collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: My 07' Africa Trip (pics)  (Read 12876 times)

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
Re: My 07' Africa Trip (pics)
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2008, 10:55:06 AM »
It really doesn't matter if you have the taxidermy work done over their or have the hides just shipped to the States.  Either way their is plenty of opportunity for hides, capes, and horns to be stolen or swapped out for less appealing specimens. 

The care a lot of these guys in Africa take on animals absolutely SUX!  Most look like they have been skinned out with a hatchet or a machete.  I've seen capes come in that had no eye's, lips completely cut off, tails missing.  The skin's have either been flint dryed, air dryed or had rock salt put on them.  Basicly they use what ever is or is not lying around to dry your skins for shipment.  I've seen a lot where they don't even split the ears, turn the nose, turn the lips, or flesh them.  I've also seen hides come in with big bald spots on them from improper field care causing slippage.

If you go to Africa find a GOOD outfitter.  Get referals and ask for referances.  Whats the point of going if what you get back isn't yours or is absolutly unmountable?

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2008, 04:39:26 PM »
It really doesn't matter if you have the taxidermy work done over their or have the hides just shipped to the States.  Either way their is plenty of opportunity for hides, capes, and horns to be stolen or swapped out for less appealing specimens. 

That could be but when your here and the critters are overseas you can't do anything about it. At the same time I have heard of some really good taxis in Africa, guess you have to do as much research on that as the outfitter.

Offline Muleyslyr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2008, 12:19:43 PM »
So much talk about the taxi work over there while waiting for mine and my wife's stuff makes me a little nervous.  I've seen the work done from the taxidermist I have my animals with, but there is still always a chance of something happening.

When I original posted this, we were waiting for my wifes heads to come back from her trip last year.  As seems like always the case, there was some confusion on when they were actually completed and payment actually recieved.....so here it is middle of Feb. and we haven't gotten them back yet.  Spoke with them directly last week and supposedly they have been shipped.  We'll see.  Really makes me nervous about my stuff.

I will post pics....good or bad.....of my wife's heads when we get em' back and hung up.

Offline Hunting Cowboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2008, 12:53:05 PM »
Muleyslyr, Love all the pictures. What a great tip!

I can't speak to your particular situation or taxidermist and such, and I don't pretend to know anything at all here, but it often seems like it is usually the case when dealing with shippments, taxidermy, tanning and the like. I always get a little nervous too as time marchess on especially when it seems like it is taking longer than it should. Give some time though, I'm sure everything is fine.

Offline Buckshot Bill

• Scout
  • Just a YARnaby
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2008, 01:03:18 PM »
Just curious Muleyslyr, did any of your animals make it in the Rowland Ward record books?  My parents went on a safari back in the late 60's I think it was and shot many of the same as you.  They had a great experience.  Thanks for sharing your pics and story.

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2008, 01:13:30 PM »

That could be but when your here and the critters are overseas you can't do anything about it. At the same time I have heard of some really good taxis in Africa, guess you have to do as much research on that as the outfitter.

They don't just ship your hides to the states over night it can take months!  I'm talking 4 months and longer.  They haved to go through a process befor they can even enter the U.S.A.

I am sure their are good taxidermists over their like any where else.  

I do know this that African capes are some of the worst capes.  Ears tore off.  Eyes cut out, no lip skin, Shoulder Capes instead of Life Size Capes, slippage, Flint dried, etc.  You have to realy do your home work. 

Offline Muleyslyr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2008, 02:45:21 PM »
And as you probably know Michelle, a lot of the capes and hides on the animals are bad to begin with.  Those animals live in some of the toughest conditions and country I've ever set foot in.  Thorn bushes like you wouldn't believe.  Like I was saying somewhere before, it's actually amazing some of em' come out as good as they do.  My wife shot a beatiful Kudu and the hide was hammered beyond repair.  She unfortunately had a Euro done on it.

Buckshot.....as far as the Rowland Ward goes, I honestly don't know.  I know they have Bronze, Silver, and Gold standards for scoring and I did have all mine scored in which I think 5 were Gold, two Silvers, and I believe my Springbok was a Bronze.   

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal