanks guys. Still new at this. It would be my first of any of these mink, griner, bobcat.... stinker....

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2021, 10:02:41 PM »
Mink can get through an 1 1/4" hole. Civets I assume about the same. I have seen them in 1x2 and they can get their head but not their shoulders through.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline ibuyre

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2021, 11:37:11 PM »
Wow THANK you Bruce. I didn't know they could get though that small of a hole. Dam... have to check the traps when I set for them. You just saved me some trouble and confusion. Thanks :)

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2021, 11:18:52 AM »
Big mink probably need a little bigger hole but I have seen a measured 1 1/4 hole with mink fur on it.
Bruce Vandervort

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal