collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Scopes for 2021 WA Muzzleloader season?  (Read 117893 times)

Offline polishstunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA
Re: Scopes for 2021 WA Muzzleloader season?
« Reply #555 on: March 25, 2021, 08:16:04 AM »
Heres the deal, 1x is not a huge difference but will help me.  I have missed good animals with a small micro front and williams peep.  I am a good shot (better with cross hairs).  I am excited for making a "better" shot at 160 yds where I can be more comfortable...not having the bright green dot cover half the animal.

I spent 3 weeks scouring every site out there (ebay, CL, midway, optic planet, google, forums).  Im just glad I found mine as there were at least a 100 dudes ahead of me with the same plan.  There is a cheap 1x out there being made that is still available Vector Optics Wrangler. 

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #556 on: March 25, 2021, 08:21:16 AM »
Heres the deal, 1x is not a huge difference but will help me.  I have missed good animals with a small micro front and williams peep.  I am a good shot (better with cross hairs).  I am excited for making a "better" shot at 160 yds where I can be more comfortable...not having the bright green dot cover half the animal.

I spent 3 weeks scouring every site out there (ebay, CL, midway, optic planet, google, forums).  Im just glad I found mine as there were at least a 100 dudes ahead of me with the same plan.  There is a cheap 1x out there being made that is still available Vector Optics Wrangler. 

I found two and bought them in anticipation of the law changing.  They will help a bit and I’m excited as my eyes aren’t getting any younger.  Not sure it will be extend my range much but it will tighten up my groups. 

My previous post was for fun....but is true.  I have seen people shoot 12 inch groups at 300 and be happy with those groups. 

Offline CBP1888

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #557 on: March 25, 2021, 09:44:37 AM »
I was also able to grab a Vortex 1x, a Traditions 1x, and my buddy got the TC 1x in anticipation of the opportunity to use 1x scopes this year. The scopes were both purchased on eBay, but you have to be on it almost every day. My coworker sent an email to Vortex about the anticipated change to Washington’s muzzleloader law and bringing back the 1x scope. Vortex responded and said that at this time there was no plan to bring back the 1x scope. My suggestion to those looking for a 1x scope use the search terms: 1x24, 1x32, 1x scope, muzzleloader scope, shotgun scope, and pistol scope(eBay and gunbroker).  Also call a few of the Pawn shops in Utah, Colorado, and Wisconsin that at 1 time had only 1x scope laws that later changed to allow variable scopes.

Offline polishstunner

• Hunter
« Reply #558 on: March 25, 2021, 10:14:23 AM »
This is my traditions.  About a 100 yds away.  No doubt better than my peep, etc.

Offline polishstunner

• Hunter
« Reply #559 on: March 25, 2021, 10:15:19 AM »
Pic didnt go

Offline Wizekrakr

• Tracker
    • Don Davis
« Reply #560 on: March 25, 2021, 02:20:15 PM »
I started looking 3 weeks before this thread started up.  Found a Weaver on ebay and 4 TC's on Gun Broker in 10 minutes. Yup, bought em all.  Capitalism at it's finest.

Offline BreezyBear

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
  • RMEF Life Member
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #561 on: March 25, 2021, 02:31:33 PM »
I started looking 3 weeks before this thread started up.  Found a Weaver on ebay and 4 TC's on Gun Broker in 10 minutes. Yup, bought em all.  Capitalism at it's finest.

I was able to get two NIB Weavers off of Ebay about a month ago, one for me and one for the son in-law  :tup:

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #562 on: March 25, 2021, 05:00:11 PM »
None of those are what I'm waiting for.
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #563 on: March 25, 2021, 06:05:52 PM »
1x Scopes will definitely help with better light transmission in lowlight conditions.  Especially the higher quality brands with better optics coatings.

For those wanting a scope for "eyesight" reasons if you are having trouble focusing with your peep sight, consider using one of these Merit adjustable aperture peep inserts.  Hunting Disc #4 fits most threaded insert peeps from Williams and others.   My muzzleloader setup is a rear peep with Merit #4 adjustable peep insert, and front globe sight with crosshairs and the crosshairs are painted with glow-in-the-dark gunsight paint for better visibility in dawn/dusk lowlight conditions.   For those without eyesight issues, these apertures still help your eyes focus on the crosshairs and target at the same time for longer range shots (within ballistical reason of course...it's still a slow fat 45 cal/50 cal bullet travelling downrange).  The Merit peep insert and front crosshairs dramatically improved my accuracy with the muzzleloader.

http://www.meritcorporation.com/how_they_work.html

http://www.meritcorporation.com/products.html

Offline Jimmy33

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #564 on: March 25, 2021, 08:19:44 PM »
1x Scopes will definitely help with better light transmission in lowlight conditions.  Especially the higher quality brands with better optics coatings.

For those wanting a scope for "eyesight" reasons if you are having trouble focusing with your peep sight, consider using one of these Merit adjustable aperture peep inserts.  Hunting Disc #4 fits most threaded insert peeps from Williams and others.   My muzzleloader setup is a rear peep with Merit #4 adjustable peep insert, and front globe sight with crosshairs and the crosshairs are painted with glow-in-the-dark gunsight paint for better visibility in dawn/dusk lowlight conditions.   For those without eyesight issues, these apertures still help your eyes focus on the crosshairs and target at the same time for longer range shots (within ballistical reason of course...it's still a slow fat 45 cal/50 cal bullet travelling downrange).  The Merit peep insert and front crosshairs dramatically improved my accuracy with the muzzleloader.

http://www.meritcorporation.com/how_they_work.html

http://www.meritcorporation.com/products.html
I checked online today and saw a Thompson center 1x32 for sale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
    from violent people you save me.

Offline polishstunner

• Hunter
« Reply #565 on: March 25, 2021, 08:40:14 PM »

What are you waiting for, a quality one? They are all BB gun scopes.  We all want a NF but those are long gone. Gunwerks had a small line on them 10 years ago.  We would all give 600 or more for one.  Not trying to be negative.

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #566 on: March 25, 2021, 08:53:28 PM »

Don’t forget this rule includes red dots... many many red dot/holographic  options available.

Offline millerwheeler

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
« Reply #567 on: March 25, 2021, 09:02:57 PM »
https://www.seeallopensight.com

This sight was brought up a couple times but did not get a lot of discussion.
While it DOES NOT MAGNIFY THE TARGET, there is a magnifying lens built into it that amplifies the INTERNAL triangle that becomes the forward sight. It actually is an open sight with '0' magnification, but there IS a glass magnifying lens that is part of the sight.
I had a similar 'sort' of sight on a bow that eliminated the peep sight in the string and the big ring on the bow. It had two internal rings that you would center to be on target.
It was smaller than the ring/peep set up, and for my eyes, easier to use. It was called an 'Anchor Point'.
I would use one of the SeeAll sights on a muzzle loader, but would wonder if they would think it 'illegal' as there is a glass, magnifying lens built into it, even though it DOES NOT MAGNIFY THE TARGET.

Used this site on my knight and is legal already didn’t care for it personally but have a friend that loves it

I would disagree with the statement that it is already legal. Last years regulations say that a sight containing glass is prohibited, Although it is an "open" sight it does contain glass. I may be wrong, I'm no expert.

I would imagine these would be legal if the changes go through, and a very interesting design, but a lot different than a 1x scope.

Well I met one on one with game
Warden also emailed in ahead of time with all manufacturers specs and it is legal think what ya want it is

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #568 on: March 25, 2021, 09:48:23 PM »

What are you waiting for, a quality one? They are all BB gun scopes.  We all want a NF but those are long gone. Gunwerks had a small line on them 10 years ago.  We would all give 600 or more for one.  Not trying to be negative.
I'm still planning on staying under 70 yards.  A quality red dot will work for me.  Who said anything about a muzzleloader. ;)
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #569 on: March 26, 2021, 08:52:15 AM »
I'd probably order the Viper PST 1-4 if I was deadset on a scope vs a red dot. Have Vortex fix it at 1x.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]