collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Travel trailer advice  (Read 12630 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Travel trailer advice
« on: January 17, 2021, 10:48:11 AM »
So we’re considering a travel trailer. Something in the 20-24’ range. My current vehicle has a 7500 pound tow rating but I’m wanting to keep max weight around 5k. I know we want bunks and at a minimum, a queen bed. The table that folds into a bed is mostly useless as we’re all tall(I have a 13 year old daughter that is 6’ tall). So maybe if her short friend comes along the table bed thing would get used as a bed but probably not. We want new or at least newer. I’m looking for advice on brands and other things I should be considering with this. There is a plan for a truck with a higher tow capacity at some point but really these trailers we’ve seen all have what we need as far as size goes. We’re all outdoorsy types and wouldn’t spend a lot of time indoors. We’ve always been tent campers but my wife is about done with tent life I think.
I like the layout along the lines of this one.

Forest River Evo 177BQ
https://hr4kf.app.goo.gl/6xCKK

Which I guess brings up the question of single axle or dual axle.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Buckhunter24

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: Travel trailer advice
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 11:00:00 AM »
Sounds like your already looking close at the bed lengths, but measure for yourself. My dad has a Springdale that looks identical to that and the bunks are only about 5' 9".

Offline Igor

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 11:06:24 AM »
Sounds like your already looking close at the bed lengths, but measure for yourself. My dad has a Springdale that looks identical to that and the bunks are only about 5' 9".

That is a good point......measure the beds yourself.  What the RV manufacturers call a "Queen size" is not a  normal queen size....it is considerably shorter.
molṑn labé

USAF
   6987th Security Squadron
   6947th Security Squadron
   6918th RSM

Offline Old Dog

• Sourdough
  • Groups: Old Dog
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 11:09:04 AM »
I just bought a new 24' coach, 28' overall, Springdale last August.  I ended up staying away from the ultra lite models.  Lack of cargo capacity, small holding tanks, and no winter package with those.  I did not get a bunk house model either, because the bunks in the smaller models are for kids.  I don't think your 6' daughter would like them.  There are only 3 or 4 manufacturers that make all the travel trailers, so pick the one you like in you price point and buy it.    :twocents:
Hunt hard and shoot straight!

Offline Sandberm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 11:13:19 AM »
 :chuckle:

Seriously...sit on the toilet and pretend to use it. I'm 5ft 10in tall. In my old 20 ft Nash its a tight fit. My knees almost hit the opposite wall and leaning over to do a right hand wipe is much easier with the door thats on my left open. Ive been married a long time, but that doesnt mean my wife wants to see me wipe my butt.

Lay in the bed next to your wife and roll around to make sure there is enough room. Again, my old Nash is a tight fit for me and the wife. Its doable but we keep eachother up at night when each of us rolls around. Our bed measures about 49 inches wide wall to wall. I really wish it had another 10-12 inches of width

Stand in the shower. Again, if I was much taller the hair that is left on my head would be getting cut off by the exhaust fan.

Ours holds 40 gallons of fresh water. Thats about 3 nights stays worth for us(2 people, 2 showers total?)

Offline hiway_99

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Scout
    • https://m.facebook.com/100088313187853/
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 11:15:16 AM »
Ultra lite rv tend to have a shorter interior head hight.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 11:23:10 AM »
I travel trailer camped pretty much the first 25 years of my life and never took a shower in one. It’s a thing, but not a huge thing. We all know it’s going to be a tight fit. We’ll definitely investigate the actual bed lengths too. That’s good advice. That’s one of the biggest factors of this idea.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 11:24:15 AM »
Double axle for sure on something that big.  5K should be easy to stay under with the ultra lights.  Don't be too hung up on brands unless you want to upscale to certain makes like Airstream and others.  Most models are built in the same 2 or 3 factories in Indiana and are virtually identical I found. One thing that I would change in your diagram is the orientation of the main bed.  If it's rotated 90 degrees, you can both get out on your own side without one of you climbing over the other to go to the bathroom.  That seems to get more important as we get older.  A slideout is also mandatory.  The extra room it gives is invaluable.  Other little perks I like on ours (excluding all the real obvious needs) are the following:

Outside:

Shower nozzle with hot water
QD propane spigot
Electric awning
Lots of LED lights
Speakers
Backup camera
Electric tongue jack (I installed that)
Dual battery system (I installed that, there are some things to be careful of)
Anti sway hitch system (I installed that too)

Inside:

Tons of storage and closets
Microwave
Oven (for baking cookies and frozen pizzas mostly)
TV/entertainment system
Shower
Big fridge and freezer
A/C (never thought we'd need it until camping in E. WA in August)
Clothes line to dry out clothes (I installed that)

There are other things I'm sure that I am missing.

A couple things I would like that I've yet to upgrade:

Larger propane tanks
Additional counter space for the "kitchen"

Hope that helps.

Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline BD1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 11:32:02 AM »
I purchased a 2020 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 2208 BHXL...very similar floor plan. I love it  :tup: it is basically 28' total. If you have specific questions shoot me a PM. 4300# dry. Tandem axle. Ours is a murphy bed that folds up to reveal a small couch. The XL I think stands for the larger bunk beds. Full size oven etc. Got mine at Apache in Everett. Lots to look at there. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 11:49:32 AM by BD1 »

Offline Igor

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2021, 11:54:49 AM »
Unless you really need a lightweight trailer, I would stay away from the ultralight versions.  My wife and I looked at probably 30 trailers before we bought ours, and we noticed early-on that the ultralights had some serious drawbacks.
Depending on how many trailers you look at, I would recommend taking notes on things you find out that you like, and things you dislike.  We looked at so many trailers over a 3-day period that it was hard to remember what we had liked in specific trailers.
molṑn labé

USAF
   6987th Security Squadron
   6947th Security Squadron
   6918th RSM

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2021, 12:14:38 PM »
We like our ultralight Jayco Hummingbird Baja
Queen
Slide
Power awning
TV/dvd
20ft
4K on weight loaded
Run everything with a 500 watt generator
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline JKEEN33

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2021, 12:15:16 PM »
I have the truck canopy, 1 man, 3 man, kodiak canvas and a 28 foot trailer. They all have their uses. Been doing travel trailers for 20 years now. If you buy new, expect to do repairs. I’m sitting in the new trailer I bought in November right now. Had to repair cable connections, screen door, shower door, loose trim, TP roll hanger. It’s well known that the finish on trailers stinks. They are easy fixes usually and to me worth just fixing and then enjoying the time spent in the trailer.

Don’t max out the truck. I see it a lot and it becomes a truck repair nightmare fast. Get the most space you can, you will appreciate it down the road. Showers do become more important down the road.

I bought the UL this time. Even with a one ton truck, there is a lot of weight back there. This UL does have a lower ceiling height, I’m 5’10, so not an issue. You can get 4 season UL, this one is. Heated tanks is nice if your going to be in cold weather. Big tanks are nice if you are going to be out for any length of time. First thing I look at is the roof. Some of the older models have the seam between the roof and the wall on top of the roof. I never understood that. Standing water on the roof eventually works into the seam no matter how well you caulk my new one wraps the roof over to the side of the wall

I went with a slide this time. I was worried about leaks also, but have been in a few heavy downpours already. So far I’m impressed and LOVE the extra space.

We have a great time RVing especially now that recreation and vacation options are limited.

I’ll add, a good quality cover is a must. The sun is just as bad as the rain on trailers. Keeping it covered while storing helps keep them dry and in good shape. I’ve seen new trailers that are junk in 4-5 years from just sitting uncovered.

Offline Sandberm

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2021, 12:35:35 PM »
I love using my shower. Its nice to have a hot shower at the end of a sweaty day. I sleep better.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2021, 12:54:12 PM »
We just bought 27" toy hauler work and play.  I dont understand why people arent concerned about quality of construction?  These things are headaches like boats.  Leaks, rotten floors, roofs etc.  I choose this one due to NO wood in walls.  Laminated floors, alum truss roof.  PVC roof instead of rubber membrane roof.  Heated underbelly.      I would look at a Coachman TT.  Azdel aluminum walls.  etc.  Forest river.caochmen.   Also heated underbelly if ya camp in winter, nobody likes frozen poopsickles.  Tufflex pvc roof much better the the TPO rubbers.   Dual axles required imop. 5-7k lbs should be fine I think?   Longer dual axles tow easier.  Axle flip lift if boondocking?  Dual 6volt batts and or solar  :tup:.  Nice tall skylight shower, AC, elect. tongue jacks, elect awning are nice features.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2021, 02:20:47 PM »
I’m totally concerned about quality of construction.

What brand did you buy?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal