collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sad, be careful out there  (Read 2283 times)

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Sad, be careful out there
« on: January 30, 2021, 09:23:14 AM »
 :'( :'(

KCSO Deputies and Medical respond to Drowning on Blue Lake
Harrison, Idaho: On January 29th at around 4:20 pm, several Deputies, the Dive Rescue Team, and Fire and Medical from Eastside Fire responded to the area of N. Brewster Road and Blue Lake Road for a report a person yelling for help from the area of the lake. A citizen located a vehicle but no one around it.
Deputies and Medical arrived on scene and began a search of the area, both in the water and on land. At around 6:00 pm Deputies located a male partially in the water but deceased. The male was identified as Dale G. Renfro, a 60 year old male from Spokane Valley Washington. It was reported by family that Dale was an avid fisherman and was more than likely attempting to ice fish when he fell through the ice. At this time it is unknown if Dale drown or died as a result of extended exposure to the cold.
Blue Lake is a remote lake with very little public access. Responding to the location by land is difficult especially during the winter months.
Even though it is winter and typically the chain lake near the area of Harrison freeze up, this winter has not been as cold as past winters so far. Citizens need to use caution when they venture out onto any lakes that appear frozen. It is recommended that you wear a life jacket even on the ice in the event you fall through.
Sheriff Robert Norris
By: Lt. Ryan Higgins
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline elkboy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Sad, be careful out there
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 09:58:11 AM »
Tragic.  Rest in peace. 

Good reminder to check ice thickness, and to remember that ice thickness can vary over the span of a lake.

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 09:08:29 AM »
Its good to raise awareness about these events but very tragic indeed. Not much of an ice fisherman but I will be wearing my PFD whenever on the ice from hear on out.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 09:34:33 AM »
Its good to raise awareness about these events but very tragic indeed. Not much of an ice fisherman but I will be wearing my PFD whenever on the ice from hear on out.

Your PFD is not going to help you much if you can't get back out of the water.  Sounds like this gentleman did not drown, but died of loss of body heat by being in the water.  You are much better off carrying spikes to be able to pull yourself back up onto the ice.  They make retractable ice spikes that are attached to each other by a cord that you wear under your jacket and down each arm.
Fred Moyer

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
Fred Moyer

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 10:22:13 AM »

Your PFD is not going to help you much if you can't get back out of the water.  Sounds like this gentleman did not drown, but died of loss of body heat by being in the water.  You are much better off carrying spikes to be able to pull yourself back up onto the ice.  They make retractable ice spikes that are attached to each other by a cord that you wear under your jacket and down each arm.

Great advice. I would double up then with the PFD and the spikes or some other method to get out of the water. I got plenty of upper body strength but you're right. Inadequate grip on the ice and slipping on the ice trying to get out would suck. The PFD itself might catch on the edge of the ice and prevent getting out etc.

Offline Fidelk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, JCSA
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 12:07:16 PM »
Wouldn't hurt to carry a fairly long wooden pole with you capable of supporting your weight as you cross to and from your fishing spot.....it will catch on both sides of the hole if you go through. You also need to know what's under the ice.......decades ago in California people went through some ice and dropped about 6 feet down into the water unable to reach back up to the ice......the water levels had been drawn down for either water or hydro-electric. That must have been a nasty little surprise.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 10:06:31 AM »
Wow, that would be a shocker!  I once fell about 6 inches through the top layer to next layer of ice and let me tell you that was a loooong 6 inch drop!!!!!
Fred Moyer

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]