collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Scopes for 2021 WA Muzzleloader season?  (Read 117912 times)

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Scopes for 2021 WA Muzzleloader season?
« Reply #180 on: January 05, 2021, 05:44:49 PM »
Oh might I also add that all you young guys ARE going to get old Too, and $h!ts gonna get fuzzy for you When you try and line up an animal someday.  ;)
There will be no animals/hunting in WA when things get fuzzy for me...

No offense but I hope your wrong  :(
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #181 on: January 05, 2021, 06:03:15 PM »
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #182 on: January 05, 2021, 06:13:14 PM »
Deja vu, all over again.

https://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,210855.0.html

Wow.  That thread went to 20 pages.  I guess this issue never got resolved on Hunt Wa!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #183 on: January 05, 2021, 06:23:55 PM »
Deja vu, all over again.

https://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,210855.0.html

Wow.  That thread went to 20 pages.  I guess this issue never got resolved on Hunt Wa!
I think theres moslty only 15 different thread topics on huntwa. Rinse and repeat!  :chuckle:

Offline Wizekrakr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
    • Don Davis
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #184 on: January 05, 2021, 06:39:11 PM »

Imagine the possibilities with a 4x scope. Lol.  :sry:
[/quote]

No doubt, if a zero magnification crosshair can turn a 100 yard short range muzzy into a 300 yard killing machine and destroy the Washington elk herd. Just imagine if we could use a 3x9 variable.  We could massacre elk at 1000 yards or more.  Facts are facts: Taking a shot at 300 yards with a muzzy (don't care what bullet and powder load you are using) is a completely unethical shot. Bullet performance at that range will not support an argument to that. And for you guys that think you can shoot sub-moa groups at 100 yards with a zero power 1x scope on a muzzle loader, sounds like a lot of BS to me.  I am sure I am going to hear stories now about somebody that takes 300+ shots or has shot a sub-moa group. Spare me. Doesn't make it an ethical shot and I will never believe that you shoot even 1 moa groups.

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #185 on: January 05, 2021, 07:50:04 PM »
I waaaaaaaaant moooooree fooorrrr meeeeeee. It should be easier for me it’s toooooo haaaaaard :cryriver:
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Online Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #186 on: January 05, 2021, 07:51:46 PM »
A proper weight muzzy bullet from a modern rifle will destroy some serious flesh and bone at 300 yards and MOA isn't required to hit vitals at 300 or even beyond.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Tenkara

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #187 on: January 05, 2021, 08:43:32 PM »
A 1x scope is not going to turn it into a sniper rifle like some are implying.

Online Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #188 on: January 05, 2021, 09:00:34 PM »
A 1x scope is not going to turn it into a sniper rifle like some are implying.

Strawman argument. Nobody is saying that.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #189 on: January 06, 2021, 07:19:53 AM »

Imagine the possibilities with a 4x scope. Lol.  :sry:

No doubt, if a zero magnification crosshair can turn a 100 yard short range muzzy into a 300 yard killing machine and destroy the Washington elk herd. Just imagine if we could use a 3x9 variable.  We could massacre elk at 1000 yards or more.  Facts are facts: Taking a shot at 300 yards with a muzzy (don't care what bullet and powder load you are using) is a completely unethical shot. Bullet performance at that range will not support an argument to that. And for you guys that think you can shoot sub-moa groups at 100 yards with a zero power 1x scope on a muzzle loader, sounds like a lot of BS to me.  I am sure I am going to hear stories now about somebody that takes 300+ shots or has shot a sub-moa group. Spare me. Doesn't make it an ethical shot and I will never believe that you shoot even 1 moa groups.
[/quote]

I would never take a 300 yard shot with my front fiber optic because I wouldn’t be able to see the animal. But if I could clearly see the animal through a scope and add a BDC reticle into the fun? Ya my short range muzzy is now a 300 yard gun. Guys are all ready shooting to 300 with success with the right open sight set ups. People will take longer shots with a scope whether it’s ethical or not.

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #190 on: January 06, 2021, 07:35:31 AM »
Anyone saying 300 is unethical with a scoped muzzy hasn't been paying attention to the advancements in muzzleloaders and components.  A 300gr bullet at 2,400fps is a freight train for a long ways out there and a lot of these factory and custome front staffers are easily capable of sub moa accuracy. You add a reticle into the game and it doubles your range. Ive put my eotec on my muzzy before for fun and its a night and day difference.  A guy can say it doesn't but if they do its glaringly obvious that they haven't shot a scoped muzzleloader or used some of the modern components that are available.

As bullblaster stated, your sights are all that is keeping these weapons "primitive". Take that away and we WILL see lost season opportunities.   If I could snap my fingers right now and go back to pre inlines, less muzzlestuffers, and some of those killer late seasons we used to have I would  :twocents:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #191 on: January 06, 2021, 08:04:09 AM »
Anyone saying 300 is unethical with a scoped muzzy hasn't been paying attention to the advancements in muzzleloaders and components.  A 300gr bullet at 2,400fps is a freight train for a long ways out there and a lot of these factory and custome front staffers are easily capable of sub moa accuracy. You add a reticle into the game and it doubles your range. Ive put my eotec on my muzzy before for fun and its a night and day difference.  A guy can say it doesn't but if they do its glaringly obvious that they haven't shot a scoped muzzleloader or used some of the modern components that are available.

As bullblaster stated, your sights are all that is keeping these weapons "primitive". Take that away and we WILL see lost season opportunities.   If I could snap my fingers right now and go back to pre inlines, less muzzlestuffers, and some of those killer late seasons we used to have I would  :twocents:

Well said.  :yeah:

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #192 on: January 06, 2021, 08:21:02 AM »
And for the record, 2 years ago id put 10 out of 10 on a milk jug at 300 yards if the wind was good. Now I'm blind as bat carrying Costco cheater glasses around in my pocket in denial of needing actual glasses. 150 yards would be my absolute max on an elk. Add in some low light and that would shrink to 100.  I absolutely do not want scopes in muzzleloading. Ill adjust my hunting practices accordingly. Its the same as the wilderness argument. Its a younger man's game to go deep into the backcountry and at some point I won't be able to do it anymore. I certainly do not want roads punched into that country so I can still hunt it for my own selfish gains.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #193 on: January 06, 2021, 09:20:57 AM »
I have no doubt that shooting a scope is easier than shooting open sights, and it's not even close.  And killing at 200 or 300 isn't the only issue.  A lot of elk and deer get missed at 100 that would die if we had scopes.  I'm personally against it for all the reasons already given.

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #194 on: January 06, 2021, 09:22:49 AM »

I think you are exactly right.  Muzzleloading is no longer primitive or short range.  If going muzzy is no longer a handicap, they should do away with the third bracket and put all of you guys into the modern season.   

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal