collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fletching guidance  (Read 3484 times)

Offline TRD1911

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
Fletching guidance
« on: January 10, 2021, 03:22:20 PM »
I started fletching my own arrows this year and going a bit deeper down the rabbit hole during this off season. I was using an Arizona EZ fletch right helical last year with decent results. I picked up a Bitzenburger this year with a right helical jig. After watching numerous videos I decided to try a technique where you shoot bare shaft, mark the center of the nock as it lines up on the shaft (12 O'clock as its knocked on the string) and see which way your arrow is rotating as it releases from the bow. At about 8ft my shaft turns from roughly 12 to 10 O'clock on impact. So, it looks like my arrow natrually wants to turn counter clockwise upon release.

With my right helical jig am I fighting the initial flight of the arrow?

How much does this affect accuracy?

Does the right helical setup that I already own generate enough torque as it starts grabbing air to overcome this to a point where natural rotation is negligeable?

I will also be replacing my strings this year. What determines which way the shaft wants to naturally rotate upon release? Would new strings possibly change this? Should I wait to have the new strings installed before fletching my arrows for this year?

I've always enjoyed hand loading ammunition so I'm starting to get a kick out of bow tuning and arrow assembly. Thanks for taking a look and sharing your knowledge.

Offline Tracker0721

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
Re: Fletching guidance
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 03:59:48 PM »
It’s my belief that the nock is what cause that minor spin. The fletching over powers that by so much though that bare shafting and going off the arrows spin is worthless. Literally your nock probably is a little skewed or loose which doesn’t matter at all unless it’s falling off loose. That’s one part of arrow building I’ve never cared about.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short.

Amen

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 05:36:09 PM »
The string twist is what determines the direction the arrow naturally rotates or "clocks".  The arrow will clock in the opposite direction of the strings twist. Most strings twist clockwise resulting in a lot of arrows clocking left, although some builders do/will twist counterclockwise. Something to consider if replacing your strings.

My testing shows no difference between shooting left or right from a compound with release. In lots of testing with different vanes and broadheads. I am probably not good enough shot to notice. But at 80 yards my setup  didn't care about right or left offset. That's using about 3 degrees with blazer vane and good spinning BH. If given a choice and rolling your own, fletching with the clock makes sense, but not worth fretting over IMO. Different vanes, or degrees of offset and helical may change that. My understanding is shooting fingers or off the shelf it makes a bigger impact, but I have no experience with that.

Offline TRD1911

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 08:03:13 PM »
Good to hear. Thanks for the info guys. I trust the knowledge on here more than most random internet searches.

Offline OltHunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 08:58:16 PM »
Blackveltbowhunter is spot on.

It's something to worry about if your a competitive shooter or distances much farther than any hunting situation.

You can also buy a left helical jig as well for the bitz for not too much to eliminate your worries.

Offline Tracker0721

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2021, 10:06:19 PM »
Learn something new everyday. Never thought the string twist would do that. I do a right helical and right single bevels because when I did left wing with left bevels they would sometime spin themselves loose in my deer target. If you’re building your own arrows definitely look into a arrow squaring device like the one from g5 and the q2i fusion 2 vanes were pretty highly recommended last time I was researching vanes to try.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short.

Amen

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 10:22:54 PM »
Blackveltbowhunter is spot on.

It's something to worry about if your a competitive shooter or distances much farther than any hunting situation.

You can also buy a left helical jig as well for the bitz for not too much to eliminate your worries.
Meh, I kinda disagree.

Chasing accuracy is good for hunting too.

I understand at 40yards big deal,  but if guys are chasing 100 yard target accuracy it translates to more confidence at all ranges, even shorter hunting ranges.

I say chase that small tight group, you'll be a better archer and take more confident shots.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline snarkybull

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 05:44:36 PM »
If you want your field tips unscrewing each time they hit the target, then by all means try a left helical fletching.  Most of us stick to right helical.  I happen to use right beveled broadheads, so spinning lefty is a no-go for me.
How long til elk season?!??

Offline 2MANY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 06:37:23 AM »
Thanks for the feedback Black Velvet, but you forgot to address bows that are just plain bad luck. :)

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2021, 04:29:39 PM »
Haha.... sometimes it doesn't matter what you do, things just need shook up.

Offline Parasite

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2021, 09:11:23 AM »
If you really want accurate arrows, buy Black Eagle and have them spine indexed. I shoot crossbows and verticals, and it's easy to see the improvements that makes shooting crossbows at short and long range.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal