collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Travel trailer advice  (Read 12624 times)

Offline Hunter mike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Travel trailer advice
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2021, 07:44:04 PM »
We’re  about to pick up trailer #4 soon. #3 was kind of a mistake - we went no slide for weight and simplicity and my wife really struggled with the kids and dogs always passing through her space when  cooking and dishes etc. We’re getting one big slide this time along with larger bunks.

One thing to think about with those smaller single axle trailers is the very low payloads. Often they’re rated for under 1000 lbs including the water tank. Also watch for ultralight construction - things can be pretty flimsy. Try to get a 5/8” t&g plywood floor and walkable roof.

Good maintenance goes a long ways toward making it last.  Get an Equalizer hitch and maybe look at Sumo springs for a 1/2 ton - supposed to be really good.

Invest in good batteries and a small generator - tons of great free dry camping in WA. It’s fun to set up camp off the grid with all of the comforts for the family.

Offline Idighuntin

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2021, 06:27:51 AM »
Look into Outdoors Rv and Northwood mfg. both quality Rv made in Oregon built for camping in the Northwest. If you’re interested in quality you have to look into there models. :twocents:

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2021, 07:53:22 AM »
After having one with and one without I wouldn't even consider a traveler trailer without a slide out. Especially with a family.

Tandem axle for sure. 

Elksnout

:yeah: X 100

Offline gutsnthegrass

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2021, 09:08:31 AM »
We had really good luck with our Jayco.  Owned it for 10 years and never had an issue with it with proper maintenance.

Offline walter351

• Tracker
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2021, 09:16:18 AM »
My honest opinion on travel trailers in our current market would be to wait another year if you could. Consider the following reasons. 1. Thor industries has over 2 billion dollars worth of orders currently on the books. Thor is the biggest RV manufacturing company and owns keystone, forrest river, jayco, etc. Due to this fact they have their entire staff working as much as they can to process these orders. As with anything quality goes down with volume. This can be easily seen in forum reviews/complaints and overall customer satisfaction surveys. 2. With the covid shutdown certain materials became almost unavailable. This has caused rv manufactures to utilize "alternative" resources to complete the job. One of the major impacts were on refrigerators. Some manufactures are pitching a frig that runs off electric alone and throwing in a free solar panel to entice buyers to consider this. The problem is that the solar panel is not strong enough to keep up with demands and you typically have to do a significant battery upgrade to make it all work. I like to boondock so this just does not work for me, unless I upgrade the solar adequately. 3. The pricing of RVs are through the roof. This is mainly due to the supply issue as stated before. When they have a model that was not preordered to exact specs for a person, that unit will have 4 or 5 families waiting to purchase it. I have also heard that some rv sales divisions are forcing people to order a new unit vs being able to take the lot unit home just so they sales lot has something to show to customers that walk in. In other words, expect to pay a premium for a unit that will more than likely have quality issues above and beyond what is normal. 4. Most warranties are a gimmick. They also become increasingly more difficult to be honored if the repairing facility is not the same facility you bought the unit at. I recommend when you buy a RV it will also be the one that will be repairing it when you have an issue. Never buy a specific unit just for the warranty.

My bet is the market will flood with used units for sale once covid restrictions lighten up. I also believe you will see precovid units sell for more than 2020 models.

If I HAD to buy I would stick with outdoors rv, or northwood. They are smaller manufactures that do not experience the level of corporate influences other manufactures have. Just my 2 cents.

Offline ucwarden

• Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2021, 09:26:53 AM »
Look into Outdoors Rv and Northwood mfg. both quality Rv made in Oregon built for camping in the Northwest. If you’re interested in quality you have to look into there models. :twocents:

Outdoors RV trailers are awesome.  They are well built, rugged, and very well designed.

Offline Robinhood

• Tracker
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2021, 01:02:49 PM »
I looked at a bunch of trailers and the best quality IMO were Jayco, and Grand design. I ended up with a Grand Design, 31' and love it.

Online trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2021, 01:38:17 PM »
Outdoors rv!
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2021, 01:50:14 PM »
I looked at a bunch of trailers and the best quality IMO were Jayco, and Grand design. I ended up with a Grand Design, 31' and love it.

Grand Design is top notch !  Their 5th wheels are awesome.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2021, 02:04:53 PM »
Grand Design's are awesome, but you pay for it.

I've had a pretty good time with our Jayco. 

The biggest thing you have to wrap your head around is that these things are going to break no matter how good you are.  You're essentially putting a lightly built house on wheels and giving it the same effect as a continuous earthquake while rolling down the highway.  Stuff happens.  Get good at Google and be ok with spending some cash every now and then on spare parts and tools to throw in the trailer after learning hard lessons.  Be comfortable with dealing with your family's poop (literally) because black water tanks can get involved.

Go into it with the right mindset and you'll be fine.  You're an outdoorsy guy who is pretty handy so I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2021, 02:46:20 PM »
My brother did RV repair for a little while. He belives most are junk, but if parked under cover and resealed regularly new ones don't deteriorate as quick. Once leaky the developer rot and mold very easily.

The fiberglass shells are expensive but made right. Less leak prone, stiffer and hold value. Buddy had his PU camper burn up, to try and replace it with another he was gonna pay the same price for a 20 year old one... same age and cost he purchased new 20 years ago...

Good luck with your search.

@HappyGillmore has a small tow behind. I think it is a Casita.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline huntandjeep

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2021, 07:58:44 PM »
We were in the same boat 5 years ago . We wanted a 26-28'. Looked at a ton of trailers from every manufacturer.  Every one of them we hated the always down master bed in the front . Felt like such wasted space . Found a new Jayco Whitehawk 24MBH . Bought it on the spot.  The master bed is still in the front but it's a  Murphy bed . When its folded up we have a couch and actually more useaable floor space in the 24' trailer then the bigger ones .  Have not had 1 problem with the Jayco . Only thing we regret is the outdoor kitchen . We have a Camp Chef and Blackstone and have never used the stove or sink . The fridge gets used on rare occasions when we are hooked up to shore power.  Hindsite we would have had that deleted for more storage .

Anyone that thinks a Glock is better than a 1911 paints his toenails.
Yakima Valley Mountaineers

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2021, 08:28:53 PM »
My advise is? 
Western Washington is brutal on RV's, they will all leak and usually doesn't take them long. Unless you have a roof to store them under. Otherwise the two best days of your RV life will be the day you buy it and the day you sell it. Sorry if this has been covered I didn't read the whole thread.  :twocents:
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline Netminder01

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2021, 11:24:51 AM »
Josh - we should connect! I'm still in the shopping phase for my enclosed trailer; based on my research it will hold up better for the mixed-use - and terrain it will be in. Travel trailers for the price I'm at seemed to be lacking. I'm going with an all-aluminum structure before building out the interior.

The problem I'm having is quality inventory; I was going out to Boulder, CO to find one that fit my specs.

Offline Hitsman3

• Pilgrim
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2021, 07:59:50 AM »
Agree with the Grand Design! We've had ours a year now and love it! They are known to be good to work with on any warranty issues. We did like the Outdoors RV's we looked at but they were damn proud of them & weren't looking to spend that much $.  No matter what you get make sure to have somewhere to park it under cover, it will make a huge difference.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]