collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Oregon rifle muledeer hunters? Results?  (Read 5370 times)

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
Re: Oregon rifle muledeer hunters? Results?
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2020, 08:29:33 PM »
That OTC archery hunt is gone starting next year. All draw for archery now in eastern Oregon.
Source for that please. All I seen was they were thinking about it but hadn't done it yet. Last I checked just a couple of weeks ago the comments against it was way more than for it.
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2020, 08:33:16 PM »
That OTC archery hunt is gone starting next year. All draw for archery now in eastern Oregon.
Source for that please. All I seen was they were thinking about it but hadn't done it yet. Last I checked just a couple of weeks ago the comments against it was way more than for it.

2021 all east side Oregon archery deer is controlled draw. That was already finalized.

2022 all east side Oregon archery elk is also planned to go controlled draw. But elk is still under review. Very likely to happen though.

Offline csaaphill

• Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2020, 08:34:27 PM »
What do you guys suspect to be behind the lack of seen animals?  Fires?  Cats?  Wolves?
all 3 probably.
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline csaaphill

• Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2020, 08:48:17 PM »
Not Out of state for me at least not since 2015 but I hunted the Columbia basin unit, and did see some deer but had to go to the side of the open to hunt area I was in that had the creek on it to see those. opening morning too hot 80 degress or more. Sunday I went to the side with the creek near the road and seen 9 but could never put horns on any but per the tracks one was but more likely small.
I knw deer are or already have thier fall and winter coats but I don't think they'd be as dark as what ever I seen Monday when I went. It was either a coyote or wolf, but could never make it out good enough to know for sure. Deer I know pretty much on spot, for I'd seen the one's I'd seen just the week before, and followed them and when I seen agian they were a heck of a lot further out than this thing I seen Monday. Only difference was the weather it was hot then and Monday was not too cold but windy and a bit rainy so...
So yeah dark in color and not big like a deer but big bodied so not sure but don't think it was a doe or deer but coyote or maybe wolf.
Looking forward to my Elk tag on the 28th. :tup: Spike only but...

Offline finnman

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
  • I gotcha where I want ya, now I'm gonna eat ya!
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2020, 03:00:47 PM »
What do you guys suspect to be behind the lack of seen animals?  Fires?  Cats?  Wolves?
Along with a harsh winter a year or two ago. It took the deer herds down in a lot of eastern Oregon.
My mom and step dad have hunted the Paulina unit for 30 years. It’s close so they hunt for a week then do drives from Bend to hunt more. Last year they saw 12 does all season. No bucks. Year prior 8 does, and one nice 4x4 he shot. If anyone has ever paid attention to the winter herds in the fort rock, wagon tire, silver lake areas, you know what I am saying.

Offline robescc

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2020, 12:18:14 PM »
My son, son in law and father in law had Owyhee tags last year. It was pretty bad. They only filled 2 of 3 tags and they shot forkies. After the hunt a guy said we should have tried hunting from a boat.

I have a Mt Emily late deer tag this year. I have been down twice learning the unit. The deer numbers are way down. I read where 2200 of their 3300 whitetails died from EHD. The mule deer supposedly faired better, but their numbers were already down.

We did awesome in the Owyhee this year, 6 for 6. I was the only one that hunted from the boat and shot a forky on day 4. I should have held out though. We got some really nice bucks in camp.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 01:19:10 PM by robescc »
I hunt therefore I am.

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2020, 07:06:20 PM »
Check the mule deer rifle success thread on iFish and compare it to past years...that’ll tell a story for ya.
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline Martinhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Whack em and stack em!!
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2021, 03:12:30 PM »
I'm with you, I'm so tired of reading these posts all over the internet of people saying no deer here no deer there, deer have gone extinct ect.. It's ridiculous. A guy could ask about the deer herd in a high fenced farm and everyone would say they all died from wolves  :chuckle:!! Tired of hearing it

Not sure where everyone was hunting, but the unit I hunt had a ton of bucks!  Seen many in the 160-170 range. Plus a few that absolutely blew my mind.  I of course shot a two point!!!  Deer numbers are just fine.
To God alone be the Glory!!

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal