collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 18 Quality Deer Points..... Where would you go?  (Read 16375 times)

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: 18 Quality Deer Points..... Where would you go?
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2021, 02:40:46 PM »
Man I'm lost..

I thought this was about how to burn 18 points in wa... :o

:chuckle:

Get with the times! Obviously the best way to burn wa points is to spend $2790 to go hunt out of state because cheap meat!  :chuckle:

As long as im reading correctly.

Anybody that hunts big game in Washington or any other state that is, for "cheap meat" has lost their minds!  No matter what you are paying to hunt, wild game is not cheap!  All we are arguing here is if you want to spend $25 a pound or $125 a pound!!!  Ha Ha!!  In todays world, wild game meat is a bi-product of your sport.

I disagree that you cant get a lot of cheap meat hunting in state. I can buy an elk license for 30 dollars and if I choose to shoot a cow in my area I shouldn't have to travle much or need much gas money and can just stay in my house for lodging. If i add 20 bucks for gas thats 50 dollars for around 160lbs of meat off cow? Thats like 30 cents per pound if I process the meat myself. When I go to Montana, I agree with you that meats expensive but I agree most of us would spend more on other vacations if we didn't hunt. Sportsman pack in Idaho is 125 bucks and you get a bear,turkey,deer,lion and a wolf tag. Thats a lot of meat minus the wolf       
is MT really that crazy per pound though. Given my above scenario where a guy spends $900 to go to MT, shoots a buck, and ends up with 80lb of finished product (add in $30 of pork for burger) thats $11.62 a pound.

If you truly just wanted cheap meat, round up buddies, buy 4 MT doe tags for $80 a pop and spend that same $100 on gas.  Thats $420 for 200lb+ of meat.  Thats $2.10 a pound. I challenge anyone to go buy 200lb of premium steaks and quality lean ground beef for less money....

I agree totally on the condition that you explain the economics of hunting to my wife  :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2021, 03:02:00 PM »
Man I'm lost..

I thought this was about how to burn 18 points in wa... :o

Get with the times! Obviously the best way to burn wa points is to spend $2790 to go hunt out of state because cheap meat!  :chuckle:

As long as im reading correctly.

Anybody that hunts big game in Washington or any other state that is, for "cheap meat" has lost their minds!  No matter what you are paying to hunt, wild game is not cheap!  All we are arguing here is if you want to spend $25 a pound or $125 a pound!!!  Ha Ha!!  In todays world, wild game meat is a bi-product of your sport.

I disagree that you cant get a lot of cheap meat hunting in state. I can buy an elk license for 30 dollars and if I choose to shoot a cow in my area I shouldn't have to travle much or need much gas money and can just stay in my house for lodging. If i add 20 bucks for gas thats 50 dollars for around 160lbs of meat off cow? Thats like 30 cents per pound if I process the meat myself. When I go to Montana, I agree with you that meats expensive but I agree most of us would spend more on other vacations if we didn't hunt. Sportsman pack in Idaho is 125 bucks and you get a bear,turkey,deer,lion and a wolf tag. Thats a lot of meat minus the wolf       
is MT really that crazy per pound though. Given my above scenario where a guy spends $900 to go to MT, shoots a buck, and ends up with 80lb of finished product (add in $30 of pork for burger) thats $11.62 a pound.

If you truly just wanted cheap meat, round up buddies, buy 4 MT doe tags for $80 a pop and spend that same $100 on gas.  Thats $420 for 200lb+ of meat.  Thats $2.10 a pound. I challenge anyone to go buy 200lb of premium steaks and quality lean ground beef for less money....

Don’t forget the cost of the vehicle, wear and tear, cost of the gear you use.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2021, 03:06:49 PM »
Those aren't costs of a trip unless you are purchasing them for that trip. My 300wsm i bought 10 years ago can't count as a $1,000 cost on every trip i go on.  You could sell me on an oil change being a cost but thats about it.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2021, 03:29:14 PM »
Those aren't costs of a trip unless you are purchasing them for that trip. My 300wsm i bought 10 years ago can't count as a $1,000 cost on every trip i go on.  You could sell me on an oil change being a cost but thats about it.

:chuckle: So you’re saying my first salmon trip is the only one I have to consider the cost of my boat, downriggers, sonar, etc. from now on huh?

My wife would disagree.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Online Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2021, 03:35:59 PM »
You're comparing apples to oranges. A fishing boat is used exclusively for fishing. A vehicles is something you own regardless of hunting. My truck takes ne to work, the store, over mountain passes to visit family, taking the kids skiing, camping, the dump, to haul dogs to the lake to swim, etc, etc, etc. Low on the list of uses is miles driven for hunting.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2021, 04:36:01 PM »
Good thing the guy didn't ask where to burn 20 quality elk points...

Speaking of which..... :tung:

Online High Climber

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2021, 04:43:31 PM »
Good thing the guy didn't ask where to burn 20 quality elk points...

Speaking of which..... :tung:
I’ve got 22... please advise!   

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2021, 04:47:36 PM »
You're comparing apples to oranges. A fishing boat is used exclusively for fishing. A vehicles is something you own regardless of hunting. My truck takes ne to work, the store, over mountain passes to visit family, taking the kids skiing, camping, the dump, to haul dogs to the lake to swim, etc, etc, etc. Low on the list of uses is miles driven for hunting.

I like the way you think.  My boat goes tubing, sightseeing, stores stuff over the winter, keeps me from speeding on the interstate and is basically paid for itself I think.  Probably time to invest more.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2021, 05:18:52 PM »
I think you need to apply for the Entiat, Desert to name just a couple
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline jstone

• Old Salt
« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2021, 05:43:31 PM »
I have boated someone up chelas before with the Manson tag. Only in nice COLD weather

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2021, 06:11:53 PM »

the gun is an investment. I have never lost money on a gun I have sold. It is not even a cost of hunting its an investment!!  :chuckle: :chuckle:  to the op I would apply entiat and desert but all my knowledge was gained from looking at pictures on this website ha ha and I have never deer hunted in washington so theres that too.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2021, 06:48:57 PM »
I have boated someone up chelas before with the Manson tag. Only in nice COLD weather
My friend rubs a fishing charter on lake Chelan. The member of deer he now sees on the lake is abysmal. He even runs up lake in Dec to see the migrators down by the lake and in his words it's depressing.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2021, 07:06:11 PM »
I don’t hunt for cheap meat I hunt for expensive horns  :sry:

And the only time it takes two days to Eastern Montana is in an ice storm otherwise we drive 13 hrs and a 1000 miles straight only stopping for fuel.

That said put in for the desert unit  :chuckle:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 07:16:26 PM by M_ray »
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Online Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2021, 07:13:11 PM »
The don’t hunt for cheap meat I hunt for expensive horns  :sry:

And the only time it takes two days to Eastern Montana is in an ice storm otherwise we drive 13 hrs and a 1000 miles straight only stopping for fuel.

That said put in for the desert unit  :chuckle:

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2021, 07:14:38 PM »
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]