collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Scopes for 2021 WA Muzzleloader season?  (Read 117953 times)

Offline spookgus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Scopes for 2021 WA Muzzleloader season?
« Reply #660 on: April 09, 2021, 05:05:13 PM »
FYI if your looking next year. Vintage Gun Scopes in Corvallis MT sells refurbished Weaver K1 scopes that are graded from mint to excellent and you can get on a waiting list.
Teach your child to hold his tongue,
He will learn fast enough to speak

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #661 on: April 09, 2021, 05:52:38 PM »
Looks like it's official: no scopes on muzzleloaders.

This is a Northwest Sportsman Magazine post on Facebook:
(see the text I put in bold)

COMMISSION APPROVES THREE-YEAR HUNTING PACKAGE

Following up on my previous post here on today's Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission meeting [sorry, my blog is being rEaLlY sTuPiD so I gotta post here], members also approved the 2021-23 hunting package.

Probably the most notable item is that the commission maintained status quo with the Northeast Washington late whitetail rifle hunt, following a long look at antler-point restrictions and even a later start date for most years. That means the next three years will see Nov. 6-19, Nov. 5-19 and Nov. 11-19 seasons. But noting that the issue has come up time and again over his time on the citizen panel, Chair Larry Carpenter vowed to take a deep dive into APR in the future.

While antlerless deer opportunities across Washington's eastern tier and Northeast antlerless moose permits were reduced, one more bull permit was added in a unit near the Canadian border. Mountain goat permits hunters will also be allowed to take two in certain eastern Olympic Mountains conflict zones as the state and feds continue trying to eradicate the species from the peninsula.

The commission also voted to open the 4-O Wildlife Area in Southeast Washington to general season deer and elk hunters. Before it was permit only for those groups, though open for turkeys and other game.

Speaking of upland birds, one HUGE change is that grouse season has been moved back to Sept. 15 from Sept. 1 to try and boost flock numbers. According to WDFW, mother grouse make up a strong portion of the early harvest, affecting survival of the young-of-the-year, in turn leading to a longterm population decline.  That means no more long Labor Day weekend treks to the grouse woods for now, but the commission did extend the end of season through Jan. 15. One hunter had requested a spring "hooter" season, like in Alaska for male blues, as a trade, but that didn't get traction.

There were also some hunting proposals that didn't make the final cut. Following public comment in late March, WDFW staffers pulled several ideas centered around equipment, specifically: allowing hunters to use a dog to track down a wounded deer or elk; allowing a red dot or 1x scope for muzzleloaders; and allowing rimfire rifles for fall turkey hunting, among others.

And then there was a long discussion about the wording of the fall bear proposal, with one motion made to make it a one-year, 2021 rule, but it was eventually passed as WDFW originally proposed.

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #662 on: April 09, 2021, 06:08:13 PM »
Looks like it's official: no scopes on muzzleloaders.

This is a Northwest Sportsman Magazine post on Facebook:
(see the text I put in bold)

COMMISSION APPROVES THREE-YEAR HUNTING PACKAGE

Following up on my previous post here on today's Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission meeting [sorry, my blog is being rEaLlY sTuPiD so I gotta post here], members also approved the 2021-23 hunting package.

Probably the most notable item is that the commission maintained status quo with the Northeast Washington late whitetail rifle hunt, following a long look at antler-point restrictions and even a later start date for most years. That means the next three years will see Nov. 6-19, Nov. 5-19 and Nov. 11-19 seasons. But noting that the issue has come up time and again over his time on the citizen panel, Chair Larry Carpenter vowed to take a deep dive into APR in the future.

While antlerless deer opportunities across Washington's eastern tier and Northeast antlerless moose permits were reduced, one more bull permit was added in a unit near the Canadian border. Mountain goat permits hunters will also be allowed to take two in certain eastern Olympic Mountains conflict zones as the state and feds continue trying to eradicate the species from the peninsula.

The commission also voted to open the 4-O Wildlife Area in Southeast Washington to general season deer and elk hunters. Before it was permit only for those groups, though open for turkeys and other game.

Speaking of upland birds, one HUGE change is that grouse season has been moved back to Sept. 15 from Sept. 1 to try and boost flock numbers. According to WDFW, mother grouse make up a strong portion of the early harvest, affecting survival of the young-of-the-year, in turn leading to a longterm population decline.  That means no more long Labor Day weekend treks to the grouse woods for now, but the commission did extend the end of season through Jan. 15. One hunter had requested a spring "hooter" season, like in Alaska for male blues, as a trade, but that didn't get traction.

There were also some hunting proposals that didn't make the final cut. Following public comment in late March, WDFW staffers pulled several ideas centered around equipment, specifically: allowing hunters to use a dog to track down a wounded deer or elk; allowing a red dot or 1x scope for muzzleloaders; and allowing rimfire rifles for fall turkey hunting, among others.

And then there was a long discussion about the wording of the fall bear proposal, with one motion made to make it a one-year, 2021 rule, but it was eventually passed as WDFW originally proposed.
keep it primitive!!! :tup:
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #663 on: April 09, 2021, 06:28:00 PM »
Hurray for an open sights only gun season!!

Offline Bucks2Ducks

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #664 on: April 09, 2021, 06:28:45 PM »
 :tup:
Hurray for an open sights only gun season!!
When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters and we want our freedom-Sitting Bull

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #665 on: April 09, 2021, 06:47:50 PM »
Watched some of the meeting and smith and koontz almost derailed bear season with a motion to ammend luckily it didn’t pass smith watch out for these 2 in the future molly and McIsaac questioned her agenda will be fun meetings coming in the future I’m sure
That was an ordeal for sure.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline swanderek

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Hunter
« Reply #666 on: April 09, 2021, 06:49:00 PM »
Thank god

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #667 on: April 09, 2021, 07:03:38 PM »
Dang it!
Now I will have to remove my 7-24 50mm scope, IR illuminator, video capable laser red dot range finding auto adjusting bullet drop tripod mounted 50” barreled 75 cal recoil less ‘muzzle loaded’ primitive black powder substitute shooting iron with the remote electronic firing pin.
Dang it!  :chuckle:
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #668 on: April 09, 2021, 07:07:50 PM »
Watched some of the meeting and smith and koontz almost derailed bear season with a motion to ammend luckily it didn’t pass smith watch out for these 2 in the future molly and McIsaac questioned her agenda will be fun meetings coming in the future I’m sure
That was an ordeal for sure.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
Thread jack.

What happened with bear season and the commission?

Offline bkaech

• Scout
  • Groups: BHA, RMEF, NRA
« Reply #669 on: April 09, 2021, 08:34:23 PM »
AWESOME!  I agree with keeping it open sights. This thread and the talk of how these 1x scopes could help only makes me more confident in my opinion of keeping them off of muzzleloaders. 

Offline usmc74

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA (Life), RMEF, SAF (Life), American Legion (Life), Master Hunter
« Reply #670 on: April 12, 2021, 06:28:15 PM »
WDFW newsletter says equipment changes not approved pending more research (or something like that)

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #671 on: April 12, 2021, 06:30:21 PM »
This should make it easier for me to find a good 1X scope to throw on my muzzleloader. 
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #672 on: April 12, 2021, 06:46:20 PM »
https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9lcGljb3V0ZG9vcnMubGlic3luLmNvbS9yc3M/episode/YjBmMmZjOGEtNzM1Ni00MzA2LWIzYWUtY2FmYjliMzBhODFm?ep=14

Here's a good listen regarding tech and hunting opportunities

1st half is talking bout sheep but the 2nd half of the podcast talks alot about new technology & hunting

Offline usmc74

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA (Life), RMEF, SAF (Life), American Legion (Life), Master Hunter
« Reply #673 on: April 12, 2021, 06:53:08 PM »
I did just purchase a Leupold RDS.  1 moa dot that looks great.

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #674 on: April 13, 2021, 02:41:12 PM »
So, maybe crossbows still a go during muzzleloader season?
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal