collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Scopes for 2021 WA Muzzleloader season?  (Read 117937 times)

Offline headshot5

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: Scopes for 2021 WA Muzzleloader season?
« Reply #285 on: January 14, 2021, 08:59:08 AM »
The only things I see is it would allow a little more pinpoint accuracy in the 150-200 yard range.  Since you wouldn't be covering your target with a big old front bead.  And perhaps depending on the scope a little better low light performance than a peep.     

Offline Tenkara

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #286 on: January 14, 2021, 09:00:33 AM »
OK, so call me ignorant, but I guess I don't understand what advantage you'd gain by using a 1x scope? What would the point be?

I have a week left in my late muzzy season, and as soon as the season is over, I'm putting this Williams set up on my Thompson Black Diamond XR. They claim it'll make a gun accurate to 200yards.

https://shop.williamsgunsight.com/ecommerce/p/wgrs--western-precision-muzzleloading-set-676584

I guess I don't understand the whole non-magnified scope thing, either way pro or con.
Only advantage i see is the ability to adjust the focus.

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #287 on: January 14, 2021, 09:26:42 AM »
OK, so call me ignorant, but I guess I don't understand what advantage you'd gain by using a 1x scope? What would the point be?

I have a week left in my late muzzy season, and as soon as the season is over, I'm putting this Williams set up on my Thompson Black Diamond XR. They claim it'll make a gun accurate to 200yards.

https://shop.williamsgunsight.com/ecommerce/p/wgrs--western-precision-muzzleloading-set-676584

I guess I don't understand the whole non-magnified scope thing, either way pro or con.

:yeah:  Theres nothing to gain but focus.

Offline Alan K

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • University of Idaho Alumni
« Reply #288 on: January 14, 2021, 09:31:52 AM »
Not having to align your peep perfectly is a massive plus at extended ranges. I suspect group size getting bigger out there with open sights is mostly about alignment being off ever so slightly shot to shot. The fine crosshairs in globe sights are plenty repeatable.  With a scope, that's not a problem anymore.  :twocents:

Offline Mtnwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #289 on: January 14, 2021, 10:44:00 AM »

And the ability for a Bdc reticle or dialing turret. Even at 0 magnification dialing is a big plus, I have seen videos of guys rock busting at 500 with the Gunwerks dial peep and LR muzz setups

Offline Tenkara

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #290 on: January 14, 2021, 11:14:42 AM »

And the ability for a Bdc reticle or dialing turret. Even at 0 magnification dialing is a big plus, I have seen videos of guys rock busting at 500 with the Gunwerks dial peep and LR muzz setups
Only options I've seen for a 1x scope other than a red dot or something were one from nikon and one from vortex, both are discontinued and impossible to find.

Offline buckfvr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #291 on: January 14, 2021, 11:31:17 AM »
Ya, can you show us a 1x scope with turrets or bdc reticle please ?    :dunno:

Offline pd

• Sourdough
« Reply #292 on: January 14, 2021, 11:32:25 AM »

:yeah:

I don't know anything about turrets and BDC and such.  For me it would be focus improvement only.  Much ado about nothing.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #293 on: January 14, 2021, 11:35:04 AM »
show me a 1x scope without electronics period  :dunno: with new laws come new innovation.  When this passes, the optics industry will respond.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline pd

• Sourdough
« Reply #294 on: January 14, 2021, 11:42:36 AM »
show me a 1x scope without electronics period  :dunno: with new laws come new innovation.  When this passes, the optics industry will respond.

Karl, nobody disagrees with your points.  You (and many others here) are far more experienced with rifles than many of us (myself included).  You all see this proposal as the leak in the dam, that eventually collapses the reservoir.  But what many of us are saying is simply this: Even if/when the optics industry responds, and makes a super-duper ML-ready scope, it will still be just 1x in magnification.  Call me the ignorant one (you won't get an argument about that from me), but I just don't see how a $300 to $500 fancy scope @ 1x is going to destroy muzzleloader hunting as we know it.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline buckfvr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #295 on: January 14, 2021, 11:48:11 AM »

Do you really think the optics industry is going to respond for washingtons miniscule muzzle loader hunt  :o   

Offline Mtnwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #296 on: January 14, 2021, 12:08:07 PM »
Didn't somebody in this thread already contact Vortex about it who said they'd be happy to put one into production?

I'm sure this has already been said multiple times in this thread but I'll leave off with this. I liken this whole thing to when guys started adding sliding pins to their bows. At the time it was fringe, and it was fun to practice out to 90 or even 100. I remember thinking, "sure pounding targets at 100 is entertaining but good luck ever killing an animal way out there." Fast forward to now, and I work with multiple guys who regularly take game outside of 120 with their bows. Now I don't condone that in any way, in fact it drives me nuts when they talk about it. But just because it's not in my person wheelhouse doesn't mean it isn't now happening on a regular basis.

If you don't think that this will increase efficacy and lead to higher harvest and more lead in more animals, then I think you have your head in the clouds. Think of it like a balance scale, on one end you have hunter efficacy and the other you have opportunity. When one goes up, the other goes down. Period.  :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse:

Offline Tenkara

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #297 on: January 14, 2021, 12:12:52 PM »

Do you really think the optics industry is going to respond for washingtons miniscule muzzle loader hunt  :o
This is my thoughts as well, I don't see optic companies tripping over each other to produce a 1x scope because washington ok'd it for muzzleloaders.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #298 on: January 14, 2021, 12:13:28 PM »

They did for utah when utah had the same rule.

Offline headshot5

• Sourdough
« Reply #299 on: January 14, 2021, 12:14:27 PM »
Didn't somebody in this thread already contact Vortex about it who said they'd be happy to put one into production?

Yeah someone mentioned that earlier in the thread.

It should be noted that Vortex also previously made a crossfire II in 1x24. So they have manufactured them before this time. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal