collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Can I use pellets?  (Read 2843 times)

Offline Sean10MM

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Pilgrim
Can I use pellets?
« on: February 05, 2021, 09:08:18 PM »
I have a Traditions ML rifle that uses musket caps, and I have some of the 4-petal 1081 caps on the way from Dixie Gun Works. . I'd like to see what this rifle can do, as I have not fired it yet and was wondering if I can use Hodgons pellets vs. loose Hodgons FFFG powder. I see both on the shelf at Sportsmans Warehouse and I'd like to ask the experts here before I buy something I cannot use effectively. Which of these propellant choices can I, or should I, use?

Thanks for your help!
Active on WaGuns, NWFA, and arfcom for years with tons of positive feedback.

Proud member of Hillary's nemesis... the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy.

Offline Smokepole

• Kevin Miller
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Can I use pellets?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 04:49:44 AM »
Works great for me.  I've even used pellets with #11 primers.  Just make sure to put the smooth side of the pellet down, facing the cap.  I use 2 of the 50 grain pellets for all my hunting and for my speed loaders.

Online Caseknife

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, SCI
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 06:38:21 AM »
I use pellets in my Traditions.  It shoots the 290 Barnes very accurate.

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 07:42:30 AM »
Never liked pellets. Harder to dial in a load unless your weapon just happens to like its load in the increments pellets are made. Pellets draw moisture easier and are harder to ignite. Stick with powder.

Offline Sean10MM

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 11:36:57 AM »
Thanks for the replies, everyone. For those using the pellets, are you using the Pyrodex pellets? I see on the package it says for modern inline ML' s using caps or primers, so I assume this is the one. I notice on the 777 pellet box it says 209 primers only, so I guess I'll stay away from those.

And fear not, I will try loose powder in the future. Even experiment with lead balls. I want to experience the full scope of Black Powder options that are out there... I just want to do it right.

Offline Smokepole

• Kevin Miller
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 06:00:40 PM »
Yes I use Pyrodex with caps. 

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 06:20:45 PM »
I use loose powder only because I have read horror stories of the pellets misfiring.    Knock on wood.....I have never had a misfire or hang fire with loose powder and musket caps.   I am switching to the 209 primer this year.....and will stay with loose powder. 

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2021, 07:09:12 PM »
Pellets are just so convenient. 

I tend to use them for hunting.   
They are plenty accurate for hunting, but you can dial in a most accurate load with losses powder. 

I have no issues with ignition. 
I use musket caps.   

Enjoy!!
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 07:34:54 PM »
Here we go again... First of all, I hate Traditions guns. I would be angry if someone bought me one as a gift. I know too many people who have been let down by them. You might have a perfectly fine gun. I have actually never hinted with one but I have shot them and worked on them trying to figure out what is wrong with them before. The spring wears out in the firing mechanism very easily. Buy an extra one. Now, don't use pellets... Use loose powder. Always. Just my opinion of course. I have only hunted with a muzzleloader for the last 12 yrs. I love it and you will too. I just don't want you to get discouraged. Make sure you shoot it alot in the spring and find out what combo works best for you. I only hunt with Thompson Center Black Diamonds and they always fire even after being loaded for 12 months. Covered in corrosion around the nipple and forgotten behind my farm pickup seat...  :dunno:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 08:17:13 PM by LDennis24 »

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2021, 08:25:26 PM »
Here we go again... First of all, I hate Traditions guns. I would be angry if someone bought me one as a gift. I know too many people who have been let down by them. You might have a perfectly fine gun. I have actually never hinted with one but I have shot them and worked on them trying to figure out what is wrong with them before. The spring wears out in the firing mechanism very easily. Buy an extra one. Now, don't use pellets... Use loose powder. Always. Just my opinion of course. I have only hunted with a muzzleloader for the last 12 yrs. I love it and you will too. I just don't want you to get discouraged. Make sure you shoot it alot in the spring and find out what combo works best for you. I only hunt with Thompson Center Black Diamonds and they always fire even after being loaded for 12 months. Covered in corrosion around the nipple and forgotten behind my farm pickup seat...  :dunno:

So do you like pellets or not???   Your post confused me. 

Offline 10thmountainarcher

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2021, 09:48:53 PM »
Shoot pellets and shoot loose, see what one you group better with. I can tell you I will never shoot pellets again, my TC black diamond didn’t like them at all, even with a musket cap nipple. If you are shooting 209s or similar you’ll probably have better results then I did.

Offline Smokepole

• Kevin Miller
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2021, 04:17:11 AM »
I have shot lots of pellets and various primers from both Traditions rifles I've owned.  Never a problem with either loose powder or pellets.  And I can say a thing or two about the striker springs that everyone has trouble with.  I had the same problems until I discovered the cause.

Traditions, and other inlines like my Thompson Black Diamond are prone to blow back, which coats the striker and bolt with a nice layer of fouling.  Some guys don't clean the spring and striker every time they shoot, so the spring takes quite a bit of corrosion.  This makes the spring rough, and weakens it.  It also decays the point of the striker, which reduces its effectiveness.  The Traditions carbon steel springs are cheap, so I always kept spares on hand, and learned to clean my rifle completely after each use. 

Problem solved.   8)

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2021, 11:30:06 AM »
Loose powder, always and forever, pellets will betray you!
And my black diamond guns don't have any firing problems with anything, and I hardly ever clean them until after the season is over or the next summer...  :chuckle: In fact they shoot better if you don't clean them after every shot. The first couple shots after cleaning are not as accurate as the next few in my experience. Pellets or loose powder. No. 11 or musket or 209. Doesn't matter. Honestly, it's what the gun likes. And what gun you like. I've never shot 209 because I don't need to. My gun works fine with what I have going on already so why spend money on something I don't need or that might not be an "improvement".  :twocents:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 11:35:55 AM by LDennis24 »

Offline Sean10MM

• Pilgrim
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2021, 09:13:35 PM »
Thanks for all your replies everybody. I will try out some FFG and Pyrodex behind some of the Federal BORLOCK Trophy Vopper bullets I have and see how she does. Seems like the consensus is that the Traditions rifles are not all that great. I do plan on getting either a Knight or a CVA ML in the near future.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal