collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Scopes for 2021 WA Muzzleloader season?  (Read 117931 times)

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Scopes for 2021 WA Muzzleloader season?
« Reply #195 on: January 06, 2021, 09:39:05 AM »
Don’t worry Karl pretty soon it will get hard to see a reticle in a scope  :o ... that’s  when you realize you’re a geezer!  :chuckle:

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #196 on: January 06, 2021, 09:40:56 AM »
Don’t worry Karl pretty soon it will get hard to see a reticle in a scope  :o ... that’s  when you realize you’re a geezer!  :chuckle:

Some days i can be counted in that group...  :chuckle:

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #197 on: January 06, 2021, 10:24:29 AM »
I'd prefer no scopes to keep it primitive but that's just me. I hunt with a hawken style .54 and I think it's really cool to have to get in range so those iron sights can be put to work. It's fun to level that barrel, sight in, and know you have a good sight picture to make the shot. Got one out of a blind back in 2016, the buck finally came in much closer than I needed him to but it was fun judging the distance and sight picture with the iron sights. I pretty much have no doubt that even a 1x due to the cross hair would add another 50 yards to my range perhaps more.

Offline The Big Game Hunter

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
    • https://www.facebook.com/biggamehuntingadventures
    • Big Game Hunting Adventures
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF
« Reply #198 on: January 06, 2021, 11:39:19 AM »
Not that it matters but I have had a few conversations with someone who is apart of these rule changes for wdfw. It sounds like a very large majority of the people are in favor of this. He made it sound like there is a solid possibility of it passing.
Very interesting. I never thought I'd see the regulations modified to allow scopes during muzzleloader season. However, I was also really surprised when they changed the rules to allow regular inline muzzleloaders without the ignition being exposed to the weather.
We'll see what happens...

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #199 on: January 06, 2021, 11:39:26 AM »
I waaaaaaaaant moooooree fooorrrr meeeeeee. It should be easier for me it’s toooooo haaaaaard :cryriver:
[/quote

:chuckle:  Ya, no kidding.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 12:25:26 PM by buckfvr »

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #200 on: January 06, 2021, 11:43:19 AM »
$$$$$$ - think the State will sell hunting lic for ML season by allowing scopes.
Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #201 on: January 06, 2021, 12:17:10 PM »
$$$$$$ - think the State will sell hunting lic for ML season by allowing scopes.
I'm not sure they will convert that many with scopes, but I'm often wrong.  The guys I tend to see in modern typically fall into one of a few groups.  The first is the big camp that has been going on for decades, basically the annual camping trip combined with hunting.  Many of those guys shoot their rifles once or twice a year and will tell you about the spike they shot in 1971 with their uncle...or about the glory days of camp getting 8 bulls a year for 20 years, until about 20 years ago.  Next is the new guy or the out of state guy, limited time/experience in the area.  Other main group I can think of is the really rural guys that live close enough to scout frequently, probably works in the woods and gets an elk first or second day--doesn't need a camp since practically hunts in backyard.
I really don't see the scope as drawing in that many more people, even if harvest rates go up 50%.  There was a small amount of switch over when archery gear was allowed in muzzleloader season, but I think that fluctuates based on whether muzzy or archery is getting the days closer to the rut.  There was a decent size switch when a bunch of new early units were added. 
I think that adding more units, early and late, or extending the early season another 5 days would probably cause the most switch over.  But I'm thinking more for W Washington, so maybe scopes would be a big factor on the eastside.  It might help sell a few more multi-season permits.

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #202 on: January 06, 2021, 12:24:13 PM »
Not that it matters but I have had a few conversations with someone who is apart of these rule changes for wdfw. It sounds like a very large majority of the people are in favor of this. He made it sound like there is a solid possibility of it passing.

I can see where plenty of guys who buy multi-season may support it or modern guys who would support it so the could multi-season it, but I call bs on very large majority.  My take from that is for some reason wdfw wants to do it so they clear the path by saying very large majority hoping no one questions it.

Offline paguy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Hunter
« Reply #203 on: January 06, 2021, 03:13:40 PM »
 :yeah:
Anyone saying 300 is unethical with a scoped muzzy hasn't been paying attention to the advancements in muzzleloaders and components.  A 300gr bullet at 2,400fps is a freight train for a long ways out there and a lot of these factory and custome front staffers are easily capable of sub moa accuracy. You add a reticle into the game and it doubles your range. Ive put my eotec on my muzzy before for fun and its a night and day difference.  A guy can say it doesn't but if they do its glaringly obvious that they haven't shot a scoped muzzleloader or used some of the modern components that are available.

As bullblaster stated, your sights are all that is keeping these weapons "primitive". Take that away and we WILL see lost season opportunities.   If I could snap my fingers right now and go back to pre inlines, less muzzlestuffers, and some of those killer late seasons we used to have I would  :twocents:

I think you are exactly right.  Muzzleloading is no longer primitive or short range.  If going muzzy is no longer a handicap, they should do away with the third bracket and put all of you guys into the modern season.   

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #204 on: January 06, 2021, 03:39:13 PM »
I'm primarily a modern firearm hunter so don't have a dog in this fight, but I think I would have a pretty hard time shooting MOA at 400 yards with a 4x scope which is equivalent to a 1x scope at 100 yards. A 1x at 150 yards would be like a 4x at 600 yards. It seems to me that would make a pretty small sight picture of the animal. :twocents:
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #205 on: January 06, 2021, 03:51:07 PM »
Shoot Bob, I dial up 15 power to shoot MOA at 100 yards.  I think sniping is a young man's game.

Offline Tenkara

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #206 on: January 06, 2021, 04:55:12 PM »
I'm primarily a modern firearm hunter so don't have a dog in this fight, but I think I would have a pretty hard time shooting MOA at 400 yards with a 4x scope which is equivalent to a 1x scope at 100 yards. A 1x at 150 yards would be like a 4x at 600 yards. It seems to me that would make a pretty small sight picture of the animal. :twocents:
Agreed.

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #207 on: January 06, 2021, 07:20:52 PM »
Agreed.

This is what I’m thinking ...
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Online Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #208 on: January 06, 2021, 07:58:31 PM »
Agreed.

This is what I’m thinking ...

:yeah:
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline callturner

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
    • n/a
  • Groups: nra
« Reply #209 on: January 06, 2021, 08:06:43 PM »
Well the seasons can't get much smaller, and scope or not muzzys take a bit more practice than buying a box of shells off the shelf and maybe shooting once a year.  :chuckle:

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal