collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: HB 1261 Would Increase Penalty for Failing to Report Harvest from $10 to $20  (Read 7533 times)

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
The fiscal note for this bill has been published. WDFW currently sees approximately a 40% noncompliance rate when it comes to reporting hunting tags.

It should be noted that under the current law only those who fail to report and purchase a tag the following year are fined the $10. So if you fail to report your 2019 deer tag and buy a 2020 deer tag you are fined $10, but if you don't buy a deer tag in 2020 but do buy a deer tag in 2021 you are not fined. This bill will change this loophole and you would be fined $20 in the next year you buy the same tag.

In 2020 WDFW received $576,310 in fines for failing to report tags. WDFW assumes that increasing the fine amount will lead to better compliance, however closing the aforementioned loophole will also increase the amount of fines collected. It is believed this bill will lead to an additional $457,000 given to WDFW via the administrative fines.

Offline ne kid

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
I'm sure the extra money will be put to good use. LOL

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
I'm sure the extra money will be put to good use. LOL

Yea so they can buy up more land and post it authorized vehicles only  yet allow skinney skier groomers to groom trails
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
Once again....Absolutely not!!!! Until they can accurately track it and be accountable, Absolutely not!!!
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
They need to fix the system first. I guess maybe no one has fought the fine but it would seem pretty easy to do based on the chronic issues that seem to plague the reporting system.

I've been charged a couple times since they implemented the fine and Im religious about reporting. It's also happened with crab catch records. 

I find it hard to believe that only 6 out of 10 hunter's report.
And how in the heck do they come up with harvest stats and set seasons with that low percentage of reporting... something doesn't add up.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
 :yeah: I literally had all my confirmation numbers from my reports and they wouldn't wave it. They've lost a good amount of money from that $10 fine as I continue to scale back on tags and apps family wide.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
:yeah: I literally had all my confirmation numbers from my reports and they wouldn't wave it. They've lost a good amount of money from that $10 fine as I continue to scale back on tags and apps family wide.

If you had conformation numbers and they didnt take care of it that is BS!
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt

Yup .
I screenshot my reports but unfortunately the poor gals at the local sportsman's don't have a say in it.. computer tells them to charge the fine...and who has the time to call wdfw and try and fight the fine...

Well, I guess I do now if it happens again... :chuckle:

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
I wonder if its my cougar tag doing it, I hold that open (unreported) way after I have bought my licenses for tbe following year cause I'm still hunting it.

And they ding me that 10 bux religiously

So done with this state, guess I'll report cougar with the rest of my tags

"Did not hunt"  save me 20 bux

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
I wonder if its my cougar tag doing it, I hold that open (unreported) way after I have bought my licenses for tbe following year cause I'm still hunting it.

Cat tags do not have mandatory reporting because they require pelt sealing
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline bbarnes

• Longhunter
    • Mt Saint Helens Rescue .com
Most hunters don't turn in there reports in the corect GMU anywaY.Hunters don't want others to read the units the most wildlife is being harvested it FLOODS the GMU with hunters FYI!!!!!

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer

Cat tags do not have mandatory reporting because they require pelt sealing
Changed last year or maybe the year before.  Pelt sealing is for the successful.  The harvest reports get data like GMU and days of effort even for the unsuccessful.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]