collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New to the game - Beaver Suggestions?  (Read 1664 times)

Offline th3rug25

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
New to the game - Beaver Suggestions?
« on: February 02, 2021, 05:25:54 PM »
Hi all,

I am new to the trapping scene, and am interested in getting started by helping a friend remove a number of beavers from his property.

Does anyone have recommendations on trap type (swimthrough cages vs clamshell/bookcase), brand, size, or anywhere that I could find used traps for sale?

How necessary is lure, versus using aspen, alder or birch bows to attract them to the set.

Thanks,

JS

Offline wags

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Longhunter
Re: New to the game - Beaver Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 07:42:30 PM »
I can think of harder animals to start out a trapping career with, but starting on beaver might be a little tough. I'm not trying to discourage you from learning how to trap. But I think you need to take it a little more slowly. Attempting to take several problem beaver from your friends property without any previous experience is more than likely to educate them and make them next to impossible to trap in the future.

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 07:58:06 PM »
I would not recommend suitcase type traps especially to a beginner. If you do go this route do not buy any Bailey beaver traps, Hancock type only. Bailey's suck IMO.
I would suggest you either go swimthrough or a large single door. Depending on your location you may find use for both types.
Swimthroughs are best set in the water as a blind or trail set (channels usually). No lure or bait is needed.
Single doors are used with lure or bait out of the water. You need minimum 15x15. Lure is # 1 with bait being usually used as a change up. Best baits IMO are cottonwood, maple, apple in that order.
Brands, I am biased towards the ones I make but Comstocks are a good trap and really any others you might pick up that someone has home made will probably do you for beaver. Just make sure they operate smoothly before you buy if they are used.
Size, I make 11x11 and 11x17. Comstocks are similar in size 12x18. I used to make 10x10 and have seen 12x12s guys make. They all work. It just matters on what the place you are setting looks like. Some of each seems like a good idea to me so you have something to fit the channel. The larger size ones are a bit more versatile though. As I said single doors need to be minimum 15x15 but IMO bigger is better so 18x18 if you see them is better.
About the only place you generally get a chance at used is at a trappers Rendezvous.
I can think of harder animals to start out a trapping career with, but starting on beaver might be a little tough. I'm not trying to discourage you from learning how to trap. But I think you need to take it a little more slowly. Attempting to take several problem beaver from your friends property without any previous experience is more than likely to educate them and make them next to impossible to trap in the future.
I'm not so sure about that. We all had to start out somewhere. First animal I ever caught was a coyote. Not all of us have muskrat to start out on.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Grizzlybuiltcontracting

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: RMEF, BHA, WSTA, F4WM
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 08:57:35 PM »
I started out with beaver too. I Like swim through traps. I mostly run 10x20x40 and 10x12x36. I have good luck placing the traps in swim runs with or without a dive stick depending on the scenario, and in swim paths in front of lodges, and bank dens. I have also been successful with a dry land set with castor scent on a "Y" shaped twig hanging from the top of the trap, or a castor mound set in the trap. I have never used sticks/food before so i can not speak for that method. Due to the High cost of cage traps I build my own. It has taken some time, but I have finally refined it down to where I make a pretty light, strong, functioning trap. I really like the folding traps that Bruce (Humptulips) makes. If I was going to buy some traps I think I would Buy a couple of his.

Hope this helps
good luck.

Offline th3rug25

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 04:46:24 PM »
Thanks for the notes on the sizing, brands, and description of how to utilize the swimthroughs.

I ended up finding two Comstocks, and plan to get them set up tomorrow or Tuesday.

Will report back on any success I find.

Thanks again,

JS

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter