collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ever Fished "Stump" Lake Kapowsin  (Read 12357 times)

Offline Buckhunter24

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: Ever Fished "Stump" Lake Kapowsin
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2021, 09:42:08 PM »
My dad says they did a pretty big salvage years ago. It was before I can remember though. It would be really interesting to see some of those boards.

I camped on the island a lot as a kid, of course thats a big no no now. Ive been told there was a whore house on that island in the early days  :yike:

Offline 257wbymagkiller

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2021, 09:58:02 PM »
If your referring the a house that shares the name of a garden tool yes. From what I know and have been told. I grew up next to a gentleman that had been there since the 40s and his dad was there when it was a busy city and said there sure was. Would be so cool to safely dive the lake. So many lures  :chuckle:

Offline highside74

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2021, 10:08:49 PM »
In the mid to late 70s my dad owned a 2 man saw mill at 304th and Meridian just behind where the gas station is now. He cut short/small orders for Willows lumber until he passed in 1978. I was just 4 then and remember logs being dropped of and playing in sawdust piles as tall as the building. I also remember driving the logging roads behind the lake hunting with him the year he passed. As a boy of 8 or 9 a neighbor of ours would take my brother and I down 304th to where the train tracks are and we would park and walk down the tracks to a path to the edge of the lake. It was swampy and they had boards set out to get to an old log barge that was tied up to shore. We would night fish by lantern light for catfish often from that barge. It was an amazing place for a kid that age. A nice man from church would take us frogging with spotlights around the lake also. Slow going looking for dead heads and cruising the lake short netting toads. Good times.

Offline birdshooter1189

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2021, 07:01:16 AM »
I've fished Kapowsin once or twice a summer for the past few years.  Haven't had any trouble with my vehicle, but i've seen the piles of glass on the ground and it makes me nervous. I always feel relieved when I get back to my truck and find it undisturbed.

It's a fun lake to fish.  I've had afternoons where i've caught and released 60+ bluegill, pumpkinseed, black crappie, rock bass, largemouth bass, yellow perch, and trout. 

The parking lot is all paved now, so not much gravel to sling around. The parking lot is usually mostly full when I've been there.

I've seen some homeless camps in the bushes to the east of the public boat ramp and also along the eastern edge of the lake.

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2021, 09:47:26 AM »
My dad says they did a pretty big salvage years ago. It was before I can remember though. It would be really interesting to see some of those boards
I remember them pulling up a lot of logs, took out one we always fished by because the bluegill would run 10"+
Never figured out another one that was as consistent a producer of that size.
Even though they took out a lot of logs, it didn't seem to reduce the number much..
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline Buckhunter24

• Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2021, 11:31:28 AM »
If your referring the a house that shares the name of a garden tool yes. From what I know and have been told. I grew up next to a gentleman that had been there since the 40s and his dad was there when it was a busy city and said there sure was. Would be so cool to safely dive the lake. So many lures  :chuckle:

I spent a lot of summer days finding lures and digging for old bottles down there. The house i grew up in was actually down next to the lake then moved up the hill later on. Built in 1908. The thieving has a been an issue for as long as I can remember, although I would say its gotten better.

Offline Buckhunter24

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2021, 11:35:21 AM »
In the mid to late 70s my dad owned a 2 man saw mill at 304th and Meridian just behind where the gas station is now. He cut short/small orders for Willows lumber until he passed in 1978. I was just 4 then and remember logs being dropped of and playing in sawdust piles as tall as the building. I also remember driving the logging roads behind the lake hunting with him the year he passed. As a boy of 8 or 9 a neighbor of ours would take my brother and I down 304th to where the train tracks are and we would park and walk down the tracks to a path to the edge of the lake. It was swampy and they had boards set out to get to an old log barge that was tied up to shore. We would night fish by lantern light for catfish often from that barge. It was an amazing place for a kid that age. A nice man from church would take us frogging with spotlights around the lake also. Slow going looking for dead heads and cruising the lake short netting toads. Good times.

Thats awesome. I knew a family that pulled a lot of frogs out of the lake. I could never get into it, the taste was fine more of a mental thing  :chuckle: lots of people collecting those snails too, I never got the courage to try them lol

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2021, 12:29:42 PM »
I grew up fishing and hunting Kapowsin.  Great lake and lots of fun.  In the fall and winter we'd go "cast and blast"ing.  Come home with a pile of ducks and usually a few trout. Back when Elmer (then Andy) owned the private dock, it was pretty secure too.  Too bad things didn't work out for Andy.

I have a tough time wanting to go back with that public ramp being the only option.  It's pretty sketchy and I'm really not interested in dealing with strung out tweakers when I'm in my recreation time.  Maybe sometime I'll try it out again when I can empty the truck out and make it very unappealing for a break in.

Offline AL WORRELLS KID

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • The Ancient of Days Lives
  • Groups: Washington State Trappers Association
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2021, 12:55:42 PM »
Kapowsin was my Dad's Favorite Lake back in the 60's and 70's. Surprising since we lived in Kent, WA but would head down to fish almost every weekend.
I remember when I was 10 years old we arrived at the lake and discovered neither one of us had put the oars in the car. We found a couple of old 1X6's floating along the shore to use as paddles, we didn't get near our Limit that day but it made for a memorable Trip. Sure was a great lake for Spiny Ray and Big Carryovers just trolling a Fly over them big logs when the leaves started to change color.
We were Trapping Beaver and Muskrats in November up on the North End of the lake when a storm hit. Dodging Sunken Logs amongst the Whitecaps made for an interesting zigzagging struggle back to the Launch.
 Dad was giving his little 15 horsepower Evinrude all she had, as he took orders from his soaked Kid navigating off the bow.
 We didn't tell Mom about that one (as the two drowned Rats snuck in the back door to find a change of clothes.) :IBCOOL:
"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline 257wbymagkiller

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2021, 01:15:07 PM »
Man I love hearing all these story’s about kapowsin!

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2021, 03:38:41 PM »
I would fish the dock at ericsons when Linda ran it,there times she would force a shot of whiskey on me. The old wood boats I loved my kids would say let's troll dad..lol I was told that some time in history they were going to make kapowsin the state capital

Offline 257wbymagkiller

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2021, 03:45:57 PM »
Ericsson’s was the best. Man when we pulled in we always hoped that the 14 foot smoker craft was sitting at the end of the dock. We would rent it every time if it was there. We thought we were sailing the biggest boat on the lake  :chuckle:

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2021, 04:01:19 PM »
Ericsson’s was the best. Man when we pulled in we always hoped that the 14 foot smoker craft was sitting at the end of the dock. We would rent it every time if it was there. We thought we were sailing the biggest boat on the lake  :chuckle:

Same!!

Offline AL WORRELLS KID

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • The Ancient of Days Lives
  • Groups: Washington State Trappers Association
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2021, 09:49:10 PM »
A Family used to compete with us as we would drop anchor and fish just off the Island.
The the Lily Pads would come alive next to our boat and up would pop an Otter chewing on a Crappie. We had suspected they were in the neighborhood as evidenced by all the Crayfish Shells on the logs.
This same Family also frequented both Ohop and Tanwax lakes and when they showed up we knew it was best to move down the lake.
The Resort over on Tanwax had a Old Pet Raccoon inside a Rabbit Cage that used to love eating all the Freshwater Snails you would bring him up from the lake. These were Big Black Snails about an inch across and he could eat them as fast as a Kid could collect them. :tup:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 10:48:11 AM by AL WORRELLS KID »
"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline 257wbymagkiller

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2021, 10:37:03 AM »

Same!!

So you were who would take it  :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal