collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 18 Quality Deer Points..... Where would you go?  (Read 16374 times)

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: 18 Quality Deer Points..... Where would you go?
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2021, 12:13:38 PM »
It's earlier in the thread, at 18 points the odds of drawing aren't good at all.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2021, 12:24:11 PM »
But Montana is one of the more expensive options. That's why I haven't done Montana yet, other than antelope 20 years ago. I get more meat per dollar in Wyoming, so I've been going there every year. Montana is definitely better if you're after antlers, but I hunt for meat.

If you are just after pounds of meat per dollar, it's pretty hard to beat hunting in state.  It's not that hard to kill a deer every year and be consistent with elk as well.  For a couple hundred bucks I've been getting hundreds of lbs of meat a year each year for a long time.

That said, I'm going to Montana this year for the first time.  I'm ready for a new experience and don't care about the cost vs. lbs of meat.

I sure can't count on getting an elk in Washington every year. I got one this year, but the one before that was in 2012. And deer, yes I can usually get one every year (except this year because I didn't really try) but that's still just 50 pounds of meat. Which is why I hunt out of state. And yes, it's also for the experience. If it wasn't, I'd be buying my meat at Safeway. But $700 for a deer tag? That's ridiculous.

To get back in topic, with 18 points I'd simply pick a good deer unit that has the most permits relative to the number of applicants. Which is what I always do anyway, regardless of how many points I have. I'll have 9 points for quality deer this year, maybe that will be enough? It used to be I'd draw every 4 years, now maybe that's gone up to 8?

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2021, 12:25:12 PM »
Here's the real question, why do we keep putting in, keep accumulating points, keep giving a worthless fish and game department our money, when we all think its a terrible idea and that we'll never draw.  Are we just addicted to watching our points increase?  How many of us are not taking our very own advice here?

I hope you draw, as most of the rest of us also hope to as well.

Offline dvolmer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2021, 12:26:54 PM »
Man I'm lost..

I thought this was about how to burn 18 points in wa... :o

:chuckle:

Get with the times! Obviously the best way to burn wa points is to spend $2790 to go hunt out of state because cheap meat!  :chuckle:

As long as im reading correctly.

Anybody that hunts big game in Washington or any other state that is, for "cheap meat" has lost their minds!  No matter what you are paying to hunt, wild game is not cheap!  All we are arguing here is if you want to spend $25 a pound or $125 a pound!!!  Ha Ha!!  In todays world, wild game meat is a bi-product of your sport.

Zonk Volmer

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2021, 12:29:50 PM »
Here's the real question, why do we keep putting in, keep accumulating points, keep giving a worthless fish and game department our money, when we all think its a terrible idea and that we'll never draw.  Are we just addicted to watching our points increase?  How many of us are not taking our very own advice here?

I gave up two years ago for that very reason.  I likely won't draw a quality tag and I don't want to keep sending WDFW the message "doing great, keep up the good work."

In addition to that, with three license purchases in our house it gets expensive.

I'll put my son in for youth draws as they are still decent since people age out every year and it's not the same circus as adults, but when he ages out he'll be off the payroll for me in WA.

Yeah, a $700 tag is expensive.  So is going to Disney, skiing, going on a charter fishing trip and tons of other things I've done in the past.  $100 a day is pretty average for something I really like.

It's not for everyone, if I grew up hunting in WA and had it figured out I would likely think differently.  It became overly obvious that I was better off learning ground in another state.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2021, 12:30:27 PM »
So when I go to Wyoming and come home every time with 150 to 200 pounds of meat, I consider the meat to be free. The money I spent was for my vacation and would get spent on another kind of vacation if I wasn't into hunting.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2021, 01:04:38 PM »

I only apply for permits of critters that I plan to also hunt in the general season. It is then just a few extra bucks to maybe draw a tag. If I do finally draw, I am out. Currently I only apply for quality deer
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2021, 01:17:54 PM »

I didn't see anyone telling him not to apply. What we are saying is you can't count on it or plan for it. Its just another opportunity to win a good hunt. The more opportunities you apply for the better your odds of winning a tag. Put in for WA. Put in for MT. Buy an idaho tag. And since you would then have an idaho license, put in for their draws as well  :twocents:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2021, 01:25:30 PM »
Man I'm lost..

Get with the times! Obviously the best way to burn wa points is to spend $2790 to go hunt out of state because cheap meat!  :chuckle:

Anybody that hunts big game in Washington or any other state that is, for "cheap meat" has lost their minds!  No matter what you are paying to hunt, wild game is not cheap!  All we are arguing here is if you want to spend $25 a pound or $125 a pound!!!  Ha Ha!!  In todays world, wild game meat is a bi-product of your sport.

I disagree that you cant get a lot of cheap meat hunting in state. I can buy an elk license for 30 dollars and if I choose to shoot a cow in my area I shouldn't have to travle much or need much gas money and can just stay in my house for lodging. If i add 20 bucks for gas thats 50 dollars for around 160lbs of meat off cow? Thats like 30 cents per pound if I process the meat myself. When I go to Montana, I agree with you that meats expensive but I agree most of us would spend more on other vacations if we didn't hunt. Sportsman pack in Idaho is 125 bucks and you get a bear,turkey,deer,lion and a wolf tag. Thats a lot of meat minus the wolf       

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2021, 01:27:50 PM »
Back to OP
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2021, 01:40:45 PM »
Man I'm lost..

I disagree that you cant get a lot of cheap meat hunting in state. I can buy an elk license for 30 dollars and if I choose to shoot a cow in my area I shouldn't have to travle much or need much gas money and can just stay in my house for lodging. If i add 20 bucks for gas thats 50 dollars for around 160lbs of meat off cow? Thats like 30 cents per pound if I process the meat myself. When I go to Montana, I agree with you that meats expensive but I agree most of us would spend more on other vacations if we didn't hunt. Sportsman pack in Idaho is 125 bucks and you get a bear,turkey,deer,lion and a wolf tag. Thats a lot of meat minus the wolf       
is MT really that crazy per pound though. Given my above scenario where a guy spends $900 to go to MT, shoots a buck, and ends up with 80lb of finished product (add in $30 of pork for burger) thats $11.62 a pound.

If you truly just wanted cheap meat, round up buddies, buy 4 MT doe tags for $80 a pop and spend that same $100 on gas.  Thats $420 for 200lb+ of meat.  Thats $2.10 a pound. I challenge anyone to go buy 200lb of premium steaks and quality lean ground beef for less money....
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2021, 01:42:29 PM »
Back to OP
but yes, we have digressed into a completely different topic.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2021, 01:56:07 PM »

Because somebody has to win! It's not that expensive to put in a bunch of apps and it is in our home state. I wish it were a different system but as things stand, I still get a bunch of chances. Low odds but pretty low investment too.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2021, 02:14:58 PM »
DIY Meat and fish are very cheap if your good at it 😏

Offline Westside88

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2021, 02:27:32 PM »
I saw a good post on an Eastman's post a while back. They used the term paralysis by analysis to describe that feeling when you have so many points that you want to make sure to spend them on the perfect hunt. So you end up applying for points many years and get fixated on the perfect unit. I'm right there with Quality and Bull elk points. In fact up until this year I wouldn't apply for both the same year in case I were to get drawn for both. I'm done with that, I'll be applying in units I want to hunt and if I get lucky I get lucky. If I draw both, oh well there's never any guarantees anyway.
To the OP, I'd ask yourself what your favorite type of hunting and terrain are, of course you want somewhere that has good animals available, but the hunt and atmosphere is what makes the memories. I was fortunate to draw a quality deer tag a few years ago. There's a good chance i never will again, but I sure hope my dad or one of my friends do because being out there in prime time with less hunters around is an amazing experience. Somebody is going to be drawn, why not you? good luck

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]