collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WDFW Contradicts Itself in Recent Spring Bear Email  (Read 4908 times)

Offline cougforester

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
WDFW Contradicts Itself in Recent Spring Bear Email
« on: January 05, 2021, 07:27:32 AM »
This was in the background/project summary section of the Concise Exploratory Statement recently sent out by WDFW regarding 2021 Spring Bear Rules:

As described in the GMP, spring hunts are designed to address emerging management
needs, such as black bear damage to trees in commercial timberlands, minimizing bear-
human conflict, and/or to more evenly distribute harvest compared to fall seasons.
The spring black bear permit hunts allow WDFW to geographically distribute hunters as
compared to the general fall black bear season. This distribution provides additional
recreational opportunity, and helps to mitigate bear timber damage, reduce bear densities
in areas of high negative bear-human interactions and where ungulate neonate survival is
low due to possible bear predation. The spring black bear permit season is designed to
target specific areas where these opportunities and issues occur. Over the past ten years,
Washington’s average annual black bear mortality was 1,771. The average fall harvest
over the past five years was 1,556 and spring was 114. The previous five-year averages
were 1,499 and 74, respectively. The proportional harvest of the spring season is small.
The five-year average spring bear harvest is seven percent of the total bear harvest. Given
the small percentage, spring bear hunting is unlikely to substantially diminish the bear
resource.

But then later when addressing the comments received by WDFW:

Comment: Would like to see a general spring bear season.
Bears can be more susceptible to harvest in the spring and that is why WDFW limits the
scope of the spring bear season.
Given that the bear resource is finite, opening a general
spring bear season could result in a higher than desired bear harvest that would
necessitate reducing harvest opportunity elsewhere. This could mean a reduced bag limit
or a shorter fall season

Also it noted the 5 year running average for spring bear harvest in the state is 114 for 778 permits. That's just under 15% success. The stated reasons for spring bear season in this document is :

The spring black bear permit hunts allow WDFW to geographically distribute hunters as
compared to the general fall black bear season. This distribution provides additional
recreational opportunity, and helps to mitigate bear timber damage, reduce bear densities
in areas of high negative bear-human interactions and where ungulate neonate survival is
low due to possible bear predation.

It seems to me their goals stated above do not correlate with their objections to OTC spring bear and their language saying spring harvest does not have a significant impact on bear population. Seems to me if the department wanted to truly provide rec opportunity, mitigate bear timber damage, reduce high negative bear encounters with humans and reduce bear predation on young ungulates, they would be very conducive to at least providing more permits.

Lastly, this is the scariest paragraph in the document:

WDFW received a form letter from five hundred and four (504) people opposing spring
bear hunting in general. Most of the three hundred and twenty-eight (328) people that
participated in the online survey were in favor of the proposed rule changes. Those that
were opposed had multiple reasons.

Hunters need to be aware of groups actively trying to cut hunting opportunities out from underneath us. If we lose spring bear hunting, even in its current state, that likely would only signal the beginning of the end of hunting as we know it.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: WDFW Contradicts Itself in Recent Spring Bear Email
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 07:51:56 AM »
While at the same time the comission gets 2 anti hunters appointed and replacing One that was pretty good for hunters in comparison.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline lightning9191

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 08:09:32 AM »
It only takes a couple minutes to jot an email. Let the commission know your thoughts: commission@dfw.wa.gov

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline Cougartail

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 08:11:06 AM »
While at the same time the comission gets 2 anti hunters appointed and replacing One that was pretty good for hunters in comparison.

Just read Lorna Smith's website for her failed commissioner run. I'm thinking a photo hunt is all she would allow if it was up to her. :twocents:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 08:45:30 AM by Cougartail »
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline cougforester

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 08:11:47 AM »
It only takes a couple minutes to jot an email. Let the commission know your thoughts: commission@dfw.wa.gov

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I've started sending an email every couple weeks. Might as well be the squeaky wheel for once.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 08:25:54 AM »

Just read Lorna Smith's website for her failed commissioner run. I'm thinking a photo hunt is all she would allow if it was up to her. :twocents:qq

You want to contact Lorna contact her thru here that's how I did.
http://westernwildlife.org/
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 08:52:44 AM »
Not sure how many caught this episode of the Meateater podcast, https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cub21ueWNvbnRlbnQuY29tL2QvcGxheWxpc3QvYWFlYTRlNjktYWY1MS00OTVlLWFmYzktYTk3NjAxNDY5MjJiL2FjMDdmZjYyLWQwYjAtNDM0My1iNDhhLWFiMWEwMDEzNGRmMC85YzU3YTE5OS1hNTE3LTRjYmUtODk0MC1hYjFhMDAxMzRlMDMvcG9kY2FzdC5yc3M/episode/NWE0NTU2ZGEtMGY0Yy00MmIyLWE0NmUtYWM5NTAwMDMzZGJl?hl=en&ved=2ahUKEwixkKi4nYXuAhWGup4KHSHXCjgQjrkEegQIBRAN&ep=6
***egads! Episode 252 in case the ugly link doesn’t work.
or even listen to podcasts, but there was a guest on discussing how out of state interests (i.e. anti-hunters) were able to easily influence commission meetings that due to Covid, were conducted over Zoom calls. If I remember right there were hundreds(?) on a recent call discussing Spring bear hunts. And of course, they were all in opposition. Made my blood boil that they were even allowed to participate as non-residents of WA!
I get it that non-hunters in WA have equal say in hunting matters because game is managed by the state for its residents (I don’t like it, I feel anybody voting on game laws should hold a valid license). But to allow non-residents to have an equal voice in the state’s management discussions doesn’t seem right.
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2021, 08:54:33 AM »
WDFW is taking a bunch of heat over spring bear hunting, they have held the line more or less but I wouldn't expect much appetite to expand anything.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2021, 09:32:19 AM »
Spring Bear permits could of been increased many times in the past few years easily .
@Bango
Where's this guy been ,old bango is the foo fighter of bear regs. I forgot he had me blocked at one time.Somebody will have to @Bango him. :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :dunno:
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2021, 09:35:55 AM »
WDFW is taking a bunch of heat over spring bear hunting, they have held the line more or less but I wouldn't expect much appetite to expand anything.

Im not so sure they will hold any line whenit comes to predator hunting. Even our "Friends" abandoned us over coyote  hunting derbies.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2021, 09:36:17 AM »
@Bango Skank

There ya go.

MeatEeater just discussed WA spring bear awhile back on their podcast.  They noted that a lot of anti hunting groups have been using the virtual meetings to their advantage so they can Zoom in from anywhere in the US and complain about the ethics of hunting. 

Probably time for us to do the same.  The only way we're going to even keep what we've got is by showing up to meetings.

Offline cougforester

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2021, 02:44:47 PM »
The email from WDFW today regarding spring bear, multi season and special permit applications opening up had this ominous line in it:

Please be aware that the spring bear rule that governs this hunt is currently being challenged through litigation. The pending litigation could result in cancellation of this hunt. If this occurs, we will notify hunters accordingly and identify next steps. 

That sure doesn't sound encouraging.

Offline KNOPHISH

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2021, 06:37:32 PM »
YGBFKM I got the same email and gonna be sending a protest email. Isn’t their mission statement something about providing and increasing opportunities? Game management is about science not butt hurt leaf lickers.
I have Man Chit to do

Online brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2021, 06:40:24 PM »
im sure i'm wrong but i thought the majority of the lawsuit brought against WDFW was to basically end the "depredation" hunts that private timber companies used through DNR to get hound hunters in the spring on their lands to eradicate the bears.  The spring hunts offered by WDFW through the special permit hunts was just the icing on that cake. Yes looking at the data the spring permit season offered by WDFW kills way less than 10 % of the total yearly bear harvest but i have yet to see statistics stating how many bears are killed in the spring by these "depredation" hound hunters
beer---it's whats for dinner

Offline KNOPHISH

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2021, 06:49:53 PM »
Ya they also put in the link that baiting and hound hunting is not allowed. Ya we all know that bs legislation. Game management by ballot box should be illegal.
I have Man Chit to do

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1