collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Thanks to Hunting, Conservation Funding Continues to Soar  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Thanks to Hunting, Conservation Funding Continues to Soar
« on: February 23, 2021, 06:34:47 AM »
Two new reports highlight how hunters continue to generate significant funding for conservation work.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, excise taxes on ammunition, long guns and pistols totaled more than $248.6 million dollars from July 1, 2020, through September 30, 2020. That equates to an increase of 58.5 percent over the same period in 2019. Those taxes are specifically designated by state wildlife agencies to pay for conservation.

Since the establishment of the Pittman-Robertson Act in 1937, purchases by hunters and those using ammunition and firearms generated $13.6 billion, thus marking the largest single source of funding for wildlife conservation.

According to a report by the Wildlife Management Institute, the generation of hunting and shooting related excise taxes is up across the board for ammunition, pistols and long guns, and archery equipment. Such funding generated more than $127.1 million from October 2020 through December 31, 2020.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Widgeondeke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
Re: Thanks to Hunting, Conservation Funding Continues to Soar
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 06:48:37 AM »
I know most of us here are hunters and would love to take all the credit, but I have a feeling all those new gun owners who are buying 9mm like it going out of style had some influence on these numbers.  :twocents:
It is not a bad thing and conservation can use all the help it can get, but how much will go to conserving predators or paying lawyers who sue the government as a full time job?  :bash:

Re: WA state gun sales - " In 2020, the state saw a rise in sales by +795%, with 9mm ammo increasing by over 1,377%. "

article that above quote came from https://www.khq.com/news/washington-state-reporting-some-of-the-highest-gun-sales-in-the-country/article_3bb5f534-74a1-11eb-8cf4-67ebd52e567f.html

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 08:43:07 AM »
how much will go to conserving predators or paying lawyers who sue the government as a full time job?  :bash:

This is the most concerning aspect of the Pittman Roberts funds that get raided for anti sportsmen activities. I wish we were more organized to shut off this gifting venue.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Hydrophilic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 12:37:39 PM »
how much will go to conserving predators or paying lawyers who sue the government as a full time job?  :bash:

This is the most concerning aspect of the Pittman Roberts funds that get raided for anti sportsmen activities. I wish we were more organized to shut off this gifting venue.

So which is it? Do hunters support conservation? Or do hunters support elk/deer conservation?

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 12:59:49 PM »

So which is it? Do hunters support conservation? Or do hunters support elk/deer conservation?

My quote is the problem. Funding organizations via lawsuits and billed time is wrong. Especially since the funds generated by sportsmen is used against them. If the $ was at least spent directly on non game animals could say we got something for it.

I've often wondered what the response would be if a hunting based off used the same funding tactics... would sportsmen abandon them? Or would they realize it was an attempt to force the bureaucracy back to its core mission.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal