collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Claiming residence in another state  (Read 9505 times)

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Claiming residence in another state
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2021, 09:51:27 AM »
 :yeah:

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2021, 12:53:37 PM »
I know a guy who does it. Sounded pretty easy when he was talking about it. He’s in his 60’s and says “what are they going to do? Take my birthday away?” Lol

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2021, 01:10:05 PM »
I know a guy who does it. Sounded pretty easy when he was talking about it. He’s in his 60’s and says “what are they going to do? Take my birthday away?” Lol

Does what ? If he’s claiming resident status and not living there 6 months or more they won’t take away his birthday but they will take his hunting privileges away for years in multiple states along with generous fines. I still believe op wants to legitimately become a resident of Idaho or Montana but work in Washington and possibly spend time there as well

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2021, 01:21:17 PM »
People do it all the time in both directions, both with ID and OR.  You can easily live in one state and work in another, as mentioned taxes can be an issue so it makes sense to talk with a CPA before doing it as it could be more complicated than just comparing cost of living differences.

I used to work in Vancouver, WA and at our office probably 10-20% of the people lived in OR.  They paid OR income tax and the only issue was every once in a while they would get pulled over with OR plates in WA to make sure they really lived in OR and weren't trying to skip the nice WA plate fees by registering their vehicle in OR while residing in WA.

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2021, 01:30:43 PM »
Wow way to twist a simple question. It seems straightforward is it worth the state income tax and other costs to MOVE and become a resident of either Idaho or Montana. That is what I read from the op. He got everything from get a picture box (definitely the stupidest thing to try) to he’s admitting to a crime  :chuckle:The higher income you are the less the move makes sense. I have a freind in Lewiston area extremely high income and it made way more sense financially to move across the river into Washington. He could buy out of state tags in every state and still be ahead. Lots of median wage earners have done the math with cost of living, vehicle registration, property taxes etc and felt it was a push. I think the math will be harder to justify around coeur d Alene as property prices and property taxes are skyrocketing. You will have to do the math personally but I would just live exactly where I want and not worry to much about saving a few bucks.

Perhaps I read the OP wrong. I read it as he wants move eventually. But would like to pay taxes, fees to another state like a resident, to get status for resident tags in that state. While continuing to work and reside in Washington until ready to retire.

IMO the Huntwa legal team is probably not the best option. BUT if I were to pursue it I would start with a property purchase in the state you plan to go. That would at least establish a physical address and property tax. Might give you a single leg to stand on moving forward, then contact a reputable lawyer and find out if such a thing is a possibility.

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2021, 02:38:50 PM »

IMO the Huntwa legal team is probably not the best option.

This.

Offline andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2021, 03:42:49 PM »
Wow way to twist a simple question. It seems straightforward is it worth the state income tax and other costs to MOVE and become a resident of either Idaho or Montana. That is what I read from the op. He got everything from get a picture box (definitely the stupidest thing to try) to he’s admitting to a crime  :chuckle:The higher income you are the less the move makes sense. I have a freind in Lewiston area extremely high income and it made way more sense financially to move across the river into Washington. He could buy out of state tags in every state and still be ahead. Lots of median wage earners have done the math with cost of living, vehicle registration, property taxes etc and felt it was a push. I think the math will be harder to justify around coeur d Alene as property prices and property taxes are skyrocketing. You will have to do the math personally but I would just live exactly where I want and not worry to much about saving a few bucks.
I don’t read this first sentence “has anyone on here gone to the effort to change their residency to Idaho or Montana while continuing to work and earn a living in Washington” as a which state should I retire to question. Like my answer above stated unless he is planning to move and commute it is nothing more than admission to a crime in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CarbonHunter

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSB
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2021, 06:18:09 PM »
If I was to change my residence to another state it would be completely legal by going to the full effort and legal requirements for residence in another state. Please keep in mind this is very common in the United States that people own property in multiple states but are only residents of one state. Montana has it written into their law that you can leave the state for work without losing your residence as long as you intend to return to the state and continue to pay state taxes.

Yes I would have a vehicle and property in the state I choose to claim residence in and I would pay tax to that state. I’m not asking how to scam a resident tag as I do plan to start building my retirement house in another state while continuing to work at my current job. This is perfectly legal and I’m asking for experience from people who have made the move and when they chose to change their residence.

Offline bear

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2021, 06:20:39 PM »
You have to physically live in the state you are claiming residence

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2021, 06:25:32 PM »
You have to physically live in the state you are claiming residence

Not true, there are exceptions.  Good example is Trump was a resident of FL but lived in Washington, DC for several years.  Overseas troops are another example.  You can also be going to school somewhere and still be a resident of your home state, my wife lived in MT for four years but was a WA resident.

Offline bear

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2021, 06:27:51 PM »
I’m aware of the few exceptions

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2021, 07:13:19 PM »

IMO the Huntwa legal team is probably not the best option.

This.

Ask Matt Alwine.   It worked for him for at least a few years.

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2021, 10:33:39 PM »
 :yeah: That's the guy I was referring too.
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2021, 05:34:55 AM »
If I was to change my residence to another state it would be completely legal by going to the full effort and legal requirements for residence in another state. Please keep in mind this is very common in the United States that people own property in multiple states but are only residents of one state. Montana has it written into their law that you can leave the state for work without losing your residence as long as you intend to return to the state and continue to pay state taxes.

Yes I would have a vehicle and property in the state I choose to claim residence in and I would pay tax to that state. I’m not asking how to scam a resident tag as I do plan to start building my retirement house in another state while continuing to work at my current job. This is perfectly legal and I’m asking for experience from people who have made the move and when they chose to change their residence.
Just owning property, licensing vehicles and paying taxes while you are in the process of building a home will not make you a legal resident of either Montana or Idaho if you continue to live in Washington. Both states pretty plainly spell out that you must reside within the borders of the state for 6 months prior to gaining resident status for the purposes of hunting. So like I said above you can live in either state and commute to and from work but you cannot live in Washington whilst preparing to live in either state and legally have resident hunting privileges

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2021, 06:31:07 AM »

Just owning property, licensing vehicles and paying taxes while you are in the process of building a home will not make you a legal resident of either Montana or Idaho if you continue to live in Washington. Both states pretty plainly spell out that you must reside within the borders of the state for 6 months prior to gaining resident status for the purposes of hunting. So like I said above you can live in either state and commute to and from work but you cannot live in Washington whilst preparing to live in either state and legally have resident hunting privileges

:yeah: Idaho takes it seriously. I had a freind who was Idaho resident for 20-30 years buys his hunting tags as a resident then moved to apartment on Washington side of border because he sold his house in Idaho. They went after him for buying resident tags even though he was in the right and purchased the tags as a resident. They pay attention even though it’s probably a lot harder right now with thousands of new residents every day in Idaho

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal