collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: F150 Problem  (Read 3938 times)

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: F150 Problem
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2021, 11:46:22 AM »
I have one if you want to borrow, well broken in and proven.

https://www.amazon.com/Rugged-Ranch-Products-100063928-Squirrelinator/dp/B0046VJ8RU

I haven't found a trap for the lovely neighbors that feed them peanuts though.

Thanks, I'm ordering one right now on your recommendation.  What do you bait it with?

Small handful of any kind of nuts.  I drop some in the middle of the trap on the grass and trail a few into one of the doors.  Works fast if you put it where they frequent.  It doesn't take many nuts, I used too many outside the trap the first time and one pigged out and left.  Walmart had peanuts in the shell for super cheap, so I use those.  They are obviously pretty big and easily visible in the grass.

One time I had a squirrel in the trap and a feral cat showed up (I think the one that was digging my garden and leaving unpleasantries), so I put the cat trap out and bagged it too.  Sometimes it feels like I'm basically the neighborhood animal control person.

Online CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2021, 11:49:22 AM »

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2021, 11:50:17 AM »
To follow up, I got this into the local Ford service dept. and they did a great job working me in without an appointment.  They determined the problem was caused by rodents chewing on some of the wire bundles.  Best guess is squirrels because they left a bunch of peanuts behind.  They are fixing it as time permits.  Est. four- or five-hours labor, of course not covered by warranty.  I guess I can’t blame it on Ford. 

There will be retribution on those responsible.
Call your insurance company, should be covered under comp. I did this all the time and never had an issue with insurance not covering it.
I would bet rats and someone around you is feeding the squirrels peanuts and the rats are getting them and taking them with them.
Better figure out what and how and fix it or they will come right back and feast on the new wiring  :twocents: (seen it happen)
Have the shop put some rodent tape on the wiring, or if they wont do it yourself
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2021, 11:53:47 AM »
I think I need one of these as well.

https://www.airgundepot.com/seneca-double-shot-air-rifle.html

That would be faster, sometimes you get one in the trap and one on the trap and the second or third one usually don't want to go in as easily if there is one already in the trap.

Word of caution though, no matter how many I trap there seem to be a steady number in my yard, I'm not sure how that works but there are a never ending supply.

Online CP

• Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2021, 11:55:53 AM »
To follow up, I got this into the local Ford service dept. and they did a great job working me in without an appointment.  They determined the problem was caused by rodents chewing on some of the wire bundles.  Best guess is squirrels because they left a bunch of peanuts behind.  They are fixing it as time permits.  Est. four- or five-hours labor, of course not covered by warranty.  I guess I can’t blame it on Ford. 

Call your insurance company, should be covered under comp. I did this all the time and never had an issue with insurance not covering it.
I would bet rats and someone around you is feeding the squirrels peanuts and the rats are getting them and taking them with them.
Better figure out what and how and fix it or they will come right back and feast on the new wiring  :twocents: (seen it happen)
Have the shop put some rodent tape on the wiring, or if they wont do it yourself

The service manager said they using rodent tape.  He also suggested home owners insurance.  Auto sounds like a better idea.

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2021, 12:00:53 PM »

The service manager said they using rodent tape.  He also suggested home owners insurance.  Auto sounds like a better idea.
:tup:
I never had a customer use home owners always auto but who ever will pay works
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2021, 12:28:47 PM »

I had a friend who had the same problem with squirrels. Turned out his auto insurance covered the repairs. May be something to look into.

Auto or home owners insurance would likely cover it. Happens several times a year here. It pretty much only happens during the winter.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2021, 01:48:01 PM »
I'd be tempted to take the outer case off an extension cord and throw it under the truck for a little snack!
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal