collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Barnes LRX  (Read 1796 times)

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
Barnes LRX
« on: January 16, 2021, 02:05:48 PM »
Anyone using or tried the 145gr 7mm ?  Im thinking of trying to develop a load for it (7mm rem mag) in anticipation of lead free zones or state wide.  Good bad or otherwise.

Offline Buckjunkie

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: USMC Vet, NRA Life Member, SCI Life Member, WAFNAWS Life Member
Re: Barnes LRX
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 04:19:32 PM »
I loaded some for an out of state hunt that strongly urged non toxic projectiles. I use the 145g LRX in my 7STW going 3,300 FPS. I have shot four animals, 3 mulies and a cow elk. Good performance, good accuracy. All one shot kills. I have no reservation about using the LRX.

I have loaded the 145 g LRX for two family members in 7 Rem Mag. I use New Nosler brass, just punch a .283 expander mandrel, Fed 215 primer. 66 g RL 22 and make sure you seat them .090 off the lands and grooves. I don’t get good accuracy out of Barnes bullets seating them close to L & G. I have to be at least .070 up to .120 off.

Offline buckfvr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 04:30:01 PM »
Thanks for responding, ya Ive got 50 pieces of new Nosler brass but will probably go with rl26.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 04:46:42 PM »
I loaded them for my 7mm rem mag last year. They were exceptionally accurate out of my rifle. Killed 3 animals last year with them. 2 neck shots and 1 lung shot. The neck shots had obvious results, and the lung shot deer died within feet of the shot. They will be my bullet of choice moving forward.

Also, while there was no blood trailing needed for the lung shot deer, Ray Charles could have followed what was there.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Mtnwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 05:47:43 PM »
Never used the 145's but tried working up a load with 129's last year for my wife's 270wsm and was not very impressed. I didn't have much time for load development but I had the LRX and Berger 130 both right at .6, almost identical groups at 100. When I stretched it out to 700 the LRX groups fell apart and the Bergers held right at 1/2 moa. Also seemed to be pretty incosistent bullet to bullet, oal was all over the place and mine had visibly crooked tips on about half the bullets. You could roll them across a glass table and hear an audible "lope" in the bullet roll. I emailed Barnes with some pictures etc. and they responded with, "everything looks to be within tolerance to us, you're just not doing your part with the shooting." They would have been just fine for a regular hunting bullet, but they just don't seem to be consistent enough to be sold as a long range bullet imo. But apparently others have had great luck with the 145's, so maybe I just got a bad batch. Barnes says that's not the case though.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 06:02:48 PM by Mtnwalker »

Offline buckfvr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 05:54:10 PM »
Im going to want them to be repeatable/reliable out to 800 yards and capable of consistency practicing at 1k.  We'll see.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 06:06:43 PM »
I only shot out to 400, but they were shooting basically .25 moa.  400 yard target.

Also, if you buy a bunch and don't like them, I'll buy them back from you.

Offline Mtnwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 06:26:55 PM »
 ^ There ya go. I would have been ecstatic with those results.  :tup:

Offline buckfvr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2021, 07:10:24 PM »
Im just certain the state will force them on us before long so Im just trying to stay ahead of the change.  I have out to 350 in the back yard and 10 minutes away, back side of the hill we have 585 - 1320, so I can practice much longer than Im willing to shoot at game animals.  But.. in a no wind situation, if the LRX shoots like the Bergers I load now, then I will do deer out to 800 in a perfect scenario, already done 650.  Its more like preparing for the slim to none opportunity.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2021, 07:11:50 PM »
That's exactly why I made the switch as well. Just expecting the mandate at some point.

Offline buckfvr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2021, 12:43:35 PM »
So looking a bit closer, even if you get desired accuracy at 800+ yards, it appears terminal performance at velocities from 600 yards out would seem to be minimal expansion.  Looks kind of like the Barnes and Hornady GMX do the same thing at lower velocities, hard bullet, less expansion.

Has anyone had experience with a deer or elk broadside at 600+ yards ?  How was performance as in expansion and results ?

Offline Mtnwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2021, 01:12:52 PM »
One of the reasons I haven’t tried them in my 7 yet. They claim expansion down to 1600fps which should get you knocking on the door of 1000 but energy is way down out there and as you said I’d be willing to bet terminal performance is pretty minimal beyond 6-700 when you just have the tip barely opening to the diameter of the bullet. I know that when I was smacking steel with them and the Berger’s, the Berger’s did about twice the damage to the plate as the LRX did which I thought was odd. Figured it would be the other way around. And I hate Berger’s btw  :chuckle:

Offline buckfvr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2021, 01:16:56 PM »
Same as my thoughts.....even if it can be delivered where you want it, it still has a job to do and that I wont compromise on.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2021, 03:10:09 PM »
Based on current monolithic technology, I don't think you'll see the terminal performance of lead at those distances in any of the monolithic bullet choices. I think maybe Hammer bullets are a little different design and maybe offer better terminal performance at distance. Might look at those. I'm a MAX 500 yard guy, so the LRX will do everything I need them to do.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal