collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Spring bear and color phase bears  (Read 3737 times)

Offline cougforester

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
Re: Spring bear and color phase bears
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2021, 12:48:20 PM »
From my observations in Wa state, it seems like the areas with thick dense timber have darker Bears. As the canopy opens up the coats lighten up.

I agree completely on this. I hunt within a couple GMUs of where you are and our hypothesis has been color phase bears blend into more exposed soils better and also wouldn't get as hot as a black coat would.

However the areas I hunt were burned 20-30 years ago and still have some stumps and logs left, and the few black bears that are out there sure are hard to find amongst those. I get fooled by ole stump bears quite often!

Offline Weatherby92

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2021, 01:21:23 PM »
From my observations in Wa state, it seems like the areas with thick dense timber have darker Bears. As the canopy opens up the coats lighten up.

I agree completely on this. I hunt within a couple GMUs of where you are and our hypothesis has been color phase bears blend into more exposed soils better and also wouldn't get as hot as a black coat would.

However the areas I hunt were burned 20-30 years ago and still have some stumps and logs left, and the few black bears that are out there sure are hard to find amongst those. I get fooled by ole stump bears quite often!

I agree with the above statements. In the NE corner i have observed about 50/50 color phase bears. The drier environments provide more opportunity for color phase.
Do the thing you fear most and the death of fear is certain - Mark Twain

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2021, 01:43:51 PM »
In south central wa it seems about 40% black, 40% brown and 20% cinnamon. For some reason and maybe it’s just my experience but all the black bears I have killed have nice thick coats. And the brown bears are thinner and less attractive for mounts. But man I have some beautiful thick coated cinnamon pics. Still haven’t lucked into one yet. Besides this mixed sow.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2021, 01:49:52 PM »
I've yet to kill a black, all have been color phase, Chocolates, a jet blond, cinnamons.

I'm with Karl; give me giant black, before this ride is over.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal