collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Crabbing or razor clam openings?  (Read 5498 times)

Offline salmon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
Crabbing or razor clam openings?
« on: February 01, 2021, 10:03:40 PM »
Just wondering what the latest news is about this?

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Crabbing or razor clam openings?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 10:07:15 PM »
Long story short - WDFW will only open if every beach is safe and they aren't.  Even if they were all safe, the governor may keep them closed for COVID reasons.

So, I wouldn't load the shovel and waders in the truck quite yet.

Here are the toxin reports, for sure, nothing will happen until they are all in the green.

https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/basics/domoic-acid/levels

Offline Jake Dogfish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 11:48:26 AM »
I read they just tested crab on the 28th and they were still too high.  The commercial crab season has been delayed the longest ever.  WDFW is talking about opening it under a “evisceration order” where they will only sell cleaned crab.
Clams should be tested by mid month.  Highly doubtful a opener will happen anytime soon.
Environmentalist Fundamentalist

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 11:52:20 AM »
I had big plans this year to do some winter crabbing along with the typical razor clamming.  Too bad we won't get a window before the commercials go in.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 12:04:04 PM »
Hmm, something smells of covid......
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 12:22:09 PM »
WDFW has posted no new acid levels for over 3 weeks now for the beaches.  Just a guess on my part, but that doesn't sound good.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 02:00:29 PM »
Finally an update at least.  No data posted yet on levels.  This probably is not good.

"UPDATE February 2, 2021: WDFW is continuing to sample razor clams on a regular basis and will announce razor clam harvest dates when domoic acid levels drop on all beaches and the Washington Department of Health determines the clams are safe to eat. This message will be updated when more information is available."

Offline GASoline71

• Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/gary.strassburg.7?ref=bookmarks
  • Groups: Conservation Coalition of Washington, ABF WA Chapter, F4WM, WWC
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 10:03:44 AM »
This isn't the first time that Domoic Acid levels and PSP have been high for almost an entire clamming season.  Covid or no Covid... you don't want to eat tainted clams or crabs.

Gary
One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job. ~ Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Limhangerslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2021, 10:58:35 AM »
There’s a bloom on the outside, but not inside willapa where it’s warmer and more stagnant.  Weird!

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2021, 11:24:01 AM »
There’s a bloom on the outside, but not inside willapa where it’s warmer and more stagnant.  Weird!

Too many commercial shellfish interests inside Willapa for there to be problems. 

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2021, 11:29:24 AM »
This isn't the first time that Domoic Acid levels and PSP have been high for almost an entire clamming season.  Covid or no Covid... you don't want to eat tainted clams or crabs.

Gary

Yeah, if history is an indicator, it could be around for much longer than any of us want to think about.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2021, 12:09:06 PM »

Gary

Yeah, if history is an indicator, it could be around for much longer than any of us want to think about.
I know my memory is bad but at 51 I don't ever recall closures this long due to acid levels. 

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2021, 12:10:12 PM »
51 and your memory is bad? :chuckle: :chuckle:
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2021, 12:17:12 PM »
Since 1991, when the toxin was first detected on the Pacific Coast, outbreaks of domoic acid have prompted the cancellation of three entire razor-clam seasons in Washington — the last one in 2002-03. Twin Harbors Beach never opened in 2015-2016. The entire coast was also closed in late May of 2015 when domoic acid spiked well above the cut-off threshold.

http://www.theoutdoorline.com/blog/post/2021/01/18/hope-possibly-on-the-horizon-for-coastal-razor-clams-and-best-fishing-choices-are-east-of-the-cascades-for-big-trout-and-kokanee.aspx

WDFW has stated they will either open all of them or none of them during COVID, so it could be even worse than in the past when some were opened while others were still dangerous.

As it sits, three entire seasons have been cancelled due to red tide and Twin Harbors was over the safe limit for 2 years.... :o

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2021, 12:23:09 PM »
51 and your memory is bad? :chuckle: :chuckle:
BAD!  Too many coors lights, must be the aluminum !!  :chuckle:

Offline Moe the Sleaze

• Hunter
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2021, 12:47:08 PM »
I do not trust the state with its Domoic acid testing. Why all the local differences from time to time.? Are all the beaches being tested at the same labs, by the same technicians, using the same methodology? Correctly?

Or do the sometimes widely varying numbers/trends just indicate the sample is being tested by some "newbie", using the wrong reagent/chemistry/procedure?

Or that the state finds this an easy way to manipulate the masses....???

My BS indicator always beeps when this testing comes up.

Offline GASoline71

• Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2021, 01:44:19 PM »

Gary

I know my memory is bad but at 51 I don't ever recall closures this long due to acid levels.

2002 was one I believe and 2015ish was another.

Gary
One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job. ~ Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2021, 01:56:36 PM »
I do not trust the state with its Domoic acid testing. Why all the local differences from time to time.? Are all the beaches being tested at the same labs, by the same technicians, using the same methodology? Correctly?

Or do the sometimes widely varying numbers/trends just indicate the sample is being tested by some "newbie", using the wrong reagent/chemistry/procedure?

You really think the State doesn't want the beaches open? Biggest survey of clams they've ever had.... They even started the season early this year to take advantage of it.  The Quinaults are shut down and they are part of the management and testing regime. You think they want to be shut down? Or do you think they are part of some conspiracy? Good grief.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2021, 01:59:15 PM »

Gary

Gary

Go back farther and it was NIX....... Nuclear Inclusion X.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline Moe the Sleaze

• Hunter
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2021, 03:19:23 PM »

You really think the State doesn't want the beaches open? Biggest survey of clams they've ever had.... They even started the season early this year to take advantage of it.  The Quinaults are shut down and they are part of the management and testing regime. You think they want to be shut down? Or do you think they are part of some conspiracy? Good grief.

I do not know why they wouldn't want the beaches open. I suspect there is no conspiracy. All I know is my BS indicator beeped. Just sayin.

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2021, 03:23:07 PM »
OR and BC were in the same situation as of a couple weeks ago. Haven't checked since then. I doubt seriously they are all holding out for some nefarious reason. If it were safe,  the beaches would be open.

Offline Encore 280

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Encore 280
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2021, 04:55:05 PM »
There must be some type of fishery going on out of Westport. I check the Westport Live Web cam quite a bit and see what appears to be crabbers going out and coming every couple of days. Just watched one come in a few minutes ago. I've seen as many as 5 out there at one time heading for the deep blue. Damned if I know. :dunno:

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2021, 05:18:34 PM »
10,000 - 20,000 reasons for them to open it in the form of licenses.

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2021, 05:44:31 PM »
There must be some type of fishery going on out of Westport. I check the Westport Live Web cam quite a bit and see what appears to be crabbers going out and coming every couple of days. Just watched one come in a few minutes ago. I've seen as many as 5 out there at one time heading for the deep blue. Damned if I know. :dunno:

Could be boats that fish Oregon. Maybe they are running crab up to Westport to deliver.

Offline brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2021, 06:06:55 PM »
i called a place in westport a couple days ago and they are getting crab from Oregon.  Called a place in Olympia and he said their crab is from Blaine
beer---it's whats for dinner

Offline GASoline71

• Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2021, 08:31:42 AM »

Gary

Gary

Go back farther and it was NIX....... Nuclear Inclusion X.

Oh there are more lengthy season closures due to toxins if you go further into the archives... just didn't feel the need to post them all. :)

Gary

Offline Encore 280

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2021, 09:22:55 AM »
Doesn't seem very cost affective to me to be running from Westport all the way to Oregon and back to Westport to deliver crab unless they're getting a really really good price for the product. Something fishy going on.  :chuckle:

Offline msg

• Hunter
    • NA
  • Groups: NA
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2021, 09:59:07 AM »
I stayed in Birch Bay a couple of summers ago while working. Birch Bay has a very good population of butters, steamers and some horse clams. I followed WDFW website almost daily hoping they would open it up. Every clam beach from Birch Bay to Southern Hoods Canal was closed due to poor water quality. I don't remember their terminology. However none of the commercial operations were closed for business. They finally did open it up for about a month. There must be much better water at Taylor Shellfish and others!

Offline lastmk8

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2021, 11:23:17 AM »
sWho knows when we will get to dig the Razor's again.  I do know they have had hardly any attention in 11 months so if we get to finally get out there, who knows what we will come out with.  Until then, I'm loading up on those little steamers, couple of limits yesterday afternoon, and don't know that today will be any different.

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2021, 04:54:25 PM »
Doesn't seem very cost affective to me to be running from Westport all the way to Oregon and back to Westport to deliver crab unless they're getting a really really good price for the product. Something fishy going on.  :chuckle:

Chuckle all you want, It's closer to Oregon from Westport than is it to Kalaloch, let alone La Push Or Cape Flattery. In fact from Westport, it's not much farther to Oregon than it is to Taholah.  The distance from Westport to La Push is about equal distance as Westport to Nehalem, Oregon, and Tillamook isn't much farther.  And from Tillamook, it's about 50 more miles to Newport.  Newport to Westport is about 150 miles or less than a day's run for most crab boats. If you pack 50,000 lbs of crab and you have a market in Westport that will pay you 50 cent a lb more than you can get in Newport, believe me, you will run your crab to Westport. That's $25,000 more for your load. And the crew likes it because they make more money and get some sleep while trading off on wheel watches. It happens a lot.

Offline Jake Dogfish

• Frontiersman
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2021, 07:17:59 PM »

Chuckle all you want, It's closer to Oregon from Westport than is it to Kalaloch, let alone La Push Or Cape Flattery. In fact from Westport, it's not much farther to Oregon than it is to Taholah.  The distance from Westport to La Push is about equal distance as Westport to Nehalem, Oregon, and Tillamook isn't much farther.  And from Tillamook, it's about 50 more miles to Newport.  Newport to Westport is about 150 miles or less than a day's run for most crab boats. If you pack 50,000 lbs of crab and you have a market in Westport that will pay you 50 cent a lb more than you can get in Newport, believe me, you will run your crab to Westport. That's $25,000 more for your load. And the crew likes it because they make more money and get some sleep while trading off on wheel watches. It happens a lot.
:yeah:
It’s no conspiracy, a lot of boats are based at Westport and they got to get some crab up here as well.  Crab is the biggest seafood industry in Washington so of course they want to open it up.
They like to have all the coast open at the same time to spread out the effort if possible.  If the Oregon and California fisheries close, many of those Crab boats will head here if it opens.
Environmentalist Fundamentalist

Offline Encore 280

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2021, 07:25:47 PM »
The prices are that much better in Westport than Ilwaco or any of the Oregon ports?   :dunno:

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2021, 12:15:05 AM »
The prices are that much better in Westport than Ilwaco or any of the Oregon ports?   :dunno:

Depends on markets. If a cannery up here has certain markets and they don't want to lose them because they aren't fishing up here, they will do what they have to do to get product. If you lose market share, it can be hard to get it back.  And if you lose your workforce because they go someplace else because you aren't processing, you may have trouble finding a crew to man your plant when fishing does start up here.  It's good to keep your crew working, not to mention your machinery. 

I know people who live tank crab on a trailer and haul them to California to sell because there is money in it.

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2021, 05:16:57 PM »
I did a horrible thing. I checked with WDFW first, then went and got a bunch of Sand Shrimp, cleaned them, battered, deep fried and ate them. Friends tried them as well. They taste like, well, shrimp. Have done it again since but skipped the batter and used just a bit of salt. I like them!
They filter/eat differently than razors or crab, so are Ok to eat. Or so I was told by three different biologists.
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand