collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pigeon trapping  (Read 2234 times)

Offline mtaylor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Pigeon trapping
« on: January 03, 2021, 08:13:44 AM »
Looking for tips on trapping feral pigeons. I have done it once with little success. Needing some pigeons to work with my dog.

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
Re: Pigeon trapping
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 09:56:03 PM »
You can buy traps at some tractor supply stores and feed stores, or off of the internet...or make them yourself (easy to do). then put popcorn inside to get them to go in...places to set them are private building where you get permission (again, feed stores or near grain silos and such) so people won't mess with them. One other way to get them is if you see them in parking lots (for some reason they frequent the Wal-Mart parking lot near where I live). go there on an "off day" like a Sunday morning, and use a big salmon net. lay it flat on the ground and put popcorn in it and stand/kneel next to the handle of the net. When the group of birds step in then flip the net over quick! Pick them up and put them into crates in the back of your truck...when/if someone ask just say you're helping to "re-locate" them as they are too many and they make a mess...you could try a county or city park but that's public property and they might frown or even have local ordinances about not feeding the birds, parking lots are often private property and you might get asked to leave but highly doubtful as those birds *censored* on everything and most stores hate them as they nest in vents and such.

I see your in the Tri-Cities...maybe near some grain silos, hay fields, hay stacks, etc....I am sure some farmer wouldn't mind you getting the out of their barns or off of their hay stacks since again, they *censored* on everything!

Good luck!
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline Loup Loup

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
  • Groups: WSTA, ITA, Intermountain Fur Harvesters, F4WM
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 05:04:47 PM »
I sell pigeons that I catch. I clip the feathers on one wing so they don't come back. I charge $4-$6 depending on quantity.

Offline 2MANY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 08:10:08 PM »
Where are you located?
Please send me contact info.

Offline Archry

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 08:57:30 PM »
I need birds for my dog also.  Please contact me

Offline mtaylor

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 09:38:49 AM »
Thanks grace creek rd that info helps. I work at a farm and we have hundreds of pigeons so I will try some of those tactics on them.

Loup loup I may take you up on that depending on my circumstances.
Can I catch ferel pigeons keep them in a coop and their chicks will become homers?

MT

Offline Torrent50

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 07:31:50 PM »
It's my understanding that the chicks hatched in your coop will come back.  In theory, so will the parents once they have chicks or eggs in the nest.  I have a pigeon coop build on my project list for the spring and that is my plan. 
"when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."  Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline RobinHoodlum

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 07:52:54 PM »
Torrent50 is correct, pigeon reared in a coop will be 'homed' to that site. The trapped parent will too once that have had a clutch. That's been my experience at least.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal