collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Westport Jetty  (Read 10153 times)

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Westport Jetty
« on: February 05, 2021, 07:14:27 PM »
Anyone hit the jetty recently?

Looks like we might have some decent weather mid week next week.  Never fished the jetty before, but am thinking about giving it a shot if the conditions permit.  Usually my family hits Neah Bay in the spring, but COVID has caused a serious fish and chips drought in my household.

Any tips on what to expect in the winter on the jetty would be appreciated.  I think I've got the basic principles, which are: wear a life jacket, avoid big swells + outgoing tides, and be ready to break off a lot of gear.

Offline fast60eddie

• Scout
Re: Westport Jetty
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 08:05:53 PM »
I think the jetty is closed until sometime 3rd Saturday in March so you better check the regs.
Fast60eddie 

Offline TooTallMike

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 08:40:22 PM »
I think the jetty is closed until sometime 3rd Saturday in March so you better check the regs.
Fast60eddie

Stud stringer!!

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 10:43:17 PM »
Fast60eddie

Ahh, good call. Thanks for pointing that out. Was thinking it was year round for some reason but you’re right.

Offline Encore 280

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Encore 280
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 08:02:54 AM »
You can get real time conditions by checking the Westport Live Webcam.  :tup:

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 03:17:03 PM »
Great tip.  Hadn't seen that before.  I'm always wondering what X wind + X tide + X swell looks like.

Offline fast60eddie

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 07:13:24 PM »
I can barely wait for the opener. I like to look at the Solunar table zip code 98595, magic seaweed and saltwater tides. I also study the Jetty on google earth.

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2021, 07:16:41 PM »
I can barely wait for the opener. I like to look at the Solunar table zip code 98595, magic seaweed and saltwater tides. I also study the Jetty on google earth.

Do you have any hard rules on weather?  I.e. don't fish when the swells are a certain height or the current exchange is a certain number of feet?

Offline snarkybull

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2021, 09:15:29 AM »
It opens March 13 this year.  Second Saturday in March.
How long til elk season?!??

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2021, 10:10:46 AM »
Can’t wait for Neah bay!!!! 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline fast60eddie

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2021, 07:18:27 PM »

Do you have any hard rules on weather?  I.e. don't fish when the swells are a certain height or the current exchange is a certain number of feet?

I watch for small surfs. Waves 2 to 5’ I like to work a couple of hours before and after slack tide. I also use them winter spiky traction gizmos from Costco to not slip on the rocks. White/glo power grubs are good on 3/4 oz jig heads. I might be trying some cut bait this season. I would like a boat like snarkybull

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2021, 07:28:15 PM »
Can’t wait for Neah bay!!!!

Guna be some long runs again this year from CQ...but I prefer boating up anyway..

As for Westport jetty, watch for combine 8-12' seas max on average tide and 6-8' on high flood.
Noaa pinpoint forecast for the bar will tell you pretty accurate conditions, as will magic seaweed, and windyty.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 06:12:03 AM by fishngamereaper »

Offline snarkybull

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2021, 08:03:18 PM »

disclaimer: I fish the jetty from a boat so my knowledge/advice may not fully translate to fishing from the rocks.

To summarize, you need either the current to be slow (obviously slack tide is great) or you need the swell to be low.  And in both cases, you will want the wind to be manageable.

Current:  For fishing during non-slack, I try to find a day/time where the flood or ebb is less than 2 kts.  In a boat, I go to the submerged jetty during slack.

Swell:  I fish from a boat so am more susceptible to this than from the rocks, but the best places are farther out towards the tip.  Anything more than 7 feet is bad.

Wind: 10 mph is troublesome.  15 mph is bad.

The picture I posted earlier of my camera-shy daughter with a nice ling was taken on the OUTSIDE of the south jetty.  There are some good fish there when the current is too strong on the inside.  The sideways movement is minimal.  But south wind will wreak havoc to a land fisherman, and high surf will be dangerous there.  On the inside, you are more protected from the surf.  But a north wind (which is unusual) will wreak havoc, and anything more than a 2 kt current will eat your hooks.  Also the ebb current hits the inside of the south jetty much harder than an identical flood current.

The outside of the jetty pretty much requires going darn near to the end.  To the pelican hangout and the land of bird-poo covered rocks.  Pretty sure traction gets iffy there.  When on the inside you do not have to go nearly as far.

fishngamereaper:  you don't need much of a boat when the conditions are good.  Mine is just a 15' fiberglass, circa 1968.  I live and work near westport so can choose my tides.  I circle the 5 or so days a month that have the weakest currents and then go on whichever of those days where swell and wind are low enough.  Usually the wind picks up around mid-day so I like to launch at first light.

go to https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/noaacurrents/Predictions?id=PCT1291_1 for current predictions.  I have march 24-26 circled on my calendar as the first fantastic current days and will go on whatever of those days have good weather and swell, assuming I don't have work interferences unknown at this time.

https://marine.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=pzz156# will get you the ocean forecast.
How long til elk season?!??

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2021, 01:25:01 PM »

disclaimer: I fish the jetty from a boat so my knowledge/advice may not fully translate to fishing from the rocks.

To summarize, you need either the current to be slow (obviously slack tide is great) or you need the swell to be low.  And in both cases, you will want the wind to be manageable.

Current:  For fishing during non-slack, I try to find a day/time where the flood or ebb is less than 2 kts.  In a boat, I go to the submerged jetty during slack.

Swell:  I fish from a boat so am more susceptible to this than from the rocks, but the best places are farther out towards the tip.  Anything more than 7 feet is bad.

Wind: 10 mph is troublesome.  15 mph is bad.

The picture I posted earlier of my camera-shy daughter with a nice ling was taken on the OUTSIDE of the south jetty.  There are some good fish there when the current is too strong on the inside.  The sideways movement is minimal.  But south wind will wreak havoc to a land fisherman, and high surf will be dangerous there.  On the inside, you are more protected from the surf.  But a north wind (which is unusual) will wreak havoc, and anything more than a 2 kt current will eat your hooks.  Also the ebb current hits the inside of the south jetty much harder than an identical flood current.

The outside of the jetty pretty much requires going darn near to the end.  To the pelican hangout and the land of bird-poo covered rocks.  Pretty sure traction gets iffy there.  When on the inside you do not have to go nearly as far.

fishngamereaper:  you don't need much of a boat when the conditions are good.  Mine is just a 15' fiberglass, circa 1968.  I live and work near westport so can choose my tides.  I circle the 5 or so days a month that have the weakest currents and then go on whichever of those days where swell and wind are low enough.  Usually the wind picks up around mid-day so I like to launch at first light.

go to https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/noaacurrents/Predictions?id=PCT1291_1 for current predictions.  I have march 24-26 circled on my calendar as the first fantastic current days and will go on whatever of those days have good weather and swell, assuming I don't have work interferences unknown at this time.

https://marine.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=pzz156# will get you the ocean forecast.

Appreciate the thorough explanation.  This is excellent info. 

Looks like there are going to be some manageable mid-day high slacks the week of the opener and some excellent tides the week after.  Tentatively planning on camping out at the State Park the weekend of March 20-21.  If anyone wants to swing by for a post-fish beverage, hit me up.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2021, 01:52:22 PM »
[

Oh I Know...used to run for Tuna out of Westport in my 17' Hewes...until I bought my current Hewes.

You can fish the jetty in a Kayak some days.  :chuckle:

It can also eat the biggest of boats any given day. We Hit a rogue 15' wave a few years ago crossing in low viz fog. That was fun.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal