collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Scopes for 2021 WA Muzzleloader season?  (Read 117940 times)

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Scopes for 2021 WA Muzzleloader season?
« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2021, 08:41:30 PM »
"Hey Dad , what was it like to hunt branched bulls every year in Washington?"

:chuckle:

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2021, 08:49:58 PM »
I do hope if they do allow scopes they just allow all scopes ,it just makes it harder for enforcement if they just allow 1x .
Over the course of a few years most guys will just throw any old scope on there anyway.Besides we will have the same discussion 3 years from now ,so go big or go home I say.
Just give muzzleloader what they want and be done with it.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline millerwheeler

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
« Reply #92 on: January 02, 2021, 08:53:12 PM »
I do hope if they do allow scopes they just allow all scopes ,it just makes it harder for enforcement if they just allow 1x .
Over the course of a few years most guys will just throw any old scope on there anyway.Besides we will have the same discussion 3 years from now ,so go big or go home I say.
Just give muzzleloader what they want and be done with it.

Doesn’t look like a lot of us want it , so what ya were trying to say is give the guys who are about finished there scopes

Offline Wizekrakr

• Tracker
    • Don Davis
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #93 on: January 02, 2021, 09:12:38 PM »
Why not just allow rifles?

You know cause they claim there eye sight ,  the range ,and blah blah blah that’s exactly what they want without coming out and saying it .

I really dislike the idea of ones eyesight as the reasoning for allowing scopes. Tjere comes a time that we all eventually wont be able to do the things we love, and thats part of it.

Heck i am not very old and my eyes have a tough time with open and peep sights. So i drastically reduce my effective range. For me personally, a muzzy is a sub 100 yard thing. But give me a 1x scope and i could stretch that much, much farther. I am very against any scopes on muzzys.

The reality!! Amen.  I agree, I can't see my damn sights anymore and I am just too stubborn to give up my love of muzzle loader hunting.  I have 2 1x scopes in my shop that I could put on my rifles and keep going a couple more years.

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #94 on: January 02, 2021, 09:30:17 PM »
I will play Satan's Defender on this one. 

As far as I understand it, a fixed 1x riflescope adds no advantage over iron sights, in that there is no magnification (by definition).  Sure, almost all of us are now accustomed to reticles on riflescopes, and that would make it easier to fix on a target.  But isn't this the same argument against fibre optic sights??

The F&W Commission did a good thing a few years ago when they allowed the use of lighted nocks for archery.  I see this issue as an extension of that same line of thinking--the proposed equipment adds no explicit advantage, and, therefore, there is no reason to oppose it.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2021, 09:34:32 PM »
That would be a fun fly on the wall moment. "But officer, can't you see I JB welded the power ring in the 1x position?"

Sure why not? Shotguns are capable of holding 5 shells but we put a stick in the tube to reduce it to 3. I don’t see any practical difference.

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2021, 09:42:39 PM »
I will play Satan's Defender on this one. 

As far as I understand it, a fixed 1x riflescope adds no advantage over iron sights, in that there is no magnification (by definition).  Sure, almost all of us are now accustomed to reticles on riflescopes, and that would make it easier to fix on a target.  But isn't this the same argument against fibre optic sights??

The F&W Commission did a good thing a few years ago when they allowed the use of lighted nocks for archery.  I see this issue as an extension of that same line of thinking--the proposed equipment adds no explicit advantage, and, therefore, there is no reason to oppose it.

But the 1x scope does create a massive advantage. A range advantage. Of course so do peep sights and front cross hairs. But to a lesser degree.

Lighted knocks  do not aid in killing an animal. It only aids in the recovery of an animal after the deed is done. Thus probably resulting in LESS killed animals. A scope on a muzzy would increase the lethality of muzzy hunting. Maybe more wounded game due to longer shots being taken? They still won’t bleed and will get lost.

Offline emac

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2021, 09:44:46 PM »
For all you that wanna put a scope on a muzzy and hunt I am pretty sure you can do it during modern deer and elk season, spring bear, fall bear and cougar season.  So if you wanna use a muzzy with scope just do it during one of those seasons.  Leave muzzy the way it is.  I wish they wouldn't have went to 209 either.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 09:55:27 PM by emac »

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #98 on: January 02, 2021, 10:01:57 PM »
That would be a fun fly on the wall moment. "But officer, can't you see I JB welded the power ring in the 1x position?"

Sure why not? Shotguns are capable of holding 5 shells but we put a stick in the tube to reduce it to 3. I don’t see any practical difference.

Exactly my redneck thoughts!! Heck I would tack weld it if it wouldn’t melt the tube lol if she don’t turn then it should be good to go.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #99 on: January 02, 2021, 10:27:00 PM »
Have I mentioned that I hope it passes?
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Bunny Thumper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2021, 08:33:19 AM »
Keep primitive seasons primitive! We’ve already allowed to much technology in our primitive seasons. If you want to hunt with a scope buy a modern firearm tag. My eyes  don’t work like they used to either but I don’t expect anyone to change the rules for me and I do hunt archery and muzzle loader.
While we’re on the subject, let’s outlaw removable scope mounts on muzzle loaders during primitive seasons. There are lots of people with removable scope mounts on their muzzle loaders and a scope in their pack for when no one’s looking.

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #101 on: January 03, 2021, 09:30:07 AM »
Keep primitive seasons primitive! We’ve already allowed to much technology in our primitive seasons. If you want to hunt with a scope buy a modern firearm tag. My eyes  don’t work like they used to either but I don’t expect anyone to change the rules for me and I do hunt archery and muzzle loader.
While we’re on the subject, let’s outlaw removable scope mounts on muzzle loaders during primitive seasons. There are lots of people with removable scope mounts on their muzzle loaders and a scope in their pack for when no one’s looking.
This is just my opionion but if your talking primitive fixed power and telescoping scopes have been on muzzle loaders since the civil war.
https://riflescopescenter-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/riflescopescenter.com/history-of-rifle-scopes-and-their-use-by-sharpshooters/amp/?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a6&usqp=mq331AQHKAFQArABIA%3D%3D#amp_ct=1609694902211&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16096945125630&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Friflescopescenter.com%2Fhistory-of-rifle-scopes-and-their-use-by-sharpshooters%2F
I am pretty sure after the war they were wildly used for hunting.  Just throwing that out there.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #102 on: January 03, 2021, 10:02:12 AM »

Exactly my redneck thoughts!! Heck I would tack weld it if it wouldn’t melt the tube lol if she don’t turn then it should be good to go.

Practically, it would be a 1 power, but it's still a 3 power scope.  The shotgun rule is written to specifically allow plugs where this one is specifically written to only allow 1 power scopes.

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2021, 10:06:56 AM »
My eyes have been bad for years.  I continue to find it harder to focus with open sights.  Tremors get worse and I can't hold steady without a rest.  Stopped climbing the highest mountains and crossing the steepest and deepest canyons that I have in the past.   I'll adapt and keep hunting in WA.  Changing a few rules to be more in line with many other states, I don't have an issue with.  But I won't settle for the rocking chair and memories.
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2021, 10:15:17 AM »

Practically, it would be a 1 power, but it's still a 3 power scope.  The shotgun rule is written to specifically allow plugs where this one is specifically written to only allow 1 power scopes.
I don't see the difference.

"(2) It is unlawful to hunt game birds with a shotgun capable of holding more than three shells."
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal